IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty Palm Outdoors in Zone 8b Questions

Pee Dee Palms

I recently purchased a Majesty Palm from Lowe's and am planning to have it outside only during the spring and summer months here in Myrtle Beach. First off, I am not sure really where to put it. Some sources I see are saying that they like a lot of sunlight and others are saying that they like more shade, so I'm not really sure. I've got one area that I think could be a pretty good contender, I've attached pictures of this area. It is a south facing area with a very good bit of protection from wind. I'd say it gets no sun from sunrise to about 1 or 1:30 in the afternoon, but then it gets full sun from then on until sunset (it isn't on the south side of the house, but it is a south facing wall that is protected from the rest of the house). The siding is painted a bright yellow which I imagine reflects quite a bit of sunlight, not sure if this is good or bad.  Just wondering if this is a good spot for a Majesty. Also, a big question I have is what kind of fertilizer should I use. I don't know the specific kind of nutrients that makes Majesty Palms really thrive, but I'd like to know. I've kept Majesty Palms indoors but don't have any experience with them outdoors in pots, might I add I unsuccessfully kept them. So if any of y'all have had some experience with growing Majesty Palms in pots successfully and having them thrive, give me some advice.2.thumb.jpg.ee51d42adfce1f68a290c3d9b87942cf.jpg2.jpg.e982439cca1ac90476f6e26398c8f1c4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Plenty of water, but make sure it drains well. During the summer, mine get full sun. I actually had an issue last summer where the roots pushed the palm upwards, so i had to fill in with more soil and stake it in the pot. Fertilize with whatever fertilizer you use with other palms, you could probably do a small amount once every month to keep it going well. If you do deep waterings, it would be necessary to fertilize every month since you would be flushing it out basically.

Might i ask though, can we get pictures of the Majesty? Im curious to see if the fronds are dark green or really pale green. Mine is pale but its still growing well.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

I'm in 8A, but it's pretty much the same since I'm an hour away from Myrtle Beach, but I leave mine out in full sun through spring to the end of summer; I don't even let it acclimate to full sun. I kind of just set it out because it kind of has to get over it. I'll get shade cloth eventually to help it, but as of now it's at the mercy of the sun. I keep its water tray full at all times and fertilize it monthly, and by the end of summer it looks decent considering last summer was its first summer outside after I rescued it off the plant clearance rack at Lowes

Probably is preference how you want it to look 🤠

These photos are from last august, It looks so bad atm because of spider mites 😠

IMG-4118.jpg

IMG-4121.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JLM said:

Plenty of water, but make sure it drains well. During the summer, mine get full sun. I actually had an issue last summer where the roots pushed the palm upwards, so i had to fill in with more soil and stake it in the pot. Fertilize with whatever fertilizer you use with other palms, you could probably do a small amount once every month to keep it going well. If you do deep waterings, it would be necessary to fertilize every month since you would be flushing it out basically.

Might i ask though, can we get pictures of the Majesty? Im curious to see if the fronds are dark green or really pale green. Mine is pale but its still growing well.

Thanks for the advice. Here are some pictures of the beauty.20230227_114550.thumb.jpg.e524901ad2d4db05822cb184b26ca289.jpg20230227_114559.thumb.jpg.94e85b92e1d491be491291a9bd8024f0.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I'm in 8A, but it's pretty much the same since I'm an hour away from Myrtle Beach, but I leave mine out in full sun through spring to the end of summer; I don't even let it acclimate to full sun. I kind of just set it out because it kind of has to get over it. I'll get shade cloth eventually to help it, but as of now it's at the mercy of the sun. I keep its water tray full at all times and fertilize it monthly, and by the end of summer it looks decent considering last summer was its first summer outside after I rescued it off the plant clearance rack at Lowes

Probably is preference how you want it to look 🤠

These photos are from last august, It looks so bad atm because of spider mites 😠

IMG-4118.jpg

IMG-4121.jpg

That's one nice looking palm! Yeah, I hate spider mites too. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Thanks for the advice. Here are some pictures of the beauty.20230227_114550.thumb.jpg.e524901ad2d4db05822cb184b26ca289.jpg20230227_114559.thumb.jpg.94e85b92e1d491be491291a9bd8024f0.jpg

It's purty! Greenest palm I've ever seen from a big box store.

