IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Backyard Microclimates

LouisvillePalmer

Do you live near a large mountain or hill that helps keep temperatures warmer?
Do you live next to a large body of water that keeps temperatures warmer?
Have you planted tall windblocking evergreen trees in your backyard?
Do you have other backyard features to help keep it warmer?

If so... Post a Picture! I want some ideas an data on what works and what doesn't work to squeeze out ever 1 degree of more warmth I can. I live near some hills and a river runs through my city. I'm debating on if it would make sense to get a house near the river or at the base of the hill to help have a warmer backyard. Also pondering what would be the optimal backyard setup for microclimates. 

I'm thinking of an evergreen windbreak for the north-side of the yard, 6' tall privacy fence painted black for windbreak + heat retainment, lots of stone in the landscaping + landscape rock, and a koi pond to give off heat as well.

~ I'd rather be on the beach ~

4 hours ago, LouisvillePalmer said:

Do you live near a large mountain or hill that helps keep temperatures warmer?
Do you live next to a large body of water that keeps temperatures warmer?
Have you planted tall windblocking evergreen trees in your backyard?
Do you have other backyard features to help keep it warmer?

If so... Post a Picture! I want some ideas an data on what works and what doesn't work to squeeze out ever 1 degree of more warmth I can. I live near some hills and a river runs through my city. I'm debating on if it would make sense to get a house near the river or at the base of the hill to help have a warmer backyard. Also pondering what would be the optimal backyard setup for microclimates. 

I'm thinking of an evergreen windbreak for the north-side of the yard, 6' tall privacy fence painted black for windbreak + heat retainment, lots of stone in the landscaping + landscape rock, and a koi pond to give off heat as well.

Generally speaking.. Cold air will typically drain toward the lowest points in a yard or area which would be areas near rivers, creeks,  canyons..  If looking into a piece of land / property, here in the Southwest and CA at least, the warmest possible position would be located about mid way up a hill ( are often referred to as " Thermal Belts" )

Coldest areas would be at the bottom or top of the same hill. 

North or east facing areas will always be cooler than a south or west facing area.

On a yard-size scale, lots of tree canopy is better than few or none when it comes to cutting down on the effects of frost that might settle on a cold night trapping more heat during the same event ( radiational cold event. Not advective ) 

Both stone / gravel. or wood mulch can help retain heat at / below ground level, though each has it's plus and minus benefits..  Here, you see a lot of yards where there is stone laid, but those areas are often open to the sky / is very little ...if any.. plant cover and / or overhead canopy.  This is great in the winter ( for helping to keep the ground warmer )  but is awful come summer when that stone, especially if dark in color, traps a lot of heat which can cook anything growing ( remember, it can be 110+ for weeks during the summer here) 

The best "ideal" when using stone is to lay a correct depth, usually 4-7" deep, then allow leaves, spent flowers, etc from everything planted  to lay on... and sift down through that rock. ...and to plant as much as you can in the rock ...everything from low growing annual and perennial stuff,  to trees which shade the stone, esp. in summer -Here at least-.

The rock provides a nice, well draining layer at the surface of the soil and allows oxygen to be drawn down deeper to the roots. Organic "duff" that accumulates on the stone will break down as it sifts down through the rock, releasing nutrients.  Stone itself also releases various minerals / elements as well, albeit slowly, though the speed such minerals, etc are released can depend on the type of rock.( Limestone / Sedimentary type rock will decompose faster than Igneous or Granite- types )  

Back east, you may not have to worry as much about summer heat accumulation if you use stone, esp if that rock is lighter in color / a mix of light and darker tones. 

Wood mulch works good back there for keeping the soil warmer in winter, but may retain too much moisture as it is breaking down during the warmer months, depending on how much clay is in your native soil.  Will definitely add nutrients to the soil though..  

Similar to which side of a hill you live on,  different parts of a yard will naturally run cooler / warmer ...South and western facing sides warmer than north / east sides of a yard. 

Windbreaks created on the north / west or east side of a yard can slow wind for sure, but there are situations where you want some wind blowing to help keep the air at the surface mixed. Still, clear nights are perfect set ups for a frost or freeze.  A light breeze blowing all night on those nights helps to keep the coldest air from settling. 

Same wind barrier during an advective freeze event may only have so much beneficial effects..  That wind barrier may slow down the wind, but that wind may still blow for long enough to strip away heat from sensitive plants.  Evergreen overhead canopy / placing especially sensitive plants on the south or west side of a building offers better protection for them overall.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
Edit
  • Upvote 2

All of the above. Get a house with major planting area facing south so you get maximum sun benefit in winter. Position canopy on the north side of the property to block north winds. Know what you can probably grow in the ground: Sabal minor, which comes in dizzying variations, and needle palms. I can’t grow Trachycarpus but maybe someone else can advise you on possibilities for them. You may still be required to protect even those in zone 6b so start researching protection options.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

the warmest possible position would be located about mid way up a hill ( are often referred to as " Thermal Belts" )

Coldest areas would be at the bottom or top of the same hill. 

North or east facing areas will always be cooler than a south or west facing area.

This is precise. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)