IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Nova Growth Speed

ahmedshareev3

Hello, I am wondering how fast this Nova Trachycarpus I bought will grow? I live in 7b zone. What is the growth rate per year? Thanks

Edited by ahmedshareev3

What size is the palm? A picture would be great!  Trachycarpus fortunei 'Nova' is sometimes listed as a variety of fortunei and sometimes it's own species Trachycarpus nova.  It is expected to be one of the fastest growing Trachycarpus but not as cold hardy as pure fortunei.  Trachycarpus fortunei when established in ground a couple years and with full size trunks can grow 6 inches to 3 feet of trunk per year with 1 foot/trunk/year being pretty normal.  So with a 'Nova' you could expect a little better than that.  My well cared for fortunei are growing 2-3 feet/trunk per year

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

15 hours ago, Allen said:

What size is the palm? A picture would be great!  Trachycarpus fortunei 'Nova' is sometimes listed as a variety of fortunei and sometimes it's own species Trachycarpus nova.  It is expected to be one of the fastest growing Trachycarpus but not as cold hardy as pure fortunei.  Trachycarpus fortunei when established in ground a couple years and with full size trunks can grow 6 inches to 3 feet of trunk per year with 1 foot/trunk/year being pretty normal.  So with a 'Nova' you could expect a little better than that.  My well cared for fortunei are growing 2-3 feet/trunk per year

I agree with this.  For larger fortunei I get 3 inches to 3 feet of trunk per year depending on their location.  Most grow 18-24" per year when happy.  Plus they grow slow when small, once they get a  couple of feet of trunk they take off.  So the first two feet can take years.

Edited by Chester B
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are fast growing for me but so is a regular T. fortunei. I still believe that at a young age it seems to be already faster than fortunei. From the smaller Trachys I have T. 'nova' is definitely the fastest growing. People say they are not as cold hardy. I haven't yet seen any difference compared to fortunei but it hasn't been put to a real test yet. Zone 7b has nothing to do with its growth rate. Some signs might indicate that T. 'nova' is a bit more suited for drier and sunnier climates than regular fortunei but none of this is fully confirmed. Imo it's not just something like a T. winsan or similar. I think its at least a natural variety of T. fortunei or even T. princeps.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