IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Satakentia liukiuensis growth rate.

steve99

Back in around 10 years ago I planted very small Satakentia liukiuensis in my garden - from memory it was in a 4" pot.    Here's two pics which give a good indication of growth rate.   

October 2015

Ld3rSCw.jpg

Today

n2Ei2tR.jpg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, steve99 said:

Back in around 10 years ago I planted very small Satakentia liukiuensis in my garden - from memory it was in a 4" pot.    Here's two pics which give a good indication of growth rate.   

October 2015

Ld3rSCw.jpg

Today

n2Ei2tR.jpg

That one looks like it’s in its prime!  

I’ve had good luck with these too.  Pretty speedy here with a lot of water….

April 2021 @7gallon….

555DCECC-34BB-4114-B91B-E65F687DDDF6.thumb.jpeg.1b7ddf9f0c34c0e49b947e88eab37f5d.jpeg

June 2021 planted out….

F1BE137C-2C89-4AEE-A85D-AAE5E090BF7B.thumb.jpeg.cd19980fbef969eea96a80a4d463edcd.jpeg

February 2023….  
A7F1135E-0973-4DBE-8AF5-7C81AD05578C.thumb.jpeg.64647d9a3a7475addcad43608cafa8b9.jpeg

• Like 7

Looks beautiful Steve, like the terrace and that Chrysalidocarpus (?) to the right is a killer!

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Beautiful palms!

During my early years over here I refused to grow this species because we have thousands of them on this island and I wanted to use 

my space for other non-indigenous palms but after a while I realised that they are not only exceptionally beautiful, they are storm-proof and

almost immune to any attacking creatures and diseases as well. 

So, now I have a couple of them in the ground, too - still too young to be presented - and I am looking forward to see them growing...

Thanks for posting!

Lars

• Like 1

13 hours ago, realarch said:

Looks beautiful Steve, like the terrace and that Chrysalidocarpus (?) to the right is a killer!

Tim

Thanks Tim.  The palm to the right is a Dypsis "dark mealy bug"  which is just about to get its first trunk ring.    

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:21 AM, steve99 said:

Thanks Tim.  The palm to the right is a Dypsis "dark mealy bug"  which is just about to get its first trunk ring.    

Wow, the D. "dark mealy bug" is a stunner.  It'd be perfect to freeze just how it is now.

Brett