IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Zamia pseudoparasitica seeds germination

PalmsandLiszt

I recently received a couple of these seeds from RPS and the sarcotesta is very hard and firm even after 3 days of soaking; is this an indication that the seed is not yet ripe, or should I just scrape/cut it off? In all other tropical Zamias I have germinated the sarcotestae became soft and easily removed after one or two days of soaking. Not grown this species before, however, so if someone who has could chip in, that would be most appreciated.

I read that this cycad is spread from tree to tree by one arboreal species of mustelid, so having a hard fruit more easily clenched in the teeth might be a feature rather than a bug, and not an indicator of unripeness. But that's just speculation on my part. They were rather expensive seeds, so I'd love to know what the done thing is in this case.

Many thanks.

Edited by PalmsandLiszt

The seed in my opinion should be planted right after collected. I have seen them sprout in days. If the seed is still hard I would lay it on your preferred media and cross your fingers . I grew the ones in the pic from seed that I had set on a friends plants and they sprouted within a week

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

The seed in my opinion should be planted right after collected. I have seen them sprout in days. If the seed is still hard I would lay it on your preferred media and cross your fingers . I grew the ones in the pic from seed that I had set on a friends plants and they sprouted within a week

Thanks for the advice; I know the tropical Zamias do tend to germinate very quickly. I'm just worried about the flesh causing fungi and rot. I think I'll just try to scrape it off and plant the seeds. The little mammal would probably have gnawed if off in the wild. Also the sarcotesta inhibits germination in a lot of cycads, although maybe not in this case, as it is atypical. Did you get and plant your seeds with sarcotesta?

Your seedlings are looking good; are you growing them in 100% black lava rock or are there any organics in there? I can't get the black lava you have on Hawaii, but I have pumice, which I hope is a reasonable substitute.

17 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Clean the seed off soak for a day or 2 then place seed half way in the soil. 

Thanks, I shall follow your advice. This is a cycad I've long wanted.

I think the sarcotesta must also be a germination-inhibitor here. One of the seeds is now germinating after one day in water now I have scraped it off (which was quite difficult, as it was still very tough, like an extremely under-ripe lychee). I guess when the little mammal has taken the seeds to a different part of the canopy, and then returned to scrape off all the flesh, the seed then knows it's in a different place and germinates.