IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are your opinions on my Trachy damage?

Hardypalms

I m in zone 7b, South Eastern USA. My large Trachy which i grew from a seed myself took a beating.

My 2 other smaller trachys did well on the crown and spear area.

If it dies, it dies it’s just part of this hobby. I just can’t climb on my roof to throw frost clothes and tarps down on it.

I think if it makes it, i might hire a roofer or landscaper next winter and just pay the fee. I dont think it would cost an arm and a leg for a pro to climb and throw a tarp/Frost clothe down on it and secure it. A 30 mn job.

Your opinion on the damage is appreciated

Pat6D40F120-282B-4889-AA32-994956619C39.thumb.jpeg.a873f88691985a3dd3317f8e49267446.jpegC5C285D8-5ECE-4E08-BBF1-49FA4409E7BF.thumb.jpeg.e1bb6f032cac6245d4817e4985aa655d.jpeg

The damage doesn't look terminal to me although it may well spearpull. I'd suggest that you (or somebody else) get up on a ladder to see if the spear(s) will actually pull out.

Then, it's a case of treating with Hydrogen Peroxide, perhaps several times until any fizzing stops. This would mean that any further rotting would be stopped. Each time there's fizzing, I would use rolled up kitchen roll to suck up the moisture. Perhaps a treatment with a copper fungicide would be beneficial too.

Then it's a case of trying to keep any water from getting into the hole. I've suggested elsewhere that perhaps using a plug of children's Plasticine might do the trick??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I suspect with that much "greenage" left, and the bud encased on top of that trunk and less exposed, it will be fine.  Going to have a couple new deformed(damaged) leaves.  

Nice palm!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, eddie said:

The damage doesn't look terminal to me although it may well spearpull. I'd suggest that you (or somebody else) get up on a ladder to see if the spear(s) will actually pull out.

Then, it's a case of treating with Hydrogen Peroxide, perhaps several times until any fizzing stops. This would mean that any further rotting would be stopped. Each time there's fizzing, I would use rolled up kitchen roll to suck up the moisture. Perhaps a treatment with a copper fungicide would be beneficial too.

Then it's a case of trying to keep any water from getting into the hole. I've suggested elsewhere that perhaps using a plug of children's Plasticine might do the trick??

Eddie

I appreciate the help but it’s too high for me. I will probably just pray and see what happens. 

Thank-you

pat

I've seen varying amounts of damage on fortuneis in Gwinnett. I believe yours will be fine. Things will just take a couple of summers to look like they did back in November. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jwitt said:

I suspect with that much "greenage" left, and the bud encased on top of that trunk and less exposed, it will be fine.  Going to have a couple new deformed(damaged) leaves.  

Nice palm!

Jwitt

Thanks a lot. It’s going to be interesting. I think i m going to let nature do its thing this year but if we get another one or 2 arctic blast next winter again, it will be toast.

I think i might have like a skylight built in my attic and i could access it like that. I just can’t climb a ladder. I have until Novembre to think about it and put a plan into effect.

Thanks again

Pat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeanK said:

I've seen varying amounts of damage on fortuneis in Gwinnett. I believe yours will be fine. Things will just take a couple of summers to look like they did back in November. 

Sean

It’s really funny, me too i see varying levels on damage on Trachys in North Fulton. 

Pat

7 minutes ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

It will survive 👍🌴🌴🌞

Thank-you.. All these years since it was a seed i have had it. First year it gets a beating. So i m not new to palms but to one taking a beating YES.

Thanks for the kind words!

Pat