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

My two majesties have been in full FL sun since 1993. I strongly suspect they are palms that hate pots and demand to be planted and that is why they make terrible houseplants. If you keep them potted, choose pots that have straight sides rather than urns or narrow bottoms unless you want to break or cut them when you want to repot. They want lots of water, good drainage and are fertilizer hogs. I discovered after Hurricane Ian that planted large majesties are surprisingly resilient in cat 4/5 winds.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Welp, here it is. Let me know if I planted it too high or too deep. I had to take a lot of dirt off the base because for some reason whoever stuck it in the plastic pot to be sold buried the base with dirt. I used just standard Miracle-Gro potting soil, hopefully that was the right move. I made sure to stick it in a planter that kept it off the ground so it could drain well too.20230227_171913.thumb.jpg.1854979131b7c129a895cf8ddf694afd.jpg20230227_171925.thumb.jpg.9ab8c24bc54f430d22c3105f908d7173.jpg

Edited by General Sylvester D. Palm
  • Like 2

Looks awesome to me! I'm so bad at planting palms at the correct level but it looks correct to me, the dark green foilage is so pretty 🤠

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Looks awesome to me! I'm so bad at planting palms at the correct level but it looks correct to me, the dark green foilage is so pretty 🤠

Yeah I mean hey, we shall see what it does. Hopefully the Miracle-Gro potting soil will work for it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in 5B and my Majesty goes outside as soon as the frost date is passed and is often in full sun for 8-10 hours per day.  Might get a little burnt on the weak winter fronds, but they come back fast and dark green.  Often it'll throw two or three spears at once.  But you gotta keep water on them.  If they dry out in the sun they roast.  Once I get into July and early August they're usually hard and mean, but I'll still hit 'em with the hose once a day if the temps are 95F+   

The only Majesty I ever lost was due to crown rot, otherwise they had to be donated for not fitting in my (then) apartment come fall.  Always my most unkillable palm.

• Upvote 2

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Idk what happened, My majesty declined with 2 weeks from having a full head of leaves down to just these and I'm not sure if its gonna make it, It will be 80s and 70s in the 2 days so hopefully it holds over long enought to get it out into some heat.

So annoying

IMG-8684.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Idk what happened, My majesty declined with 2 weeks from having a full head of leaves down to just these and I'm not sure if its gonna make it, It will be 80s and 70s in the 2 days so hopefully it holds over long enought to get it out into some heat.

So annoying

Could it have been over fertilization?

4 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

Could it have been over fertilization?

I haven’t fertilized it in a couple months when it started to decline, I fertilized it recently but that’s after the decline which is what it looks like now and the cold came back so it had to come back in and I haven’t watered it much being indoors, just keeping it moist when I can and not wet

That looks pretty rough. Whenever you do get it outside, water that thing pretty good and hope for the best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I haven’t fertilized it in a couple months when it started to decline, I fertilized it recently but that’s after the decline which is what it looks like now and the cold came back so it had to come back in and I haven’t watered it much being indoors, just keeping it moist when I can and not wet

ZPalms - You had spider mites at the end of last summer….my indoor royals succumbed to them long after I thought the treatment worked.  When they are inside the dormant mites do a job on royals. That’s my prediction. Hope you can get it outside asap and do a soil drench like Advance, and/or spray the spear and remaining leaves with a horticultural spread, like bride or similar. Good luck

• Like 1

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

Is this the end? I had only existing half frond collapse and the spear pulled so idk if it’s toast

what a mess

FCD7D823-0C78-467D-9502-7AD8950B0688.jpeg

FB008986-3C8D-4DAC-A8B2-849D7CD9A072.jpeg

49 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Is this the end? I had only existing half frond collapse and the spear pulled so idk if it’s toast

what a mess

FCD7D823-0C78-467D-9502-7AD8950B0688.jpeg

FB008986-3C8D-4DAC-A8B2-849D7CD9A072.jpeg

I had one indoors that did that exact same thing, hate to say it, but I guarantee you it's dead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

I had one indoors that did that exact same thing, hate to say it, but I guarantee you it's dead.

