IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus hoehnei & weddelliana

realarch

Just a few pictures of each, they were looking happy with the recent rainfall. The first two photos are of S. hoehnei which has a more upright leaf habit, and the S. weddelliana showing a weeping look. They both get a fair bit of sun.

Tim

B4F8B4B0-9F33-4BD9-BC27-FE210F03F167.jpeg

C9EC1D26-A458-4464-88C3-3119700ED2FE.jpeg

1FDDE603-E982-421C-A922-46521A95D4CB.jpeg

8B783245-9483-47C1-9CD0-0BB1F7EFEC26.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jeff, they were in pots for three years or so and I finally planted them out. In ground for two years and they have grown considerably and look much happier. Sweet little palms.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My Syagrus (Lytocaryum) hoenei was a gift from Bill Austin, and I put it in an area that gets filtered light in the morning and full sun for most of the afternoon. It has never shown any problem with these conditions. It now has several flower spikes, as shown in the pic below (hat for scale and taken during a brief hiatus of the rain when the sun was trying to pierce the cloud cover. The rain started again before I could get back to the house, but i had what I had wanted.) If one looks carefully slightly left of center the flowers are emerging from one of the spikes.

8604813_Lytocaryumhoenei_2_MLM_021923.thumb.JPG.f79f80a994ae00f2bd62d6657ce0cddb.JPG

• Like 5

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

On 2/18/2023 at 3:51 AM, realarch said:

Just a few pictures of each, they were looking happy with the recent rainfall. The first two photos are of S. hoehnei which has a more upright leaf habit, and the S. weddelliana showing a weeping look. They both get a fair bit of sun.

Tim

Has Lytocaryum hoehnei already produced seeds?

Éric

49 minutes ago, Eric33 said:

did you know where to find lytocaryum hoehnei seeds ?

Éric

This species is available from Floribundapalms.com.   US $15  for a substantial plant, about 25-30 cm tall. 

Perhaps you could ask Jeff to send them bare root in order to save shipping costs to France.  :)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

10 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

This species is available from Floribundapalms.com.   US $15  for a substantial plant, about 25-30 cm tall. 

Perhaps you could ask Jeff to send them bare root in order to save shipping costs to France.  :)

they do not ship internationally 😔

11 hours ago, Eric33 said:

Hey Eric, it has not seeded yet. Try RPS seeds out of Germany, you might have better luck.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Hey Eric, it has not seeded yet. Try RPS seeds out of Germany, you might have better luck.

Tim

Not available, I continue my research... 😉