IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Super yellow - what ID?

John Eve

Can anyone help with the ID for this amazingly yellow palm?

There is a small grove of about 10, all super yellow, in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where I photographed these.  And got seeds which are now germinating.

There is a strong resemblance, in size and shape but not colour, to the Manila palm, Adonidia merrillii.   Endosperm of seeds also has intrusions, similar to those of A. merrillii, if shallower.

So could this be a hybrid of form of Merrillii?  Or something more exotic?

Advice appreciated.

John E

TH_C Mai_palms_super yellow_100242_resize.jpg

TH_C Mai_palms_super yellow_100259_resize.jpg

TH_C Mai_palm seed ID_Super yellow_0291_resize.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It is the golden form of Adonidia merrillii. Maybe not exotic but uncommon compared to their weedy green sibling

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, John Eve said:

Can anyone help with the ID for this amazingly yellow palm?

There is a small grove of about 10, all super yellow, in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where I photographed these.  And got seeds which are now germinating.

There is a strong resemblance, in size and shape but not colour, to the Manila palm, Adonidia merrillii.   Endosperm of seeds also has intrusions, similar to those of A. merrillii, if shallower.

So could this be a hybrid of form of Merrillii?  Or something more exotic?

Advice appreciated.

John E

Let us know on the progress of the seedlings.  :) I wonder what % turn yellow and what % revert back to the normal green.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Thanks for the help ...

I was not even aware that there was a yellow form of A merrilli.

Now I have just spears.  Sometime in future when I can see the colour coming out I will send an update with photos.

Regards,

JohnE

• Upvote 1

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don’t see the appeal. They just look like super deficient Adonidias to me. Heavy on the chlorosis.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don’t see the appeal. They just look like super deficient Adonidias to me. Heavy on the chlorosis.

I feel the same way about variegated hibiscus and oleander.  Unless one likes the nutrient-deficient look.  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jon Sunder

8 minutes ago, Fusca said:

I feel the same way about variegated hibiscus and oleander.  Unless one likes the nutrient-deficient look.  :)

Yep, same thoughts, Pretty much 99.8% of variegated plants look sick / extremely nut. deficient, etc.. 

But hey, Some people like cats, 70's adult contemporary music, ...and   variegated plants.  You do you i guess,  haha... 💁‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1