IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Geranium leaf Aralia/Polyscias guilfoyel

bubba

Going back to some out of the ordinary specimens located in this older gentleman’s garden. Literature. I read stated that leaves drop in the event temperatures drop below 50°F and it is zone rated 11-12:62294CE8-DEEF-4D79-8FC5-F6BA5B091FD2.thumb.jpeg.471e71b7ced92e3d429a18e107a7636c.jpeg

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

I believe the Lowe's around here (TX) sell these in the little 4" pots as houseplants for like $6.  I was going to pop one in the ground here to see what happens, but defoliation at 50 doesn't sound fun at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

I believe the Lowe's around here (TX) sell these in the little 4" pots as houseplants for like $6.  I was going to pop one in the ground here to see what happens, but defoliation at 50 doesn't sound fun at all.

I haven't had any luck with Polyscias fruticosa...seems to die roots and all even after a normal winter 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

They are a bit hardier than that. I have 2 in my yard, 4-6ft tall. I had around 30-31 a few weeks ago and had maybe 10-20% leaf drop. Also have some planted out at Leu Gardens. It was a few degrees warmer there and they had hardy any leaf drop.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric I believe you are correct. We had a low of 43°F a couple of weekends ago. This gentleman‘s garden is one giant canopy, so I am certain that helps with the temperature. That stated, I have noticed a number of these specimens growing happily in peoples gardens with far less canopy. Obviously, this variety can take lower temperatures than advertised.

What you look for is what is looking