Geranium leaf Aralia/Polyscias guilfoyel

Going back to some out of the ordinary specimens located in this older gentleman’s garden. Literature. I read stated that leaves drop in the event temperatures drop below 50°F and it is zone rated 11-12:62294CE8-DEEF-4D79-8FC5-F6BA5B091FD2.thumb.jpeg.471e71b7ced92e3d429a18e107a7636c.jpeg

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

I believe the Lowe's around here (TX) sell these in the little 4" pots as houseplants for like $6.  I was going to pop one in the ground here to see what happens, but defoliation at 50 doesn't sound fun at all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Keys6505 said:

I believe the Lowe's around here (TX) sell these in the little 4" pots as houseplants for like $6.  I was going to pop one in the ground here to see what happens, but defoliation at 50 doesn't sound fun at all.

I haven't had any luck with Polyscias fruticosa...seems to die roots and all even after a normal winter 

• Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

They are a bit hardier than that. I have 2 in my yard, 4-6ft tall. I had around 30-31 a few weeks ago and had maybe 10-20% leaf drop. Also have some planted out at Leu Gardens. It was a few degrees warmer there and they had hardy any leaf drop.

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric I believe you are correct. We had a low of 43°F a couple of weekends ago. This gentleman‘s garden is one giant canopy, so I am certain that helps with the temperature. That stated, I have noticed a number of these specimens growing happily in peoples gardens with far less canopy. Obviously, this variety can take lower temperatures than advertised.

What you look for is what is looking