IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washies and bushes

ZPalms

I'm in the middle of planting one of my washies, but I have these azalea bushes that I'm not sure I should keep, remove, or move. Would it be a problem if I kept them and then decided to remove them later? And would damaging washie roots that expanded into the bushes areas be a problem?

I really want to move them or at least get a different type of shrub, but I don't know any other good flowering or nice shrubby evergreen bushes that would work well and not cause problems in the future because these bushes have been a pain to dig out. I did remove one from the middle for the washie I'm planting.

would love for some suggestions on what I could replace these with

IMG-8015.jpg

Edited by ZPalms

3 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I'm in the middle of planting one of my washies, but I have these azalea bushes that I'm not sure I should keep, remove, or move. Would it be a problem if I kept them and then decided to remove them later? And would damaging washie roots that expanded into the bushes areas be a problem?

I really want to move them or at least get a different type of shrub, but I don't know any other good flowering or nice shrubby evergreen bushes that would work well and not cause problems in the future because these bushes have been a pain to dig out. I did remove one from the middle for the washie I'm planting.

IMG-8015.jpg

It shouldn't be a problem to leave the bushes and try to move (or remove) later.  Washingtonia don't suffer much if at all from root damage - they're pretty tough.  As far as moving azaleas I have not tried it so can't say much about that.  Will the bushes block sunlight from the palm?  I'm assuming not if you're planting in between them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

27 minutes ago, Fusca said:

It shouldn't be a problem to leave the bushes and try to move (or remove) later.  Washingtonia don't suffer much if at all from root damage - they're pretty tough.  As far as moving azaleas I have not tried it so can't say much about that.  Will the bushes block sunlight from the palm?  I'm assuming not if you're planting in between them.

The washie will have all day sun since it comes from the side where Im standing and then it's overhead all day until it reaches the tree line, this is the south side of the house. As long as If I decide to dig them out when the roots start to spread and it won't harm the palm then that will be good. I do still think I want to replace them but I don't know what would work well 🤔

I did have an idea in mind for this area and I think it would look cool, the palm in the fence is sabal palmetto and I have trachycarpus in the round bricks next to the structure thats potecting my orinoco and I have a trachy in a pot that I would plant in front of the musa basjoo and removing that dumb gas tank that's not hooked up and providing no purpose.

Hopefully eventually the pool will get a deck because the stairs and stuff look so badddddd, so many things about this house that needs fixing

IMG_8019.thumb.jpg.2e6b9f7aaf007317860acb0c6faae514.jpg

IMG_8019(3).thumb.png.dc4781074378817cb2efff3a29216c28.png

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Concept to reality slowly on its way 🤠

70198960503--62136E90-C345-45D7-8406-818470B2D999.thumb.jpg.7b41af7d978f4d768e89942e91c339de.jpg

70198964640--61BCF76C-D35E-431C-AEB7-C9A632A2825B.thumb.jpg.19e9690a1877b1f1eb19008bae75db62.jpg

IMG-8845.thumb.jpg.39f23e353bae2a0232774176750b1879.jpg

IMG-8844.thumb.jpg.51645aab72eabe6f96d814d181a74efa.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

I love your house!

Thanks! I like the house but it has so many things wrong with it, It has around the clock problems and It seems like mostly everything needs to be replaced or fixed in some way 😂😭

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Thanks! I like the house but it has so many things wrong with it, It has around the clock problems and It seems like mostly everything needs to be replaced or fixed in some way 😂😭

Sounds like my house!

• Like 1

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Personally i would leave the azaleas. With good care, they can be very beautiful.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of keeping the azaleas in that spot, I have moved them to another location in the yard and will get the other ones moved eventually and decided to put chamaerops humilis in its place because I think it will make a nice uniform shape for a while and I’ll let the suckers grow and it will help block some of the wind on the banana

IMG_0113.thumb.jpeg.bc5b87955302ede345f144512c86d6c8.jpeg

IMG_0112.thumb.jpeg.0b08585436b6158ad3914eb1733914c2.jpeg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2