IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best palms to grow here in Chicago

ChicagoPalma

8 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

You mentioned that word delusional.  Isn't it delusional to claim that you can successfully grow Queens or other tropical palms in the UK ? Any 30 to 100 year survivors or are you going to blame it on accessibility that I hear a lot?  Internet shopping exists since late 90s in Europe.  

Chicago guy will show us how it's done and if he fails at least he did everything possible I give him my respect for trying it. 

I like his determination to grow palms in Chicago too and i think it would be good to realise that no amount of climate data talk can replace real life palm growing and experimenting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Regarding Queens, I acknowledge that is more wishful thinking than anything over here, although we know a guy in north London has been growing some decent ones, however he never updates on them. Foxpalms also has a decent sized Queen as well, although they aren't really worth growing here. Mine came through last winter absolutely fine with no protection. This winter just gone has been a different story and they have defoliated, but won't be dead. It didn't get cold enough. They will grow back, but I will never get them looking even half good in my location. If I built a shelter around them during bad events, I could get them through bad winters fine without any C9 lights or anything. I can't really be bothered to go to the effort of building shelters however. Of course if that is your only option to get any palms through winter, then so be it obviously.

Ben, can you give us the information that you base this claim on? -8C in december and months of no growth daytemps, a nearby washingtonia that lost all its spears and a red cordyline that collapsed. Why are the queens still alive? 

• Upvote 1

March update, looks have dead, but the half a bottle of peroxide did it really good. I still have green petioles and a solid trunk. Also my Pygmy sorta resurrected.

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

Ben, can you give us the information that you base this claim on? -8C in december and months of no growth daytemps, a nearby washingtonia that lost all its spears and a red cordyline that collapsed. Why are the queens still alive? 

First of all my red Cordyline hasn't "collapsed". The foliage has been totally burnt on it however. Secondly, I wrapped my queens in a few layers of flimsy frost cloth. Most of that was concentrated around the trunks and less so the foliage. I left the fronds to ride it out pretty much, hence the defoliation. There are other folks in southeast England who have had Queens defoliate pretty much and they still come back and push new growth again. They are much more bud hardy than the actual fronds. The problem is getting them to look good is all but impossible where I am if they are only making 2-3 fronds per year and getting defoliated here every 2-3 years on average. It's a different story in central London though.

• Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Those are all cold hardy palms that even grow in B.C. at least some of them . I'm not saying you can't grow palms but I remember talking about planting tropical palms in the UK that's delusional to me. The Queen is the least cold hardy palm but still belongs to the same category and as we know it isn't just about cold hardiness it's about the amount of UV-A rays that make a palm thrive.  UK doesn't have officially a subtropical climate deal with it.  Again it isn't just how cold it gets it's about sunshine hours,  how many days above a certain temperature a year and latitude and the UK is nowhere near that.  Not an opinion it's a fact.  Show me a Robusta that's 70 to 100ft tall like the ones you see in LA or one that's 100 years old that's what I call succefully grown.  There's always another record low so don't get too comfortable in your chair and claim we're safe here.  A few pictures here and there doesn't tell the whole story . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

First of all my red Cordyline hasn't "collapsed". The foliage has been totally burnt on it however. Secondly, I wrapped my queens in a few layers of flimsy frost cloth. Most of that was concentrated around the trunks and less so the foliage. I left the fronds to ride it out pretty much, hence the defoliation. There are other folks in southeast England who have had Queens defoliate pretty much and they still come back and push new growth again. They are much more bud hardy than the actual fronds. The problem is getting them to look good is all but impossible where I am if they are only making 2-3 fronds per year and getting defoliated here every 2-3 years on average. It's a different story in central London though.

The ones in south east UK defoliated but didnt experience -8C. The fleece couldnt stop these temps penetrating your queens after so many frost nights. 

Queens dont make 2-3 fronds a year. The ones planted in the open garden in North London made 1 frond per year. One of them is a santa catarina.

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

30 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

The ones in south east UK defoliated but didnt experience -8C. The fleece couldnt stop these temps penetrating your queens after so many frost nights. 

Queens dont make 2-3 fronds a year. The ones planted in the open garden in North London made 1 frond per year. One of them is a santa catarina.

