IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentia Palm has grey spots - getting more from day to day

Lahra

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Kentia palm two weeks ago. Palm looked fine (but I did not check every single leaf). Repottet it after I arrived home as the palm was just in a tiny thin plastic container. Did not add fertilizer and watered it two days later. Sprayed it with water twice since then. Just use filtered water (as we have chlorined tap water). I am in Brisbane (Australia) so it should not be to cold or dry for the palm in general.

Now two days ago I notices those spots on the plant (see pictures). And I am worried now as I can not find something online so far which looks similar to this and it gets worse every day! I do not want my plant to die.

Could someone help me with this? What is that? What can I do? Should I remove the "infected" leaves (not the whole branch) or does this stress the plant additionally?

Thanks heaps in advanace!

Cheers

Lahra

Picture4.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Looks like mildew to me; the white spots/blotches in your various photos (including on the dead leaf) look like mildew probably caused by inadequate ventilation. This fungus kills off the part of the leaf it covers in the case of my Chambeyronia, so possibly Kentias also react in this way (I don't have a Kentia, so I'm not sure, but it looks very similar). You can physically remove the mildew with a cloth and some diluted fungicide or I read bicarbonate of soda solution might be effective, but really the solution, if I am correct, would be increasing air movement and night-time temperature.

No need to remove the leaves; just get rid of the pathogen and the conditions in which it can get the upper hand.

Put the palm outside if conditions are favourable. That is one easy way to do it.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

Let them dry out a bit between waterings. This is definitely root rot. Move the pot in the sunnier position or to the place where they can get the most light.

image.png.a0c6ef33c14db8e80f2b870ed78326b8.png

The soil mix will make a big difference in root health.  Generally you want something that drains water really fast and holds some moisture.  Most people here have their favorite mix, but usually 50% or so inorganic is a good starting point.  So a mix of 50% generic potting mix with 50% perlite, pumice, expanded shale, fired clay pebbles (like Turface MVP) or small gravel is a reasonable starting point. 

If the soil stays too wet then the roots will rot.  You want it loose enough that a gallon of water will pour mostly through the pot and leave the soil damp...but not wet!