IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are the Azores right for coconuts?

Shoowow

Hello all. The question remains unanswered, but we're getting closer.

These two have been with me since last May, always outdoors, protected only from a couple of major wind and rain storms in December (brought indoors). They like the white washed south facing wall.

While the little guy on the right is struggling and possibly on its way out, the one on the left is doing well. The winter has actually been cooler than normal, but only slightly, with the Jan monthly average at 59. Feb looks about the same.

They are Dutch greenhouse specimens, so I had a tough task keeping them alive from the beginning. If either one makes it they are going on the ground in May.

I've attached a couple of other photos from the garden just because. Getting a few more tropical specimens soon.

I'll keep you updated on whether they make it or not and gladly welcome comments and observations.

image.thumb.jpeg.c28b8946008f69dec3b1367909c70107.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f7e96a073cbc314b13203503f4e496ed.jpegIMG_20230216_143500.thumb.jpg.3590d76d667b75a87a794840b2d5cab7.jpgIMG_20230216_143725.thumb.jpg.5308382533d49df625799dfb677fbcc2.jpg

• Like 11

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)

The only real way to find out is to plant it.  The one on the right is on borrowed time. 

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Great to see that you are giving it a shot! At 37° northern latitude, you would clearly hold the world wide record. I would suggest that you locate an area near one of those volcanoes, where are the soil temperature is extremely warm. I think you definitely have a great chance!

• Like 3

What you look for is what is looking

Thank you for sharing this, @Shoowow.  Rooting for it to work.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hello João,

It is hard to say, the problem with the Azores does not seem to be the temperature itself, but the  amount of rainy days in winter and the not so great hours of sunshine during that period coupled with slightly cool temperatures combined, is not great for coconuts.

I believe near walls and pavement, protected from the wind, it might be possible, but If you you are unlucky with a very cool winter and rain, it might kill it even if already mature. Only time will tell, but please use a well draining soil, good luck man:)

Edited by Cluster
  • Like 2

Hello Cluster,

You are absolutely correct. Luckily we have excellent soil drainage since most of the soil in this area is pumice below the top layer.

The healthier palm grew very well during the summer and became strong, almost staring a trunk. I had it in a partly shaded location because hot summer sun started burning their leaves immediately.

The other one grew slower.  Same location, same basic size. Just happened that way.

• Like 2

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)

Hello Bubba, the hot volcanic soil is in limited locations usually at cooler higher altitudes. There are a couple of "hotspots" at lower altitudes, but they are heavily exposed to winds.
A wind protected area with good drainage at lower altitudes seems to be the best choice.

11 hours ago, bubba said:

Great to see that you are giving it a shot! At 37° northern latitude, you would clearly hold the world wide record. I would suggest that you locate an area near one of those volcanoes, where are the soil temperature is extremely warm. I think you definitely have a great chance!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/16/2023 at 5:52 PM, Shoowow said:

IMG_20230216_143500.thumb.jpg.3590d76d667b75a87a794840b2d5cab7.jpgIMG_20230216_143725.thumb.jpg.5308382533d49df625799dfb677fbcc2.jpg

wow are these coconuts growing in Azores?

I don't believe either of those are coconuts.  The first one looks like an Archontophoenix of some sort.  The second one looks like a Becarriophoenix alfredi.  But, both are good looking palms.

Just my opinion (and I have been known to be wrong in the past).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

I don't believe either of those are coconuts.  The first one looks like an Archontophoenix of some sort.  The second one looks like a Becarriophoenix alfredi.  But, both are good looking palms.

Just my opinion (and I have been known to be wrong in the past).

Yes, those are Archontophoenix (have both cunninghamiana and Alexandrae) an B alfredi. Cocnuts só far have fared poorly, but they are all dutch greenhouse. Here's some updated garden photos. Recent garden additions include spindle palm, triangle Palm and hurricane palm.

IMG_20240305_164710.jpg

IMG_20231231_121622.jpg

IMG_20231121_072726~3.jpg

Edited by Shoowow
  • Like 4