IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal palmetto , Sabal Birmingham , Tracycarpus fortunei ; and the winner is ?

WSimpson

After the 6F  I had on December 24th , I've been watching as to how well my various palms faired , and after about 1 month I believe the winner here is my Sabal palmetto . 

Below is a picture with all three visible . On the right is the Palmetto with just a little tip burn , and to the left of it  is the Birmy with a little more  tip burn , and the Trachy to the the left of that one shows shriveled fronds and severely burned fronds . It really looks like crap . I'll fertilize  it in May and water it well in warm weather which should spurt a lot of new growth over the summer . 

Further left is a totally unfazed Minor and to the left of that is another Palmetto ( Tifton Hardy ) with    more burn than the Palmetto to the far right .

As a side note you can see a small tree between the Birmingham and the Trachy . That is a Manihot grahamii that I think has matured enough after 4 mild winters when the trunk didn't die back to close  to the ground , but growth started in the spring about 7 feet up on the trunk .  That  plant has been a herbaceous perennial until the last 4 mild winters . That would be crazy if the trunk  has matured enough to handle 6F and I end up with a hardy small tree that lives for many years here  !

Will

52652931815_92d6259dbd_b.jpg

I just found this receipt today for that HC Palmetto that handles 6F so well  . They said that they get their Palmettos  from northern Florida sources  . It's a good one I believe . Some people in the vicinity might want to try out their HC Palmettos . 

52652100552_124cbafc83_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Nothing liked that much cold.  The Palmetto did really well for that much cold.  The birmy and the palmetto look pretty similar burnt in the photo to me.  I'm surprised the palmetto is not really burnt down though.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

11 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Screenshot_20230127-213048_Chrome.thumb.jpg.616360650aba5b618b1a84d20db41b8a.jpg

A gamer I see?

Roblox LOL

• Like 2

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Nice report on cold hardiness. Seems like these palms are completely backwards from what I would expect. Looks like they are mulched. Were they mulched heavily? 

23 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Roblox is so fun actually 😂

Especially with voice chat added🤣

• Like 1

Lucas