Well that sucks, I guess if I get another I'm gonna try a inorganic soil mix like coco coir, I think after I didnt water it for a long time because I didnt want the soil to sit super moist for so long so when I finally did water it I drenched the pot because it was really dry which probably let it sit cool and wet for so long and the sand probably didnt let the soil air out 😭

7 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Well that sucks, I guess if I get another I'm gonna try a inorganic soil mix like coco coir, I think after I didnt water it for a long time because I didnt want the soil to sit super moist for so long so when I finally did water it I drenched the pot because it was really dry which probably let it sit cool and wet for so long and the sand probably didnt let the soil air out 😭

It could be something to do with the soil, but if I were to have to guess, it is probably more the spider mites. I've lost MULTIPLE Majesty Palms from spider mites. The new one I have is outside, so I'll have to come up with a plan for the winter. I might have a local greenhouse take care of it for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

It could be something to do with the soil, but if I were to have to guess, it is probably more the spider mites. I've lost MULTIPLE Majesty Palms from spider mites. The new one I have is outside, so I'll have to come up with a plan for the winter. I might have a local greenhouse take care of it for me.

I didn't know greenhouse places could do that for you or do you just have good luck and good circumstance 😂 I should of tried a systemic insecticide.

I'm gonna leave the majesty outside and hit it with fungicide and maybe it will come back but I'm not counting on it

I would really love to grow a majesty from seed, I feel like having full control over the plant from the start would give me more success

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I didn't know greenhouse places could do that for you or do you just have good luck and good circumstance 😂 I should of tried a systemic insecticide.

I'm gonna leave the majesty outside and hit it with fungicide and maybe it will come back but I'm not counting on it

I would really love to grow a majesty from seed, I feel like having full control over the plant from the start would give me more success

I'm pretty sure some greenhouses do that, I'll just have to find one that does. :lol:

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't throw it away just yet, definitely spray some fungicide and maybe pour some hydrogen peroxide down the hole and let it sit for a few hours. One of my Queens in the ground has/had some rot issue with the newly emerging frond, it didn't spear pull but there was still some rot down there. I sprayed the whole palm with copper fungicide, didn't let any rain get on it, and poured some hydrogen peroxide near the growth point and now it seems to be pushing all that gunk out. That stuff works miracles.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

I'm pretty sure some greenhouses do that, I'll just have to find one that does. :lol:

And yeah, I definitely wouldn't throw it away just yet, definitely spray some fungicide and maybe pour some hydrogen peroxide down the hole and let it sit for a few hours. One of my Queens in the ground has/had some rot issue with the newly emerging frond, it didn't spear pull but there was still some rot down there. I sprayed the whole palm with copper fungicide, didn't let any rain get on it, and poured some hydrogen peroxide near the growth point and now it seems to be pushing all that gunk out. That stuff works miracles.

I feel like I'd have trust issues, I thought of asking some place to take care of my coconut but I bet they would kill it or they end up selling it 😂

I'm gonna do that now and spray some copper fungicide down the hole and hopefully it has the same luck as your queen!!! 😍

• Like 2

Don’t forget that peroxide. It will tell you all you need to know

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9a NE Florida: 2 Phoenix Sylvester; 1 p.robellini; 2 Bismarckia nobilis; 1 Trachycarpus fortunei; 3  livistonia chenesis; 1 Dypsis decaryi; 1 Rhapis excelsa; 1 Sabal palmetto; 1 (double) Copernicia alba; 1 Chamaedorea catractarum 1 Licuala grandis, 1 Beaucanea recurvata, numerous cycads, tropicals, orchids. Winter 2022/23 Low 25F

