IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lipstick palm

Jamesypalm

Hello all,

I got my brand new lipstick palm around a month ago. Lots of new shoots coming up but two leaves have turned yellow/brown. Just a bit concerned. 

It’s outside during the day , and inside at night. ( Newcastle NSW ). Is there any special care advice that I should do at night ( Grow lamp?)   It will be indoor all the time over winter and may have to get a grow lamp as a perfect spot might be hard to find in the house for light. 

appreciate any advice. 

Many thanks

B079150E-B199-45D6-B01A-E08E08B0C073.jpeg

A922B384-15F9-4BB0-8FA5-EF9F8BAC135A.jpeg

• Like 1

On first glance a main thing to consider is the moisture needs of your lipstick.  Unlike most palm varieties that decline with a wet substrate, c. renda has an almost unquenchable thirst and will grow semi aquatically if given the chance.  If your soil mixture is even coming close to drying out between watering it will react poorly.  A common solution to this is placing the pot in a catch tray that always has a bit of water in it so the substrate never dries out.

Other than that, cold is the main enemy of the fragile lipstick.  Keep her damp and cozy.

• Upvote 1

Yellowing or browning of leaves on a newly acquired Lipstick Palm can be a sign of transplant shock, which is common when plants are moved to a new environment. However, there are several other factors that can contribute to leaf discoloration, including improper watering, temperature fluctuations, and inadequate lighting. Since your plant is outside during the day and inside at night, it's important to make sure it's getting enough light during the day. Lipstick Palms prefer bright, indirect light, so if the plant is not getting enough natural light, a grow lamp could be a good solution. A grow lamp can help provide the necessary light during the winter months when natural light is limited. In terms of watering, make sure the soil is moist but not waterlogged. Overwatering can lead to root rot and cause the leaves to turn yellow or brown. Also, avoid letting the plant sit in standing water, as this can lead to waterlogging and root damage. Temperature fluctuations can also stress the plant and cause leaf discoloration. Keep the plant away from drafts or sudden temperature changes, and make sure the indoor temperature is consistent. Overall, to care for your Lipstick Palm, it's important to provide it with the right amount of light, water, and temperature. If you notice any additional signs of distress or leaf discoloration, consider consulting a plant expert or taking the plant to a local nursery for further advice.

I grew green and red lipsticks under shade cloth on my lanai for years until they grew too tall for the birdcage. When temps fell below 45F/8C we rolled them indoors. I did one thing religiously: I kept the pots sitting in trays of water at all times. Proviso #1: never, ever let their potting medium dry out or they will die. Also, a palm grower told me lipsticks are prone to deadly fungal attacks during cold/cool weather. He advised me to spray them with a fungicide containing mancozeb every couple of months from Nov. through March (FL cool season). I did so religiously for years and had no major problems with either palm up until I sold them. I’m no longer willing or able to deal with such high maintenance palms again. Good luck with yours.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:46 PM, rootholic said:

Yellowing or browning of leaves on a newly acquired Lipstick Palm can be a sign of transplant shock, which is common when plants are moved to a new environment. However, there are several other factors that can contribute to leaf discoloration, including improper watering, temperature fluctuations, and inadequate lighting. Since your plant is outside during the day and inside at night, it's important to make sure it's getting enough light during the day. Lipstick Palms prefer bright, indirect light, so if the plant is not getting enough natural light, a grow lamp could be a good solution. A grow lamp can help provide the necessary light during the winter months when natural light is limited. In terms of watering, make sure the soil is moist but not waterlogged. Overwatering can lead to root rot and cause the leaves to turn yellow or brown. Also, avoid letting the plant sit in standing water, as this can lead to waterlogging and root damage. Temperature fluctuations can also stress the plant and cause leaf discoloration. Keep the plant away from drafts or sudden temperature changes, and make sure the indoor temperature is consistent. Overall, to care for your Lipstick Palm, it's important to provide it with the right amount of light, water, and temperature. If you notice any additional signs of distress or leaf discoloration, consider consulting a plant expert or taking the plant to a local nursery for further advice.   Also visits this site for more information about house plants

https://rootgroot.com/half-moon-monstera/