IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Frond Burn on Marginal Palms from Christmas freeze

Lou-StAugFL

These palms showed very little burn days after the freeze, but several weeks later the damage showed up.  Obviously they are marginal palms this far north, but under the oak canopy, I expect them to look back to normal by mid summer.

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

59 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Did you buy these that size, or have they been subjected to previous frosts & attained that size.

They have grown from little seedlings all of them including the BAs from my other post.   When they were smaller I was able to wrap them during cold temps, then it has been quite a few years since we had experienced temps that cold.  This year they had gotten so big and I really didn't expect it to get as cold as they said.  Next year the Adonidia merrillii I will at least wrap with frost cloth if gets back in the upper 20s.  The Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is simply too large now, that's the first frost burn it has gotten since it was very very young plant.

• Like 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

An issue besides rare occasions of frost to harden plants a bit you might have in Florida is that cold snaps are literally snaps. It's just pretty warm all the time and plants don't have time to get dormant. I don't know if most of those tropical plants are actually able to. A. cunninghamiana should be though... I'm just generalising here but this is my observation from most Southern plantings in the US North of South Florida.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

@Lou-StAugFL I'm glad to see they are still slated to survive.  The canopy and a few extra degrees from proximity to water probably saved them.  A mile or two west with no canopy, they're probably compost.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

What was your low there? I’m slightly surprised to see this much damage.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

13 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

What was your low there? I’m slightly surprised to see this much damage.

And was it windy? The oak canopy would have been much less helpful if windy. The last real freeze here was in Jan 2018 I believe and it may have been around the same temp you saw 27 to 28 but windy here. I had A. cunninghamiana growing at the time here and it did pretty good with the cold but did see some frond damage. A few years later it died of something fungal in the warm months. I’ve tried them a few times and they just don’t do well for me. A. alexandrae does way better here in my experience although I don’t personally have one growing in my yard. There is one a block over from me that sailed right on through the Jan 2018 freeze totally exposed and flowers but the owners always cut the flowers off. I just don’t think the cunninghamiana sourced from the cooler areas of Australia like it here and the ones sourced from the warmer areas are no more tolerant of frost and freezes than alexandrae or just about any other crownshafted palm for that matter.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

35 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

And was it windy? The oak canopy would have been much less helpful if windy. The last real freeze here was in Jan 2018 I believe and it may have been around the same temp you saw 27 to 28 but windy here. I had A. cunninghamiana growing at the time here and it did pretty good with the cold but did see some frond damage. A few years later it died of something fungal in the warm months. I’ve tried them a few times and they just don’t do well for me. A. alexandrae does way better here in my experience although I don’t personally have one growing in my yard. There is one a block over from me that sailed right on through the Jan 2018 freeze totally exposed and flowers but the owners always cut the flowers off. I just don’t think the cunninghamiana sourced from the cooler areas of Australia like it here and the ones sourced from the warmer areas are no more tolerant of frost and freezes than alexandrae or just about any other crownshafted palm for that matter.  

For what it’s worth, A. Aleandrae var Beatrice is supposed to be more cold tolerant so it might be a good one. Mine died of too much sun exposure when little, along with most of my other archontophoenix… Myolesis has been a winner, but not cold tolerant unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

8 hours ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

... and I really didn't expect it to get as cold as they said.

You must have the same weather man as I do. 🤣

• Like 1