2 hours ago, Almisa said:

Don’t forget that peroxide. It will tell you all you need to know

It told me too much, It's just all mushy and I blame the sand I put on the top of the soil to stop the gnats over the winter and I guess it didn't let the soil breathe and the sand I was up against the trunk and rotted it from the bottom 😭

IMG_8727.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZPalms said:

It told me too much, It's just all mushy and I blame the sand I put on the top of the soil to stop the gnats over the winter and I guess it didn't let the soil breathe and the sand I was up against the trunk and rotted it from the bottom 😭

IMG_8727.jpeg

Ah man, sorry about that. I really think Majesty Palms don't like being in pots tbh. Sometimes I think about sticking mine in the ground and just protecting it like crazy over winter, but I don't think I have the money to do that lol.

That’s what I did (I said that exact thing on the Plants in Pots thread).  It started out a 6’ beauty. After struggling for 2 years i placed in the ground last spring when it was on its last legs. By December it had leafed out nicely - small but full. It burnt up over this past Christmas’ multi day freeze. I applied copper fungicide twice in January and finally had to cur it fully back in mid February. The last pic below is today. Coming back nicely.  I’m not sure I will ever save it from defoliating while outside. C534958F-C942-459D-89CD-28631573DEA0.thumb.jpeg.34728e414d44ec0a86999b675599e078.jpeg4E53BC22-5BC2-4B6C-9593-AC9A8E298F9D.thumb.jpeg.f128ceac2d0523a91fe259fdb51ef9e8.jpeg

00663B36-24C3-4C6F-8FF6-FD1C9292C8A6.thumb.jpeg.cec5ed2f9e32bb3b98a860b194fb9eec.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Almisa said:

That’s what I did (I said that exact thing on the Plants in Pots thread).  It started out a 6’ beauty. After struggling for 2 years i placed in the ground last spring when it was on its last legs. By December it had leafed out nicely - small but full. It burnt up over this past Christmas’ multi day freeze. I applied copper fungicide twice in January and finally had to cur it fully back in mid February. The last pic below is today. Coming back nicely.  I’m not sure I will ever save it from defoliating while outside. C534958F-C942-459D-89CD-28631573DEA0.thumb.jpeg.34728e414d44ec0a86999b675599e078.jpeg4E53BC22-5BC2-4B6C-9593-AC9A8E298F9D.thumb.jpeg.f128ceac2d0523a91fe259fdb51ef9e8.jpeg

00663B36-24C3-4C6F-8FF6-FD1C9292C8A6.thumb.jpeg.cec5ed2f9e32bb3b98a860b194fb9eec.jpeg

That really makes me want to try out planting it in the ground... I'm sure it'd be really challenging but worth it if it survives.

9 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

That really makes me want to try out planting it in the ground... I'm sure it'd be really challenging but worth it if it survives.

Mine survived 1 winter in ground with nothing but overhead canopy. Low of 22F. Completely defoliated, but it came back quickly. It died at this winter though which is unfortunate. I do have a replacement Majesty in a pot and ready to go in the ground. Its been throwing new spears left and right.

One thing about my potted majesty is that the base of it is just a tad bit above the soil line, so i can see just a little bit of the roots coming out of it, but not much. Probably enough to keep it from rotting in that miracle grow mud.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JLM said:

Mine survived 1 winter in ground with nothing but overhead canopy. Low of 22F. Completely defoliated, but it came back quickly. It died at this winter though which is unfortunate. I do have a replacement Majesty in a pot and ready to go in the ground. Its been throwing new spears left and right.

One thing about my potted majesty is that the base of it is just a tad bit above the soil line, so i can see just a little bit of the roots coming out of it, but not much. Probably enough to keep it from rotting in that miracle grow mud.

Interesting, and you're in a somewhat similar hardiness zone to me, maybe a bit warmer but that still gives me hope. I use Miracle-Gro potting soil and add perlite to it, what do you do?