I think UK palms was referring to his not necessarily other queen palms. Queen palms can recover from -8c but in areas where the week after it's in the 60s and 70s, could be possible but not absolute. 

2 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

I think UK palms was referring to his not necessarily other queen palms. Queen palms can recover from -8c but in areas where the week after it's in the 60s and 70s, could be possible but not absolute. 

It said other folks in SE UK. The fact that queens can recover from -8C when the week after it warms up to growing temps  again is irrelevant for the UK. 

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

Listen, you are talking utter nonsense as there are 130 year old Phoenix Canariensis in the Scilly Isles at 50N. No polar vortex is going to take them out. The official Met Office station there hasn't even registered a frost in over 5 years now. In fact they haven't even experienced a January frost there in 27 years now! The last time it went down to 0C / 32F in the Isles of Scilly was back in February 2018 during the infamous 'Beast from the East' and even then it was only like -1C / 30F. It is basically subtropical there, taking into account the severe lack of frost.

This has been a terrible winter here with two bad freezes in December and then again in January, which also saw record lows for the dates in question where I am. East London had its coldest temperatures in 31 years in December and west London experienced its coldest temperatures in 36 years during the January event. Some palms have been burnt, but nothing major. If you go into central London or to the south coast of England, the Phoenix Canariensis and Washingtonia are completely untouched and totally pristine still. I posted a photo of a Robusta/hybrid a few weeks back that is totally unscathed and that is quite a few miles inland from the coast. This is after the worst winter in 5 years at least, or 13 years potentially, since 2010.

324839574_682444590031244_6286304772360301878_n.thumb.jpg.882ea9daee6016251b9084873c003d0c.jpg

324906895_483676133925545_8398334938797933825_n.thumb.jpg.df8186084e47e4ad9d4ca1677b63643b.jpg

Many of the London and south coast ones survived the really bad 2010 freeze when they were still tiny back then. In fact December 2010 was the coldest December on record, yet the tiny palms pulled through in these protected areas. So how the hell are the big 30+ footers in say London going to get knocked out now? 1987 also had a really bad freeze, when the big Fulham CIDP would have been tiny back then, yet it survived still. That freeze was probably the turning point where people realised more exotic palms could survive here and people started planting them in the more protected areas. Prior to that nobody was planting Phoenix Canariensis or Washingtonia.

Regarding Queens, I acknowledge that is more wishful thinking than anything over here, although we know a guy in north London has been growing some decent ones, however he never updates on them. Foxpalms also has a decent sized Queen as well, although they aren't really worth growing here. Mine came through last winter absolutely fine with no protection. This winter just gone has been a different story and they have defoliated, but won't be dead. It didn't get cold enough. They will grow back, but I will never get them looking even half good in my location. If I built a shelter around them during bad events, I could get them through bad winters fine without any C9 lights or anything. I can't really be bothered to go to the effort of building shelters however. Of course if that is your only option to get any palms through winter, then so be it obviously.

I get where you're going with this and I also understand that people in our region get misunderstood sometimes but I would let leave it at that for now, as his post was a try to calm down the negative vibe here. And that's why I'm saying this. I feel like there's some sort of war going on by now. I mean we are here to discuss but in every other thread there is some sort of climate debate (heated) going on and I feel like it's getting worse. For now the only thing everbody can do is just grow things and then post about them and maybe some data proof here and there. I think at least we can agree that we are all zone pushers and most of us are trying to push the boundries and facts are facts and experiences are experiences, so there's no need (at least long term) to convince everybody about everything. I mean we're getting warmer and sunnier and many places up here get palmier. Zone push is also redefined everytime something gets common. Palms in general have been a zone push at some point or at least thought to be one. And I also think that many people not living here are not aware of how little in comparison to North America has been tried here long term on a large scale. Let's just all chill for a bit with competing (sort of).

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

48 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

You mentioned that word delusional.  Isn't it delusional to claim that you can successfully grow Queens or other tropical palms in the UK ? Any 30 to 100 year survivors or are you going to blame it on accessibility that I hear a lot?  Internet shopping exists since late 90s in Europe.  

