IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What variety of Garcinia?

bubba

I'm hardly an expert on the Garcinias, but I am going to venture that this is one of the aptly-named "lemon drop" mangosteens, maybe Garcinia intermedia or Garcinia madruno. But there may be other similar species out there. I think it's a big genus...

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Just looked that one up..."Garlic Fruit." Yuck! Not a very inviting name. Wikipedia says it is known for being similar to durian in flavor. Maybe it should be called Garlic Limburger Cheese Fruit...😒

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

No I did not. This place is such a jungle that it is nearly impossible to get a picture, much less get to a fruit. An older gentleman owns the property and has been planting extremely out of the ordinary varieties for many years. 

Unfortunately, no mangosteens, which seem to be a no go in South Florida. I watched a YouTube on Garcina spicata of a crazy young man eating this variety. He tried to keep a straight face and say it was OK but I would suggest that Michael’s comments are more to the point.

It is rather amazing to see varieties like Cannonballs, which are zone 11-12, growing so well. I have numerous other shots of extremely rare varieties of fruits and plants from this garden, whose names are completely unfamiliar, crowded and all over the place. I need to do further research as I post these items!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Yeah, most fruit that isn't mainstream at least somewhere, doesn't always meet the expectations of the local palette.  

Also, please note that Garcinia is a really confused genus. We may ID something as spicata or whatever but growers elsewhere would say otherwise. G. spicata seems likely most likely given the size of the tree. Also, just a note, mangosteen has been fruited outside of a green house in South Florida I think the first time was 1976. By the late, great Bill Whitman. 

The mangosteen in the Bill Whitman pavilion at Fairchild have fruited rather heavily,  but it has been a while since I was there. In a greenhouse, yes. Butnif breadfruit can fruit  so can mangosteen. The soil becomes the limiting factor at some point. 

• Like 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

16 minutes ago, khachaturian said:

Could be "Luc's Garcinia". You could try the Tropical Fruit Forum, palm talk for tropical fruit lovers :)

Seeing some in person several years back, fruit look too small to be Luc's. 

Regardless, considering where it was found ( near Mazatlan ) Luc's is supposedly fairly hardy -compared to some other Garcinia-, even surviving in S.Cal. -based on  reports posted in the giant thread on this variety on the TFF.  Had one here in the desert that did fine under our conditions, though the other thing growing in the same pot eventually out competed it for space.

Pretty sure there a few people in FL. growing it and getting fruit now. Supposedly a tricky task ( getting fruit ) since it is Dioecious and some plants can be reluctant to set fruit, even if hand pollinated..

• Like 2

Could be Lucs. But is spitting image of spicata till my water softener dump salt water on mine. 

I have several Garcinia, all for more than a decade and some more than 20 in Tampa. They can take more cold than usually assumed. 

I had a Lucs about 15 years ago, but I don't remember what happened to it.

Getting old stinks. 

• Like 2

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a