IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala maculata and/or L. sp. 'Kalimantan'

Missi

I am looking to purchase these two species from US seller(s). To be shipped to Florida. Thanks!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

5 minutes ago, Missi said:

I am looking to purchase these two species from US seller(s). To be shipped to Florida. Thanks!

Floribunda has Licuala Maculata seedlings for sale right now.  Kinda pricey at $12 each, but they are rare!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:07 PM, Merlyn said:

Floribunda has Licuala Maculata seedlings for sale right now.  Kinda pricey at $12 each, but they are rare!

Yes, thank you! I don’t have the remainder of  $100 worth of palms to add to the order because I’m trying to only get plants I absolutely must have since I already have so many and don’t want to get more than I have space for! Well, I will have another look at the list. I am sure I can find some things! Haha

Yesterday I ordered 6 Kalimantan seeds from a UK seller on eBay. Hopefully I will have luck with them. Otherwise I will have to try importing a plant from an Indonesian eBay seller.

@Missiyes, I have that problem too.  I look at the price list and can easily find $500 in palms that would be neat to try.  Then I remember that I have ~315 palms in the ground out of almost 1000 individual plantings, and another 220 seedlings in pots.  I have to stop myself and say, "Do I really need to try Licuala Lauterbachii or Rumphii?  They look a lot like Spinosa and are a lot less cold hardy....er....maybe I don't need them!"  :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 12:07 PM, Merlyn said:

I just bought these from there. Live in Homestead. 2-day shipping, best prices anywhere, and super quality. ***They are very young… likely years before you get a good looking Licuala :) ***

It’s a 2-person operation there, so it may take a bit to ship… but the price and quality are UNMATCHED. 

IF I haven’t blown enough smoke at them yet… this was my 4th order with them. If they have it, I don’t go anywhere else :) 

That said, Since you cannot meet the minimum, if you’re in Homestead in the near future, I’ll give you one. I think they’re likely the only place (aside from buying seed) selling. 

On 2/25/2023 at 3:06 PM, Merlyn said:

@Missiyes, I have that problem too.  I look at the price list and can easily find $500 in palms that would be neat to try.  Then I remember that I have ~315 palms in the ground out of almost 1000 individual plantings, and another 220 seedlings in pots.  I have to stop myself and say, "Do I really need to try Licuala Lauterbachii or Rumphii?  They look a lot like Spinosa and are a lot less cold hardy....er....maybe I don't need them!"  :D

The answer is always yes :)  you do 🤣

• Like 2

UPDATE: Kalimantan has been located. Still in search of maculata. Maybe I will break down and place a Floribunda order.

• Like 2