IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chicago Yuccas

ChicagoPalma

I wouldn’t call them palms, but they survive negative temperatures green and not defoliated. I got some seeds from them, not many but I can sell them if anybody is interested.

edit

the yuccas are around my neighborhood naturally unprotected.

50D1E244-1045-40BE-956B-33E5731EBC81.jpeg

EAEC5602-4531-4304-A658-5A7410CE2B0E.jpeg

445325E0-55C9-4B58-AFE2-9CD19C2B597B.jpeg

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 2

Usually the non-trunking ones are pretty cold hardy. You could try recurvifolia and see how it does. Hespareloe parviflora takes alot of cold, too.

• Like 1

That’s pretty impressive for Chicago, although, there is a separate section of the forum for this stuff, the “tropical looking plants other than palms”

• Like 1

Lucas

Thanks for the info! 

2 hours ago, Little Tex said:

That’s pretty impressive for Chicago, although, there is a separate section of the forum for this stuff, the “tropical looking plants other than palms”

Yucca filamentosa are hardy into upper zone 4.  Very tough plants and a commonly used one in the NE.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2023 at 8:20 PM, ChicagoPalma said:

The ones you have look a bit worse.

They have taken some wind damage from the arctic front earlier this month. We hit -14f with windchills into the -40s. The windmill palm that I cover each winter even took some frond damage 

B30BA210-6E5E-4069-B8D2-000B7D44327B.jpeg

037205C2-F413-4E30-B4F9-9F039444710E.jpeg

Not bad, mine got cosmetically fried by the c9 lights, but its not yellow and the damage is not bad. March is near and we got a whole day of rain so we should be in the clear for next week. The second week of march I might uncover it.