And that is interesting about the roots being slightly above the soil, maybe I'll try that.

34 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Interesting, and you're in a somewhat similar hardiness zone to me, maybe a bit warmer but that still gives me hope. I use Miracle-Gro potting soil and add perlite to it, what do you do?

And that is interesting about the roots being slightly above the soil, maybe I'll try that.

With the soil, its just straight miracle grow lol

The only edits ive made is for the coconut, which i added some sand. 

Ill take a pic in a minute to kinda show you what i mean, i want to make sure we are on the same page here.

I do need to fertilize the potted stuff, they haven't had any in quite a while.

IMG_20230325_143210976.jpg

IMG_20230325_143151461.jpg

IMG_20230325_143341303_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JLM said:

I do need to fertilize the potted stuff, they haven't had any in quite a while.

IMG_20230325_143210976.jpg

IMG_20230325_143151461.jpg

IMG_20230325_143341303_HDR.jpg

Nice, it's quite pretty! Are those newer green fronds ones that it has put out since you have had it, or were they there when you bought it?

53 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Nice, it's quite pretty! Are those newer green fronds ones that it has put out since you have had it, or were they there when you bought it?

Thanks! Ive had it for probably up to a year or more at this point, but im not so sure.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 1:14 AM, JLM said:

So question, JLM - you use the miracle grow potting soil for in ground planting?  Also, sorry you lost the other one this year.  I would heavily protect that base and heart next winter, regardless,  especially with the exposed root, to help survive. This is my 2nd survival year of my potted -to -ground majesty and i am hoping for a bigger (and sooner) regrowth.

Also, in place of majesty, a decided to try a potted Cat Palm (Chamaedorea cataractarum) now which I bought in December.  From the start it has seemed much happier and easier in pot both in the house and outside. E35CC9EA-395A-4BAE-816E-50EB7CA52D0A.thumb.jpeg.05ee2a5f52aa4fdf0bae0999f5d7c4ba.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Almisa said:

So question, JLM - you use the miracle grow potting soil for in ground planting?  Also, sorry you lost the other one this year.  I would heavily protect that base and heart next winter, regardless,  especially with the exposed root, to help survive. This is my 2nd survival year of my potted -to -ground majesty and i am hoping for a bigger (and sooner) regrowth.

Also, in place of majesty, a decided to try a potted Cat Palm (Chamaedorea cataractarum) now which I bought in December.  From the start it has seemed much happier and easier in pot both in the house and outside. E35CC9EA-395A-4BAE-816E-50EB7CA52D0A.thumb.jpeg.05ee2a5f52aa4fdf0bae0999f5d7c4ba.jpeg

I use the miracle grow for pots. Whenever i plant, i just plop it in the ground with the soil it had in the pot and then fill in with native soil. My cat palm, which has been neglected lately but will be planted soon, has actually started flowering.

6 minutes ago, JLM said:

I use the miracle grow for pots. Whenever i plant, i just plop it in the ground with the soil it had in the pot and then fill in with native soil. My cat palm, which has been neglected lately but will be planted soon, has actually started flowering.

Yes -transfer with same.  Sorry - I thought you meant that you were also using miracle grow in the ground vs native soil. Your cat is in the ground? 

2 hours ago, Almisa said:

Yes -transfer with same.  Sorry - I thought you meant that you were also using miracle grow in the ground vs native soil. Your cat is in the ground? 

Yep, just stuck it in the ground less than an hour ago. I actually did back fill with miracle grow this time since i ended up hitting a small ant colony by accident. The native soil will be used to fill in somewhere else in the yard that has flooding issues once the ants are out of it. Not sticking my hands in that right now lol

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JLM said:

Yep, just stuck it in the ground less than an hour ago. I actually did back fill with miracle grow this time since i ended up hitting a small ant colony by accident. The native soil will be used to fill in somewhere else in the yard that has flooding issues once the ants are out of it. Not sticking my hands in that right now lol

JLM, Good stuff. We are being inundated by fire ants AND armadillo!