IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Split Leaf Metallica ... Wowwie!

tinman10101

I don't see many of these around nor many posts.  This is one of my favorites and today it definitely caught my eye.  Total eye candy for me.  :D  Post them it you got them.  I always enjoy photos of others well grown palms.  

Cheers

Tin

image.png.593f4b921ec4cf6e8d2de43c26a058ca.png

• Like 20
  • Upvote 3

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

One of my Has split leafs after years as well. Is this normal or something that happens as they get older? Mine is ratty from recent winds 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Looks almost like plastic Tin. Nice little palms with deep metallic green color. 

Here is one that's both pinnae and entire leaves on the same plant and one that is totally entire. 

Tim

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

• Like 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I've grown thousands of these from seed and would estimate that eventually 2 - 3 percent, at most, turned out to have divided fronds. 

• Like 5

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

2 hours ago, Caribbean Palms said:

I've grown thousands of these from seed and would estimate that eventually 2 - 3 percent, at most, turned out to have divided fronds. 

Any seedlings for sale ? 

T J 

T J 

9 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Any seedlings for sale ? 

T J 

All sold.

• Like 1

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

14 hours ago, realarch said:

Looks almost like plastic Tin. Nice little palms with deep metallic green color. 

Here is one that's both pinnae and entire leaves on the same plant and one that is totally entire. 

Tim

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

Wow Tim.  Those are awesome specimens!!!  Leave it to Tim's plants to outshine everyone's LOL

Are you insinuating my plastic metallica is fake?  🤣

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

On 1/24/2023 at 2:59 PM, tinman10101 said:

I don't see many of these around nor many posts.  This is one of my favorites and today it definitely caught my eye.  Total eye candy for me.  :D  Post them it you got them.  I always enjoy photos of others well grown palms.  

Cheers

Tin

image.png.593f4b921ec4cf6e8d2de43c26a058ca.png

Nice Tin.  Looks especially good after a rain which really adds to the sheen.  My one and only is entire leaf which apparently is the predominant form based on Caribbean Palms experience.   A nice companion plant is Chamaedorea adscendens.  I have the two adjacent in my garden which emphasizes the contrast between glossy metallica leaves and thick velvety leaves of adscendens.   The adscendens i have all started with unsplit leaves and became split over time, so have similar shape now to your split leaf metallica. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

You know, I was going through the yard yesterday and I have several pots of metallicas, pretty trouble free, they're in a good spot where they are happy, I need to plant them out one of these days in a group. One of them had fallen over and when I went to correct it I noticed it had pinnate leaves. I'll get a picture when I get home. Shows how observant I am!

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Mine did that the first few years, but as it grew (made it to about 5 ft) before it croaked, it had entire,

gorgeous leaves! But i put 3 in same pot (huge handmade clay Inca Bodied) and one was split, the other two entire.By far away the King of Chamedoreas!

And if they can take Texas crazy temps ( heat, moving indoors in cold), They are tough. Great species.

Edited by palmnut-fry

No split leaf here but my metallicas are happy growing here, (Loxahatchee Groves, Florida) planted outside, and producing a few seeds..20220319_182916.thumb.jpg.fc7f984c2ec9497531384b65868d0ab5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Looks great! 

Here's mine

20230128_112833.thumb.jpg.21cf8c562ffe5abe237b4daae35d0c8b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Oakley, California

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Such nifty little palms, always enjoy looking at photos and seeing them in the garden. 

Tim

6E832C56-108A-4E28-A568-E0C7E601BD42.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Really cool palm. Too bad they're so underutilized. I was able to find all mine for like 8 bucks a piece many years ago as seedlings on ebay. Now, the pickins are slim and people want an arm or a leg for them. How the times change...

I need this figure out how to get mine to seed and then I can get my arm back!

Edited by Patrick

Oakley, California

15 years or so ago, Rancho Soledad Nurseries had triples of Metallica. A few had a single split-leaf with 2 regulars. I bought them and tore out the regulars and tossed them :) These split-leafs are getting really tall. I agree Tin, killer palms. 

426E43B7-1517-4F7A-B306-B07F063EB87D.jpeg

C2F68BBA-1834-49CE-9804-CE9475F75B81.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin