IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Snake Palm

Mangosteen

@MangosteenI read there are two, Caryota Ophiopellis and Zebrina.  I'm not sure what the difference is...they look pretty similar to me!  I bought a couple of Ophiopellis from Floribunda a while back, but unfortunately they just melted the first time it got into the upper 20s.  :(

• Like 2

Strange how most palm sites call for  C.  zebrina to be grown in shady conditions. This one was planted in full sun ever since it was a relatively small five gallon size. The planting site is about 1/2 mile from the ocean on the wet, humid side of the Big Island at about 350'  elevation and gets well over 100 inches of rain a year.

Any other growers?

• Like 1

I’m growing Caryota Ophiopellis in my  Hilo garden. Has been a great grower there at 550 feet elevation. 

I planted a smaller one at our property in Pepe’ekeo Point and it struggled at first but seems to be doing better now that it’s acclimating. Full blazing, sun close to the ocean. 

I will try to get some pictures soon.  Yours looks great. Not sure if it’s Zebrina or Ophiophellis, but looks great either way. 

• Like 3

I like the size and look of those caryotas. Completely controllable unlike the gigantic caryotas that just go timber after flowering. 

I take it C. ophiopellis and zebrina are truly tropical caryotas?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Both grow well here in shade.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

16 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I’m growing Caryota Ophiopellis in my  Hilo garden. Has been a great grower there at 550 feet elevation. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:00 AM, Mangosteen said:

Strange how most palm sites call for  C.  zebrina to be grown in shady conditions. This one was planted in full sun ever since it was a relatively small five gallon size. The planting site is about 1/2 mile from the ocean on the wet, humid side of the Big Island at about 350'  elevation and gets well over 100 inches of rain a year.

Any other growers?

Jason's looks nice having seen it just a couple of weeks ago.  I believe that I saw an older specimen of Caryota zebrina or ophiopellis at Bill Austin's.  Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but we were going so fast that my memory couldn't register everything.  I will share as I remember and and will happily be corrected but as I recall both will eventually get pretty big and due to size you lose the ability to see the striping.  Below is the one that I recall being either C zebrina or C ophiopellis.  While this is not as large as a Caryota obtusa, it isn't small.

By the way, it looks like you two are in the same neighborhood or will be eventually.

20230124-BH3I0306.jpg

• Like 4

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

This one was definitely one of the two above mentioned Caryota species, and also in Bill's garden.

20230124-BH3I0340.jpg

• Like 7

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Jason's looks nice having seen it just a couple of weeks ago.  I believe that I saw an older specimen of Caryota zebrina or ophiopellis at Bill Austin's.  Bill can correct me if I'm wrong, but we were going so fast that my memory couldn't register everything.  I will share as I remember and and will happily be corrected but as I recall both will eventually get pretty big and due to size you lose the ability to see the striping.  Below is the one that I recall being either C zebrina or C ophiopellis.  While this is not as large as a Caryota obtusa, it isn't small.

By the way, it looks like you two are in the same neighborhood or will be eventually.

20230124-BH3I0306.jpg

I'm pretty sure that big one is Zebrina and seeing that is why I chose Ophiophellis for my gardens.  They seem much slower so you can enjoy the unique markings on the petioles for much longer, before they tower up too high.  I have no idea how big Ophiophellis will eventually get, I don't think I've ever seen a huge one here.  Doesn't mean they won't get big, but at least not anytime soon. 

• Like 1

Posting pics of my C. zebrina in hopes it will help differentiate it from the C. ophiopellis, maybe?

Purchased as a 4" pot April of 2011, planted from  3-gal. July of 2014, these first photos are from August 2019:

Czebrina08262019.thumb.jpg.b849fc49186b25b255a5245c06b54b90.jpg

Czebrina082620193.thumb.jpg.c356ff6399ec6ca17fc1643dc0d58dad.jpg

I will figure out how to correct the photo display later, sorry about that. They show correctly on my computer. 🤷‍♀️

Here it is today, a whole lot bigger. Spear probably tops out at 20 ft. 

Czebriina.6_23.IMG_1343.thumb.JPG.82a3ac52c4ae31aca4a3a8559323e3b5.JPG

Czebrina2.6_23.IMG_1344.thumb.JPG.f41aad2c49aad6f25d55c399817ecc8a.JPG

Czebrina2.6_23.IMG_1349.thumb.JPG.561b7a0039e0fe41fb2ff23dd9e52cf8.JPG

I wouldn't say it was really fast, but it's Hawaii speed.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 2 weeks later...

Small Caryota Ophiophellis in full sun on our Pepe’ekeo property (12 miles north of Hilo). Even after a month of almost no rain it’s doing ok so far. 
E84B6AAF-3FA7-4658-9C1F-3AC77EFE5C29.thumb.jpeg.89d63115a16cd6f4c5407dc074e9bf27.jpeg

FCAD811B-4DB9-40F6-BA52-0442FA94CA82.thumb.jpeg.cd74609a8719a0ea55916f17c7db0e81.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

FCAD811B-4DB9-40F6-BA52-0442FA94CA82.thumb.jpeg.cd74609a8719a0ea55916f17c7db0e81.jpeg

I love the overall arrangement you made here... Fantastic example of varying shape, size, texture & color for max effect. It also uses my favorite color combination for plants... Burgundy, Dark Purple, Green & Orange (with hints of pink). Saving to my "awesome landscapes" photo collection. ❤️

What is the palm at the far right with orange & white trunk?

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

On 2/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, iDesign said:

I love the overall arrangement you made here... Fantastic example of varying shape, size, texture & color for max effect. It also uses my favorite color combination for plants... Burgundy, Dark Purple, Green & Orange (with hints of pink). Saving to my "awesome landscapes" photo collection. ❤️

Thank you Stacey! This property is fairly large so I can space plantings out a bit more than I have in the past at my Fallbrook or Hilo gardens. I still probably planted some of this stuff too close but time will tell and edits will be made if and when needed. All of the Ti plants and other companion plants for this planter were taken as clippings from my Hilo garden. I’m spoiled with how quickly and easily things grow here! 

That palm on the right is a mystery and is pretty special to me. A friend collected that as seed in Madagascar. It was growing in front of a hotel in the Antalaha, Madagascar. He described it as what looked like a large, solitary dypsis Lutescens. The size of a large king palm. He referred to it as “Sp. Column” because of its size. I refer to is as “Sp Knell” (his name) or lately as “Sp. Glow in the dark” because the colors keep getting brighter and brighter. 

Hopefully once this one sets seed, I can help get it into more gardens. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 7:55 AM, iDesign said:

Here’s a cropped version to show that mystery palm off a little better. 

09981F93-08AC-45E1-8268-31EB4233675D.thumb.jpeg.6f9e81d564a12ae3befaa747b8b6e761.jpeg

• Like 3