IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your experiences with potted Arecas?

Hardypalms

Hi

Not the Dypsis but Areca. Im in Z7b and was thinking about starting some from seed. Put them outside from April to October and in and out November to March depending on weather. Pics appreciated too.

Thxs

Pat

Hi! Areca palms (Dypsis lutescens) can be grown from seed with some patience and care. Here are some tips to help you get started:

Obtain fresh seeds: Areca palm seeds have a short shelf life and should be sown as soon as possible after harvesting. Look for seeds that are plump and firm, with a brownish-black color.

Soak the seeds: Before sowing, soak the seeds in warm water for 24-48 hours. This will help to soften the seed coat and improve germination rates.

Prepare the soil: Areca palms prefer well-draining soil that is rich in organic matter. Mix together equal parts of peat moss, sand, and perlite to create a loose, well-draining soil mixture.

Sow the seeds: Fill a small pot or seed tray with the soil mixture and sow the seeds about 1 inch deep. Water the soil well and cover the pot or tray with plastic wrap to create a humid environment.

Provide warmth and light: Areca palm seeds require warm temperatures (around 80°F) and bright, indirect light to germinate. Place the pot or tray in a warm, bright location, such as on top of a heating mat or near a sunny window.

Keep the soil moist: Water the soil regularly to keep it evenly moist, but not waterlogged. Avoid letting the soil dry out completely, as this can damage the developing seedlings.

Transplant the seedlings: Once the seedlings have developed 2-3 leaves, they can be transplanted into larger pots or directly into the garden. Gradually acclimate them to outdoor conditions over a period of 1-2 weeks.

Give them a shot (always in pots, never in the ground in GA). That said, the only Arecas I’ve been able to keep alive, either potted or planted, are A catechu Dwarf/semi-dwarf. All my dwarfs are now planted as they grew too unwieldy to move in pots. I do have one normal A catechu planted overlooking the canal for several years, also a catechu alba planted in what’s left of my jungle. All survived Ian and winter, so far, although long term prognosis is questionable.

I’ve tried a number of Areca spp from seed but haven’t been able to grow them past 1- to 3g size. I’ve bought them already in 1- to 3g pots but haven’t been able to keep them alive more than 6-12 months. Is it them? Is it me? I don’t know but I do know they are uber tropicals that are very sensitive to cold but also apparently have limits on how much swelter they can take in FL. They are prone to going into declines ending in inevitable death.

I still love the genus and haven’t been able to give up on it entirely. Any thoughts or advice?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I had a small potted areca palm, it was outside during the humid summer we had, it grew a lot, but then when winter came, we put it in the house and by christmas it died from like zero humidity and moisture in the air. It had an okay ride, just like my P robellini died from a random fungi.

Ok, i am taking Arecas off my list. I m glad i asked. Too many that will make it to waste time with the ones that won’t.

Thxs Meg and Chicagopalma

Pat

I have a potted Areca Catechu I ordered from Colima last year. They grow really fast. It produced 3 new fronds in its pot last year. Handled some cold and spent half a month indoors. It's starting to grow again, very slowly but it's definitely going to the ground in a protected spot some day.

20230228_181156.thumb.jpg.1f8d5632ea78f297e97cedcd4065d91f.jpg

On 2/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, Hardypalms said:

Like Areca catechu, not Dypsis.

Thxs

Pat

The bot didn't even notice the name has been changed from Dypsis lutescens to Chrisalidocarpus lutescens. 

Edited by iko.

iko.