IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Outdoor year-round potted Sabal Minor?

MrTropical

Hey everyone. I recently got some free 15-gallon decorative pots from a friend of mine, and I'd like to put them to use. I want to put one on both sides of the front door with Sabal Minor planted in them, to give off the palmy vibe I'm trying to go for. The front door is south-facing. I live in Zone 7A in Western North Carolina. Would they survive year-round in a large 15-gallon pot right up against the house? If not, how low of a temperature could they tolerate before it would be an issue? Thanks for any help or advice!

2-21-2023

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

USDA Zone 8B/9A - Humid Subtropical (CFA)

Down here on the N.C coast two 3 gallon potted minors have zero damage after this years unusual low of 17F ( judged against the last few years lows) They are on the north side of a building fully exposed, no protection at all. Historically they will take much lower. Search Jacksonville, Newbern, and Newport temp lows to see what they will endure as those cities are west, north, and east of me and provide no heat island effect for me but should give you an idea of what temps I have seen. I have had some in pots continuously for at least the last 25years and have never had any damage to them. Keep in mind very very few days here are below freezing and I never worry about them so do not know how many times soil may have partially frozen in the pots but I do not remember any damage at all for those years. In any case a 15 gallon pot would give better root protection than my 3 gallon.

Edited by Jeff zone 8 N.C.
  • Like 1

S. minor will do better planted because of the underground trunk.  I'm not sure what low they can take in a pot.  Palm roots are far more cold sensitive than the fronds.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The issue with pots is that they let the cold get to the roots. I have some P. canariensis outside in pots all year round. Even this winter with some cold snaps, right against the wall that is. But I have different conditions and P. canariensis are not that root sensitive. As Sabals are very root sensitive I would be careful even with a Sabal minor. In the ground they are very protected against severe cold but in a pot a prolonged freeze can freeze the whole plant top to bottom. If you have the ability to move the pots somewhere frost free when it gets too cold I would plant some more frost tender palms or the before mentioned cycades. If this too much of an effort or not possible then you might just try it with a Sabal.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

As Allen and Hortulanus said root damage in pots by freezing is the issue to look out for.  I mentioned but did not clarify that.  As Allen said planting them in ground would remedy all freezing issues, but your question was about pots so if that is what you want and you are worried about freezing roots then you could insulate the walls of the pot on the inside. Keep in mind that wet insulation is zero insulation. You would need to use strips of foam insulation board and paint the board with water proof paint. This would probably work for several years but after a while that would probably fail. So planting in pots is not a permanent lifelong thing, but I assume you know that as anyone who plants in pots knows.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

As Allen and Hortulanus said root damage in pots by freezing is the issue to look out for.  I mentioned but did not clarify that.  As Allen said planting them in ground would remedy all freezing issues, but your question was about pots so if that is what you want and you are worried about freezing roots then you could insulate the walls of the pot on the inside. Keep in mind that wet insulation is zero insulation. You would need to use strips of foam insulation board and paint the board with water proof paint. This would probably work for several years but after a while that would probably fail. So planting in pots is not a permanent lifelong thing, but I assume you know that as anyone who plants in pots knows.

Thank you.

2-22-2023

Emerald Isle, North Carolina

USDA Zone 8B/9A - Humid Subtropical (CFA)