IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What are your thoughts on this price for blue med fan palms?

fr8train

For European standards I think that's expensive. Why are they in such big pots?

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

Pretty expensive but palms have gone way up over last couple years

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Depends where you are and how often do these are available.  Blue form is rather rare. 

Ok price for blue form.👍🌴

• Like 1

They are much more expensive than they used to be.  In the latter part of the 2000’s the Lowes stores used to be chocked full of ceriferas, needles, and sabals this size that wouldn’t sell.  If you waited till they got on 75% off clearance you could get the manager to discount another 50% just by asking.  I planted dozens of blue pots palms this size in my yard for $3 to $5 each.  Today most of those ceriferas, needles, and minors are 9’ tall.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

For European standards I think that's expensive. Why are they in such big pots?

Yeah I'm really jealous of you guys over in Europe when it comes to hardy palms. I've found amazing deals online, if only it were like that here. I have no idea why they're in pots that size, they honestly looked pretty neglected. The first time I saw them they were sitting under a tree and looked abandoned. I got excited because I thought they'd be on sale for a couple of bucks, but then I saw the price...

The pots are full of weeds too. 

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Pretty expensive but palms have gone way up over last couple years

I took a break from buying palms when I was living in an apartment after college, now I have a house and room and everything is so much more expensive. 

5 hours ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

Depends where you are and how often do these are available.  Blue form is rather rare. 

Ok price for blue form.👍🌴

These are the only ones I've seen for sale anywhere in Texas, other than giant mature plants at Palm Budda. I wanted to buy one, but $120 seems like so much, and they weren't very big or healthy looking. I might hold out of Arizona or California, it seems like palms are much cheaper out there. 

5 hours ago, ryjohn said:

They are much more expensive than they used to be.  In the latter part of the 2000’s the Lowes stores used to be chocked full of ceriferas, needles, and sabals this size that wouldn’t sell.  If you waited till they got on 75% off clearance you could get the manager to discount another 50% just by asking.  I planted dozens of blue pots palms this size in my yard for $3 to $5 each.  Today most of those ceriferas, needles, and minors are 9’ tall.

I remember the blue pots,  I saw them at walmart in Illinois of all places years ago. I think ceriferas were $35, which by comparison seems like such a bargain. 

Can you share pictures of your palms? I'd love to see what they look like now. 

• Like 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

4 hours ago, fr8train said:

Yeah I'm really jealous of you guys over in Europe when it comes to hardy palms. I've found amazing deals online, if only it were like that here. I have no idea why they're in pots that size, they honestly looked pretty neglected. The first time I saw them they were sitting under a tree and looked abandoned. I got excited because I thought they'd be on sale for a couple of bucks, but then I saw the price...

The pots are full of weeds too. 

I took a break from buying palms when I was living in an apartment after college, now I have a house and room and everything is so much more expensive. 

These are the only ones I've seen for sale anywhere in Texas, other than giant mature plants at Palm Budda. I wanted to buy one, but $120 seems like so much, and they weren't very big or healthy looking. I might hold out of Arizona or California, it seems like palms are much cheaper out there. 

I remember the blue pots,  I saw them at walmart in Illinois of all places years ago. I think ceriferas were $35, which by comparison seems like such a bargain. 

Can you share pictures of your palms? I'd love to see what they look like now. 

Holy! I just looked into my invoices and I actually paid only 10€ for this one back in 2016! (Premium quality even!):

ceri.PNG.e79a2d777d0a33b99c0fdec19426072f.PNG

It's still planted out in the garden and has endured even 1 replant. Never showed any signs of bad quality. Palms are more expensive here as well but still...

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

I remember the blue pots,  I saw them at walmart in Illinois of all places years ago. I think ceriferas were $35, which by comparison seems like such a bargain. 

Yep the blue pots...I used to drive 3 hrs each way for these.....75$ for a huge sabal minor, same for a 36 inch windmill. All good things come to and end. The guy went out of business. 

Screenshot_20230205-111913_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fr8train said:

$120

Is that Rainbow Gardens?  I bought one in a 7-gal pot from the Thousand Oaks location in 2021 for $80.  Those same palms might have been potted up into 15-gal size and marked up 50%.  I've only seen smaller ones for sale locally one other time.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

16 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Holy! I just looked into my invoices and I actually paid only 10€ for this one back in 2016! (Premium quality even!):

ceri.PNG.e79a2d777d0a33b99c0fdec19426072f.PNG

It's still planted out in the garden and has endured even 1 replant. Never showed any signs of bad quality. Palms are more expensive here as well but still...

That's an amazing deal! It looks great. 

12 hours ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

I remember the blue pots,  I saw them at walmart in Illinois of all places years ago. I think ceriferas were $35, which by comparison seems like such a bargain. 

Yep the blue pots...I used to drive 3 hrs each way for these.....75$ for a huge sabal minor, same for a 36 inch windmill. All good things come to and end. The guy went out of business. 

Screenshot_20230205-111913_Photos.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that, and it's a real shame. A nursery like that should do amazingly in Texas, as many of those palms can actually grow here, yet businesses will buy up robusta and CIDP which always burn in their place. 

12 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

$120 = Steep price.

Agreed. 

9 hours ago, Fusca said:

Is that Rainbow Gardens?  I bought one in a 7-gal pot from the Thousand Oaks location in 2021 for $80.  Those same palms might have been potted up into 15-gal size and marked up 50%.  I've only seen smaller ones for sale locally one other time.

Yes it is. It's the Thousand Oaks location. Their other location has nothing. I think I've hit up every San Antonio area nursery at this point and this is the best I've seen. :/

6 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Free weeds with every purchase. 🤣

lol

• Upvote 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick