IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical tree id

Tracy

I also think Hibiscus tiliaceus. Commonly found here in coastal Chiapas. Seems to be an easy plant. I have germinated a seed some months ago and the seedling is very tolerant of water shortage 😶

• Like 2

That's what it is, Talipariti tiliaceum (=Hibiscus tiliaceus). They are being grown somewhat out here in the Palm Springs area in the Coachella Valley. I have one, now about 12' tall, and it has done amazingly well in full sun, grown substantially out of a seven-gallon pot, and extremely healthy. It never burns in the summer, and has held its strong green color here throughout this year's chilly fall and winter, where so many other plants have done the usual California winter-sun-yellowish-blanching/chapping thing, or turned purple from the buildup of anthocyanins. Tracy, I see coconuts and black lava in your picture so assume this is in Hawai'i? I'm so used to them from my years living in Hawai'i and Florida...and so I assumed they'd take something of a hit here, especially in the desert summer with those broad leaves. But it is a killer plant out here, bringing a very tropical look to the low desert and with no complaints at all. Amazing.

• Like 5

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

2 hours ago, mnorell said:

That's what it is, Talipariti tiliaceum (=Hibiscus tiliaceus). They are being grown somewhat out here in the Palm Springs area in the Coachella Valley. I have one, now about 12' tall, and it has done amazingly well in full sun, grown substantially out of a seven-gallon pot, and extremely healthy. It never burns in the summer, and has held its strong green color here throughout this year's chilly fall and winter, where so many other plants have done the usual California winter-sun-yellowish-blanching/chapping thing, or turned purple from the buildup of anthocyanins. Tracy, I see coconuts and black lava in your picture so assume this is in Hawai'i? I'm so used to them from my years living in Hawai'i and Florida...and so I assumed they'd take something of a hit here, especially in the desert summer with those broad leaves. But it is a killer plant out here, bringing a very tropical look to the low desert and with no complaints at all. Amazing.

Yes Big Island,  HPP neighborhood.   Good to know it does well through our winters.  Seems like a nice small size tree with attractive blossoms. 

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Doesn't seem particularly thirsty. Mine is actually on the fringe of our irrigation system and doesn't get a huge amount of water. I'm sure it could do with sparse watering in the coastal or valley areas of SoCal once it's been established with a good root-system in place. It does grow on beaches around the tropical world, with of course generally excellent drainage, and often spotty rainfall or seasonal wet-season/dry-season patterns, so it is adapted to some fairly harsh conditions. A lot of plants from that ecosystem seem to do well in the desert and have some good drought resistance (e.g., Crinum asiaticum). 

• Like 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

1003127309-1005072-1671639567-134607.jpg

If that one works, you should try the variegated one.

• Like 4

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

• 2 weeks later...

We just call  'em   'Coastal Hibiscus'  in Darwin.  Very common street and garden tree planted throughout the city and suburbs

Here that is common around coastal areas and often right at the high tide mark in sand.

We call this “Vau” and it is regarded for many uses and also being a medicinal plant.

It appears to be endemic to all latitudes in the tropics and part of the subtropics north and south of the equator.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).