Well considering that I can get Queens through 2 out of 3 winters here without defoliating, with zero protection, it is hardly delusional. It also isn't practical either or long term, I acknowledge that. However they won't defoliate in the warmer parts of London where it hasn't gone below about -5C / 23F since 1987. The coldest it got there during this 'bad' winter was about -2.5C / 27F. Regarding summer heat, London has reached 38C / 100F in 3 of the past 4 summers as well, so it isn't like there isn't any heat for them to grow either. It reached 40C / 105F last summer as well.

Also there are crownshaft palms growing over here. We probably have the largest Rhopalostylis stand outside of New Zealand on Tresco in the Isles of Scilly and there are Juania Australis growing in inland locations even on the actual UK mainland. Rhopalostylis at Ventnor as well. Kentia's that live outside in pots with zero protection all winter long in London, for years on end, which survived the 2018 freeze and this winter. Heck one of my best performing palms this winter has been Chamadorea Radicalis, which had no protection here and is pretty much unscathed. I am zone 8b/9a here compared to 10a in central London. So Queens will obviously do better there. Nobody is planting them in Westminster, Chelsea, Fulham, Lambeth, Waterloo, Soho etc. Unless there are some hidden away in small back yards.

• Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

As much as i understand your attempt to try to calm things down it’s again the notion that a warmer or sunnier climate is somehow beneficial for growing semi hardy palms in the UK or Germany.

The amount of semi hardy palms in coastal UK and London have only been possible as a result of absence of severe frost over the last decades. It has nothing to do with higher summer temps, more sunshine or a couple of 40C days, thats all climatic talk trying to create a causality that isnt there.

The warming climate in the UK could not prevent large scale damage to inland areas, even to cordylines the most planted exotic looking plant in the UK. For plants people these climatic data stories mean very little if frost periods like this keep occuring. Most EPS members have decades of experience in growing palms and they still have loads of severe damage despite the warmer summers. The amount of experimenting in the UK has been going on a large scale ever since CIDP’s  and later washies were sold in supermarkets for next to nothing since the early 2000’s. They are all gone except in coastal areas and London. 

UK palms, your queens were planted in 2021, so they lasted only 2 winters. 

Edited by Axel Amsterdam
  • Like 1

@MarcusHYou can think what you want to but are there any stories of Washingtonia being planted in the UK 60,70 years ago? Also I wouldn't say the queen palm is the least hardy palm, it's a subtropical palm not a true tropical like a coconut. There are a lot of subtropical palms that can handle cool winters such as archontophoenix, Rhopalostylis, Ceroxylons, chamedorea, some of the Chrysalidocarpus, howea, arenga ect. Nowhere in the UK has a subtropical climate the south is oceanic however there is a clear trend towards Mediterranean in parts of the south. I think the argument could also be made places such as  Ventnor already have a warm summer Mediterranean climate looking at even their long term rainfall averages. Time will tell, we will see who was right in 20-30 years time if the UK Washingtonia robustas are massive or if they die from a bad polar vortex like they did in a large percentage of Texas.  A few places in the UK have over 2000 hours of sunshine hours annually but the UV levels are obviously much lower at this latitude.

Can we all just chill for a bit? I know we're discussing and all but it just became climate wars in every other thread. We got to a point where it's not productive anymore. I mean we can discuss climate and growing possibilities but not to that amount and not constantly. There's also no point in convincing each other if the same talks get back and forth for weeks and months. I know it's annoying when the opponents are not believing or understanding you but who cares? Time will tell and things work or don't work even without the talk. Not taking sides here but there is also no point in trying to convince somebody that something can't be done or will fail. Suggesting and helping is enough. Let everbody have their own experiences and failures and of course successes. I also encountered sceptisism in this forum which I didn't understand. I didn't even think that there was a point in lying or pretending about palms you grow or climates you're in. I don't know if some do it, but even if so, who cares? I'm not talking about not asking questions but trying to disprove some personal experiences or claims, especially when they're not posted like "That's how it is. Fact applying for everybody and everything!". Everybody coming into a thread can read the different opinons people have posted and based on that they can form their own. I didn't even think that this could be a thing when I came to this forum. To me it's just a place to share experiences and friendly discussions and suggestions. I never would have thought I came to a court room (exaggerating here 😂). We can grow, learn and share and change our opinons but we don't have to change those of others forcefully. And this is coming from a person that is really mad when people ignore facts OR value of experience in general in real life. But mostly when it has severe effects on other people or the planet. If somebody's wasting money or time or whatever it doesn't hurt anyone else too much. So let's just take it down a notch. :greenthumb:

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Can you guys go do a separate post about this and get out of the Chicago post.  That would help

• Like 4

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

My smallish queens made 2 fronds in 2021 during a cool wet year, so that is BS. They dried out badly in the clay bed during the drought last year and summer, so didn't do so well. If I actually irrigated them, they would have done better last year. Where are you getting the information about 1 frond a year on Barry's ones? 

