IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tarzan's backyard jungle

redant

True story, my neighbors call me Tarzan for a variety or reasons, maybe it's the loin cloth I wear around the yard 😆. Having a jungle is a must for any respectable Tarzan. This is just the "main drag" down the middle, there's so much more but iIwas working in the back and just did a quicky.  Sorry no sound , it looks a lot better if you select HD. Not a big youtube guy so not sure how to do all this stuff.

Edited by redant
  • Like 20
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

This is a good start….  Now you should make a movie with pics, names, discussions about which palms are doing well in what spots.  What a great jungle.  Love it.  

• Like 1

@redant I could see the whole Tarzan thing.  The jungle is certainly in shape for movie production.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

VERY well done! I especially like how you placed different-looking palms next to each other (to emphasize the contrasts). Two questions...

1. What's the dark-trunk palm at 2:30 (immediately to the left of the flamethrower)?

2. Can your neighbors see the subtle differences between your palms, or do they look the same to their eyes?
    (I find "palm blindness" a fascinating phenomenon, where all palms look the same to the general public).
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

53 minutes ago, iDesign said:

(I find "palm blindness" a fascinating phenomenon, where all palms look the same to the general public).

You mean there are different kinds? Lol that’s one I’ve got a lot. 

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1 hour ago, iDesign said:

VERY well done! I especially like how you placed different-looking palms next to each other (to emphasize the contrasts). Two questions...

1. What's the dark-trunk palm at 2:30 (immediately to the left of the flamethrower)?

2. Can your neighbors see the subtle differences between your palms, or do they look the same to their eyes?

Lol, I was talking to a guy at work who grew up in Hawaii….  He thought all palm trees were coconuts, and didn’t realize there were different kinds.  Most people around here think there are 4-5 different kinds…. None of my neighbors know the names of any of any of the common palms in their yards.  

• Like 2

Jungle boogie! Looks like the Beccariophoenix fronds stay extra dark green with that light exposure. Especially on Alfredii. I've noticed this with one of my own. I see a lot of nice Chambeyronias mixed in.  Not to mention what looked like a massive Tribear with bromeliads mounted on the trunk. Do you ever have an issue with Archontophoenix or other large self-cleaning palms dropping heavy dead fronds on the smaller nearby palms and breaking spears? Seems unavoidable and just part of the program in "the jungle". Also love the burning yard waste. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Hey Doug, you’ve created quite the place to wander around in, physically and mentally. One thing about a garden that large, even when you don’t have an agenda, the garden will give you one. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

23 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

This is a good start….  Now you should make a movie with pics, names, discussions about which palms are doing well in what spots.  What a great jungle.  Love it.  

I have so many and experimented with a ton more. I should sit down one day and do that. 

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

21 hours ago, iDesign said:

Thats a beccariophoenix alfredii right next to a coconut. beccariophoenix is one of my favorite palm species, I have them all. Most people don't seem to notice anything. I have about 8 Flame throwers right out front, not one person has ever asked me what they are. As stated below from looking glass, my brother from up north asked if all palms have coconuts lol.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

9 hours ago, Billy said:

Jungle boogie! Looks like the Beccariophoenix fronds stay extra dark green with that light exposure. Especially on Alfredii. I've noticed this with one of my own. I see a lot of nice Chambeyronias mixed in.  Not to mention what looked like a massive Tribear with bromeliads mounted on the trunk. Do you ever have an issue with Archontophoenix or other large self-cleaning palms dropping heavy dead fronds on the smaller nearby palms and breaking spears? Seems unavoidable and just part of the program in "the jungle". Also love the burning yard waste. Thanks for sharing.

I had over 100 royals in the back, I have reduced the population a bit but hell yeah, they will destroy all. Thats a tri bear, good eye, i have another even taller. 20 year old garden now so things are big.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL

5 hours ago, realarch said:

Hey Doug, you’ve created quite the place to wander around in, physically and mentally. One thing about a garden that large, even when you don’t have an agenda, the garden will give you one. 

Tim

No truer words. Never a day where I have nothing to do.

Jupiter FL

3 hours ago, redant said:

Thats a beccariophoenix alfredii right next to a coconut..

Beautiful... I'm actually curious about this one though:

dark.png.784f93be578d270c7b08c2e90ad6fd67.png

----

3 hours ago, redant said:

... my brother from up north asked if all palms have coconuts lol.

🤣

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

9 hours ago, redant said:

I have so many and experimented with a ton more. I should sit down one day and do that. 

You have enough subject material and years of experience to have your own YouTube channel.  

I used to make movies of our family vacations where we rented a beach house for a week and everyone came.  I’d edit through 100s of photos, videos, and add Ken Burns effects, splice everything together, add text and music and narration….  It was a bit addicting.  Its would turn out pretty good on just iMovie.  

Kind of addicting, and also shocking at how much raw footage it takes to boil down into a short film.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iDesign said:

Beautiful... I'm actually curious about this one though:

dark.png.784f93be578d270c7b08c2e90ad6fd67.png

----

🤣

I bought that as a spottle, X between a spindle and a bottle. Got from Jeff Searle (sp?) at a palm sale many years ago. It's a beautiful palm

01c1b6e3f4863853c54151ab6c0163337e980d4e03.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

8 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

You have enough subject material and years of experience to have your own YouTube channel.  

I used to make movies of our family vacations where we rented a beach house for a week and everyone came.  I’d edit through 100s of photos, videos, and add Ken Burns effects, splice everything together, add text and music and narration….  It was a bit addicting.  Its would turn out pretty good on just iMovie.  

Kind of addicting, and also shocking at how much raw footage it takes to boil down into a short film.  

Yeah to make a good vid involves lots of time and effort. My vis so far have been shoot and post lol.

Edited by redant
  • Like 1

Jupiter FL