IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can I mix organic fertilizer with syntetic?

Palmfarmer

I finally got Palmtone. However I like to not let my old fertilizers go to waste. So would it be good to use a synth together with Organic? 

Npk is 12-8-16 Here is the full nutrient profile of the syntetic fertilizer: 

12% Nitrógeno total

5,0% (N) nítrico
        7,0% (N) amoniacal

8% Fósforo (P2O5) soluble en citrato amónico neutro y en agua
6,4% (P2O5) soluble en agua
16% Potasio (K2O) soluble en agua

Nutrientes secundarios:
3% Magnesio (MgO) total
      2,4% (MgO) soluble en agua 

25% Azufre (SO3) total
         20% (SO3) soluble en agua

Micronutrientes:

0,02% Boro (B)
0,06% Hierro (Fe)
0,01% Zinc (Zn)

• Like 1

Yes.  Maybe use each at 50% of the recommended "dose".

• Like 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Use up the synthetic, then transfer over to the organic.  Palms won't know the difference, the microbes in the soil certainly will. Healthy soil = healthy plant

• Like 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

7 hours ago, Moose said:

Use up the synthetic, then transfer over to the organic.  Palms won't know the difference, the microbes in the soil certainly will. Healthy soil = healthy plant

Ok I got a bit curious now after reading this:

"You can use both organic and synthetic fertilizers. For immediate results, you may need to feed with synthetic fertilizers while adding organic fertilizer blends to rebuild soil health over time. Whatever fertilizer you choose to use, make sure to apply it according to the package directions."

• 2 weeks later...

Microbes in the soil won't develop a relationship with your palm while synthetic mineral salts are provided.  You rebuild soil health by increasing organic matter in your soil. Organic fertilizers are processed by the soil microbes

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

That is a good question I have asked myself.  All biological processes operate through chemistry be it organic or not, so many of the "natural organic" sources of the NPK plus fertilizers were derived similarly to man made chemical processes.  Or to say it the other way, many man made fertilizers were chemically derived through processes that nature does through the "Organic" process.  Of course both natural and man made fertilizers contain things not fully known, reported or recognized easy or not.  It is these things that we should be concerned with such as toxic metals or compounds.  Some plants such as potatoes are great scrubbers of toxic chemicals and metals from soils, but if these same potatoes are then made into fertilizer either biologically or synthetically, the fertilizer will contain the toxins.

In general I trust either source so long as I know what went into making the fertilizer in the first place.  Knowing what went into a natural source is often much easier than what went into and procedures the man made source was made, but not always.  Nobody can know everything about anything so trust becomes the most important ingredient.  And may I say from my experience, TRUST is the one commodity very dear tempered through experience.

• Like 1