18 minutes ago, Axel Amsterdam said:

As much as i understand your attempt to try to calm things down it’s again the notion that a warmer or sunnier climate is somehow beneficial for growing semi hardy palms in the UK or Germany.

The amount of semi hardy palms in coastal UK and London have only been possible as a result of absence of severe frost over the last decades. It has nothing to do with higher summer temps, more sunshine or a couple of 40C days, thats all climatic talk trying to create a causality that isnt there.

The warming climate in the UK could not prevent large scale damage to inland areas, even to cordylines the most planted exotic looking plant in the UK. For plants people these climatic data stories mean very little if frost periods like this keep occuring. Most EPS members have decades of experience in growing palms and they still have loads of severe damage despite the warmer summers. The amount of experimenting in the UK has been going on a large scale ever since CIDP’s  and later washies were sold in supermarkets for next to nothing since the early 2000’s. They are all gone except in coastal areas and London. 

Axel, there are CIDP's in central northern England at 53N in Leeds that have barely taken any damage this winter. I have 20 foot CIDP in my town, which is 35 miles inland from the coast. I just live on the outskirts of the small UHI. Plus I only planted my small CIDP & Washies 1-2 years ago, so they hadn't had enough time to reach a bigger size and get more hardy or established before the 1 in 5-10 year freeze/winter arrived. Stop exaggerating that everything has been wiped out away from London and the coast. My bigger green Cordyline has survived here as well and looks pretty decent still, although many have taken a bad hit in inland regions.

44 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

I get where you're going with this and I also understand that people in our region get misunderstood sometimes but I would let leave it at that for now, as his post was a try to calm down the negative vibe here. And that's why I'm saying this. I feel like there's some sort of war going on by now. I mean we are here to discuss but in every other thread there is some sort of climate debate (heated) going on and I feel like it's getting worse. For now the only thing everbody can do is just grow things and then post about them and maybe some data proof here and there. I think at least we can agree that we are all zone pushers and most of us are trying to push the boundries and facts are facts and experiences are experiences, so there's no need (at least long term) to convince everybody about everything. I mean we're getting warmer and sunnier and many places up here get palmier. Zone push is also redefined everytime something gets common. Palms in general have been a zone push at some point or at least thought to be one. And I also think that many people not living here are not aware of how little in comparison to North America has been tried here long term on a large scale. Let's just all chill for a bit with competing (sort of).

Tell that to Marcus H who suddenly decided to quote me tonight and say that all the UK palms will get wiped out in a freeze essentially. I thought this thread had calmed down and was back on track and rational again until he opened a new can of worms. I hadn't even been active in this thread for a few days now, so it's not particularly relevant for him to come out with that suddenly tonight. You're right we should just chill out, myself included, but I have let a few of his comments slip in recent days.

Edited by UK_Palms

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

Can you guys go do a separate post about this and get out of the Chicago post.  That would help

That would be a good idea but the same people always start it in random threads so people tend to respond. Personally I'm not going to try and argue against their opinions, I just feel inclined to point out the facts

18 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's basically what I'm saying. The polar vortex 2022 thread became. "Why we can grow Queen palms and you can't!". Off topic climate wars.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

I apologise for the non related comments in this Chicago thread and i will leave it. 

Ben, you have used the term BS so i will only reply to that, i believe my facts are still correct. Your queens were only planted in 2021, perhaps they grew somewhat in their first year but didnt do well 2 out of 3 winters like you said, because there were only 2 winters and they didnt survive the second winter.

12 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

My smallish queens made 2 fronds in 2021 during a cool wet year, so that is BS. They dried out badly in the clay bed during the drought last year and summer, so didn't do so well. If I actually irrigated them, they would have done better last year. Where are you getting the information about 1 frond a year on Barry's ones? 

