Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

exceptional good Trachycarpus seed harvest...


kristof p

Recommended Posts

This year the harvest on my Trachycarpus palms is exceptionally good. One of my trees has the leaves hanging from the weight of the heavy inflorescenses. This one takes the crown this year in terms of seed production.

trzot1.jpg

trzot2.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alex Zone 5 said:

HOLY 🤬🤬

yes, and the pictures are the front and backside of the tree!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fr8train said:

Wow, why do you think they're doing so well this year in particular?

I have no idea. Summer was hot and dry and autumn wet and mild. The winter before it was very mild but I guess a mild winter before flowering has not much effect on seed production. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow that's incredible! Poor mother. She must have bad back pain LOL. Did you water her during the hot and dry season? Because one reason I can imagine is stress. Many plants produce more seeds if they are under severe drought stress to save their own kind. Another reason could be perfect conditions for perfect pollination like wind, dry weather etc. Or did you pollinate it by hand?

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hortulanus said:

Wow that's incredible! Poor mother. She must have bad back pain LOL. Did you water her during the hot and dry season? Because one reason I can imagine is stress. Many plants produce more seeds if they are under severe drought stress to save their own kind. Another reason could be perfect conditions for perfect pollination like wind, dry weather etc. Or did you pollinate it by hand?

No, no extra water. For a few years now, the water shortage is getting worser and sometimes there is a ban on watering gardens or washing cars with city water. The little rainwater people have stored is soon used up.  Last summer was extremely hot and dry so no water for plants. They could use some extra water during the hottest days during droughts but they can take a little dought and heat. As long as it is not the intens kind of scorching heat and drought they have in southern europe. 

 

Edited by kristof p
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, kristof p said:

No, no extra water. For a few years now, the water shortage is getting worser and sometimes there is a ban on watering gardens or washing cars with city water. The little rainwater people have stored is soon used up.  Last summer was extremely hot and dry so no water for plants. They could use some extra water during the hottest days during droughts but they can take a little dought and heat. As long as it is not the intens kind of scorching heat and drought they have in southern europe. 

 

Yes I know it's becoming an issue in our fomerly rainy regions. But still that would support the thesis of being under stress and thus producing more seed, right?

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this enough to make Palms 5% less expensive? Windmill Palms love European Oceanic conditions. I don't think the drought these faced has the same implications as a lower latitude drought such as in the US. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, zone 14a said:

Is this enough to make Palms 5% less expensive? Windmill Palms love European Oceanic conditions. I don't think the drought these faced has the same implications as a lower latitude drought such as in the US. 

Watered Trachycarpus look fine here but ones that aren't watered look terrible and struggle. When the average temperature in July and August has been in the 80s the past few years except 2021 combined with a drought they struggle. Trachycarpus that were already struggling then had a month of 0 inches of rainfall then went through 40-41c in London definitely weren't happy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...