IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC'S MARCH 18, 2023 MEETING IN FALLBROOK!

DoomsDave

Palm Lovers:

The PSSC will have its March 18, 2023 meeting at two well-established gardens in Fallbrook, in northern San Diego County: Garden One is the home and garden of Gregg and Linda Opgenorth, 40787 Via De La Roca, Fallbrook, CA 92028; Garden Two is at the home and garden of John and Leland Otto, 1617 Prince Street. Fallbrook, CA 92028.

Garden One: The Opgenorths have hosted PSSC meetings in the past, and this wonderful garden has only gotten better with time. This two-acre lot is one of the palmiest places you'll ever see. A big Parajubaea torallyi torallyi, plus TrithrinaxPhoenix, gorgeous Arenga engleri, New Caledonians, and arbor and path after glorious walkway of so many palms and other plants you have to see to believe. If you've seen it already, refresh your memory; if this is your first time, do join us! 

Garden Two: John and Leland Otto began their garden in 2010 by clearing a 1 acre-plus lot, then importing soil and large rocks, and  raising mounds of same to create a sculpted surface, into which plant groupings were organized to contrast size and color.  The results speak - more like scream - for themselves. The Ottos planted many species that like their inland heat. Notable examples include Hyaphaene coracea, with rusty orange highlights that look lit from within, plus Copernicia prunifera and fallensis, which are beginning to form trunk. Most impressive is a Medima argun at 10’ to top of leaf, showing deep black and yellow coloration in the crownshaft. Plus, many many other wonderful palms including Braheas, Phoenix, Cyphophoenix, Beccariophoenix, Kentiopsis, Revenea, Allagoptera, Coccothrinax, Livistona, Pinanga and Dypsis. There's even a fantastic Psuedophoenix sargentii with about two feet of trunk.  Many species of Cuban Copernicia are emphasized with over  a dozen plants and species. Other heat loving  palm species include Hyphaene, Trithrinax and Sabal. There are also numerous rare trees, aloes and companion plants to round out this exciting garden. 

POTLUCK LUNCH

We'll be having a potluck lunch with chicken provided. Bring your favorite dish to share; meat, vegetables, dessert, or any combination all greatly appreciated. Make it yourself, or buy and bring it - if you like it, we will too! If it's grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better. We don't care if your grandma was from Munchen, Mumbai, or Montgomery Alabama. Come feast on food, and the joint joys of palms and good fellowship on a glorious almost-spring day.  

AUCTION

There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash, though, due to expenses relating to credit card transactions, we greatly appreciate cash and checks, if possible.

As everyone is aware, the Covid 19 pandemic, and the forced closures of group events has hurt the PSSC's finances badly as the auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC. The recent "re-start" auctions have helped a great deal, but more is needed; your participation by donating and buying will help immensely. If you have a question about a possible donation, contact Dave Bleistein at 323-481-5071 via text or email at urkurk2000@gmail.com.

Since we have a limited time in which to conduct the auction, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc. We also appreciate liners and "freebie" plants as well for the plant raffle.

Thanks to all of our donors!

ITINERARY:

9:30 AM: Board of Directors Meeting
11 AM: General Members arrive at the Opgenorth residence and tour the garden and swoon.
12:15 PM: Depart the Opgenorth  garden and go to the Otto Garden. Bring your food item.
12:30 PM: Potluck lunch. Tables and chairs will be available
1:00 PM: Tour the Otto Garden and swoon again!
2:15PM: Begin General Meeting. Announcements, Auction and Raffle
4:00 PM: Meeting adjourns
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So, who's coming?

There's gonna be a potluck!

Might cook something. Hmm. Maybe Mexican Mother-in-Law-Stew? Or Cardio-nutso-sausage Gumbo? Or HOLY Pozole . . . .

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Come one, come all, let us know so we can make sure there's gonna be enough food.

Getting hungry already, oiling up Mr. Voicebox . . . .

• Like 2

This weekend!

• Upvote 1

Thank you Dave!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On our way!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)