Axel, there are CIDP's in central northern England at 53N in Leeds that have barely taken any damage this winter. I have 20 foot CIDP in my town, which is 35 miles inland from the coast. I just live on the outskirts of the small UHI. Plus I only planted my small CIDP & Washies 1-2 years ago, so they hadn't had enough time to reach a bigger size and get more hardy or established before the 1 in 5-10 year freeze/winter arrived. Stop exaggerating that everything has been wiped out away from London and the coast. My bigger green Cordyline has survived here as well and looks pretty decent still, although many have taken a bad hit in inland regions.

Tell that to Marcus H who suddenly decided to quote me tonight and say that all the UK palms will get wiped out in a freeze essentially. I thought this thread had calmed down and was back on track and rational again until he opened a new can of worms. I hadn't even been active in this thread for a few days now, so it's not particularly relevant for him to come out with that suddenly tonight. You're right we should just chill out, myself included, but I have let a few of his comments slip in recent days.

I understand that and it's easier to say "Chill!" if you're not the target but I also have been treated very rudely in the Current yard temperature thread yesterday. For NO REASON at all. You can look it up. But I didn't let it escalate, because there's no point. Not taking any sides here but if that's Marcus H's opinion and claim then it just is. Apperently he's not changeing his mind so there is no need for further discussion. Even if he started it again. At a certain point it's just wasting time. You know what you know for yourself and of course there are enough other people who share your opinion. As there are for him. I know it sounds a bit hippie but that way this forum is not going to be fun anymore.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

UK palms the only one in this post that "kind of made fun " of Chicago growing palms in his climate was just you .  You always provoke here as I have noticed you get such in a defensive mode when somebody , not just me apparently,  don't believe all your theories . I'll let you live in your bubble. Not the first or second time you start something.  It was calm until you came in. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hortulanus said:

That's basically what I'm saying. The polar vortex 2022 thread became. "Why we can grow Queen palms and you can't!". Off topic climate wars.

Agree, although only one person brought up Queens tonight in the same comment that sparked this all off.

Just now, MarcusH said:

UK palms the only one in this post that "kind of made fun " of Chicago growing palms in his climate was just you .  You always provoke here as I have noticed you get such in a defensive mode when somebody , not just me apparently,  don't believe all your theories . I'll let you live in your bubble. Not the first or second time you start something.  It was calm until you came in. 

I didn't make fun of him. I merely stated the reality of what he is up against there and suggested he keep palms potted so that he can bring them indoors over winter. I may have been a bit blunt with some of my comments and I apologise to him. I wasn't the only one who told him how it is though. I only got defensive with you tonight because you literally posted a random comment, quoting me too, saying that all the palms in the UK will get wiped out, which is ludicrous. You knew you would provoke a response from me or Fox Palms, although I should have just bit my tongue, admittedly. I'm not sure what "bubble" you are referring to, but I will continue to document palms in the UK as I have been doing.

I wish @ChicagoPalma all the best with his zone pushing project. I look forward to seeing how it progresses in the future.

• Like 1

Thanks, @UK_Palms,  also UK does have warm temps, some sun, definitely warmer than Chicago winters, but they have horrible food, and that’s just my opinion, not to offend you British people. Also I feel like Texas might have more ice storms in a winter than here in Chicago.

• Like 2

Also, my little date palm is doing pretty good currently, and I’m also growing windmill palm and more dates.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

Let's all chill. I know it's annoying to hear when you feel provoked but we're not getting anywhere with this. I might sound like a teacher but at some point we have to ignore eachothers strong opinions about some things. There is no point in fighting about this and nobody has to live in the other's bubble. Those opinions are not having any negative effects on our lives. But now they have because everybody is getting angry and provoked about basically nothing. And that's a waste of energy and time. Sometimes the grudge also translates into real life anger which is also a thing we don't need. So let's just all post our palms, experiences and opinion, discuss them but not try to convince anybody. Everybody coming into a thread reading it, has the ability to read all differing opinions to then choose or form his own.

• Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

UK palms , come on let's all chill I apologize for being so rough at you.  Sometimes us men get a little bit heated up . 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Thanks, @UK_Palms,  also UK does have warm temps, some sun, definitely warmer than Chicago winters, but they have horrible food, and that’s just my opinion, not to offend you British people. Also I feel like Texas might have more ice storms in a winter than here in Chicago.

