IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Identify these Palm’s please

WinTexas

Can anyone help me identify these palm’s? I just moved in about 6 months ago and the cold spell got them. I am try to find out what they are so I can trim them correctly. 

sorry for the bad pictures before the cold got them I only had a picture at night. Thanks in advance for any help. 

F635EC78-0C70-4ED2-9B79-BF252600D216.png

image.jpg

The two in the foreground are Phoenix Canariensis aka canary Island date palm. The ones in the background might also be the same but it's really hard to make them out. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you, I think the ones in the background are different they look different and smaller base and taller. Here is a closer view. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The one in the back is probably also a canary island date palm, just with a little bit of hybridization somewhere in it, it looks mostly CIDP, I assume your in Houston, and they will probably be alright, they are just very disease prone, I would trim off everything that is no longer green, but sterilize all pruning equipment with alcohol. 

• Like 1

Lucas

5 hours ago, WinTexas said:

Little Tex What about the ones that are green close to the base but brown out to the end? Yes I am in Houston. 

Do not cut anything that is green, that is the living tissue, It will photosynthesize using any living tissue, which it needs nutrients from that to make a solid recovery from the freeze. It probably will, but I would not cut it because it is still useful to the plant, although, I understand if you want to cut the brown part of it for cosmetic reasons, which is ok, just nothing green. 

• Like 2

Lucas

I agree with Little Tex, cut brown stuff but leave the rachis of anything that's still green.  See my sketch below with the red marks. 

The only exception I'd make on pruning green stuff are the seed pods.  Right now I can see at least 4 big seed pods, with maybe another couple on the back side.  The palm is putting a LOT of energy into growing seed, which you don't want right now.  Sometimes if a palm has a crown/bud rot the palm *can't* grow new leaves, so it puts all the energy into growing seeds.  With so much dead debris up there, it's hard to tell if there's new fronds growing out of the center. 

So I'd clean up all the dead stuff, thoroughly clean your loppers with rubbing alcohol, then slice off the seed pods.  Afterwards check the center for new spear growth, and pour maybe a cup of regular hydrogen peroxide down the crown.  It's a great contact fungicide and will show you if there's a crown infection.  If it bubbles and foams up you've definitely got an infection.  Additional treatment with Daconil, Mancozeb, or a copper-based fungicide will help cure any crown infections.

image.png.5897c1c1ad5876daddc2e9b314edf08a.png

• Like 2

Holy moly, that is quite a sight. It does look like they will survive and be back to looking like the ‘before ‘ photos in a few years. They really took a hit.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

8 minutes ago, realarch said:

Holy moly, that is quite a sight. It does look like they will survive and be back to looking like the ‘before ‘ photos in a few years. They really took a hit.

Tim

Not a few years, much quicker, The CIDP in Houston that looked like that after 2021 looked good again by the end of the season

• Like 1

Lucas

The palm just defoliated, the buds are 100% fine (CIDP is bulletproof to any cold in Houston). You can just cut the brown stuff and palms will recover without any intervention. Should look nearly good as new by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)