British cuisine definitely is not the best however most people here eat foods from other countries. British cuisine isn't really popular here. The only British cuisine that seems to be popular is the Sunday roast. British food is usually just bland, dry, unseasoned meat with boiled vegetables!

• Like 3

So the British people decide not to eat their own food, huh. Everything was considered British (British empire) 300 years ago up until now where you guys won’t eat your own food that you have been making for the last 300 years. I find it very funny, since I remember my history class, were our teacher told us about how everything was practically British back then, or so he thought.

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Foxpalms said:

British cuisine definitely is not the best however most people here eat foods from other countries. British cuisine isn't really popular here. The only British cuisine that seems to be popular is the Sunday roast. British food is usually just bland, dry, unseasoned meat with boiled vegetables!

I now see why you guys like the Sunday roast, it looks better than middle eastern food.

I’m also planning to do a video showcasing the new palms when we eventually get them and we do the tropical garden. More of a music video, but it just showcases, possibly expect it maybe in may-June.

• Like 3

The California fan palm seeds arrived today two hours ago, I planted six of them in some containers, I also got to transplant my date seed.

17 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

but they have horrible food

image.png.62d6a4b3ad3ac98f72ddaf9829867549.png

Lucas

17 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

I now see why you guys like the Sunday roast, it looks better than middle eastern food.

Im willing to bet you've never had middle eastern food if you think a sunday roast is more flavorful haha!

Lucas

44 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

image.png.62d6a4b3ad3ac98f72ddaf9829867549.png

I think you just found yourself some fish n chips, lol. They have seasoning, so thats not a true british meal. Also i compared it to middle eastern food to the fact that in Chicago some middle eastern food restraunts serve you exactly that and calling it syrian.

5 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

I think you just found yourself some fish n chips, lol. They have seasoning, so thats not a true british meal. Also i compared it to middle eastern food to the fact that in Chicago some middle eastern food restraunts serve you exactly that and calling it syrian.

Yeah from my trips to the UK and Ireland, I found Ireland takes the cake with their food, and I vastly prefer scottish fish and chips to London's although the best fish and chips I ever had was at a resturant at Tara hill in Ireland.  Although im still not quite sure what you mean witht the middle eastern part.

• Like 1

Lucas

38 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Yeah from my trips to the UK and Ireland, I found Ireland takes the cake with their food, and I vastly prefer scottish fish and chips to London's although the best fish and chips I ever had was at a resturant at Tara hill in Ireland.  Although im still not quite sure what you mean witht the middle eastern part.

The best food in the UK I also had in Scotland.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

It also depends on the price point of the meal for British food. Obviously if you go to Restaurant Gordon Ramsey in Chelsea and eat the British food there it's going to be nice. London has the nicest restaurants in the UK but you have to go to the michelin star ones in Chelsea and Mayfair for the best food.

• Like 1

Actually, I might get a large Trachy and a large Mexican fan palm. I watched a little bit of James palms to see his opinion on Trachys and Washingtonias, and honestly, in my opinion and his, Washingtonias look better and grow faster. So yeah, that's my plan, But I'm not going overboard like last time and I will just try to stick with Trachys for the most part, this is just an exception as I'm going to plant both or one of them in the front yard that is facing south, with it being south, it will receive a lot more sun, and Trachys have a smaller canopy in full sun, which sort of sucks and it will not look nice, so the Mexican fan palm is there just for the nicer canopy's in full sun. So if you guys have a comment or advice on my decision, I'm all ears.

23 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Actually, I might get a large Trachy and a large Mexican fan palm. I watched a little bit of James palms to see his opinion on Trachys and Washingtonias, and honestly, in my opinion and his, Washingtonias look better and grow faster. So yeah, that's my plan, But I'm not going overboard like last time and I will just try to stick with Trachys for the most part, this is just an exception as I'm going to plant both or one of them in the front yard that is facing south, with it being south, it will receive a lot more sun, and Trachys have a smaller canopy in full sun, which sort of sucks and it will not look nice, so the Mexican fan palm is there just for the nicer canopy's in full sun. So if you guys have a comment or advice on my decision, I'm all ears.

My advice is if anything, grow the mexican fan palm in a pot, and try a California fan Pam, much much hardier

• Like 1

Lucas