IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala ramsayi - show us yours!

DoomsDave

Here’s my big one. It’s gorgeous - visitors say as much - but hard to get a nice picture of it, crowded in with a Chambeyronia oliviformis. 

Show us yours! 

D7CCA219-CD2A-44CE-ACDB-0FE5B70459E8.thumb.jpeg.675bc2fd0efbd3fa95a789ed442b9f1d.jpeg

C87493E6-823E-4279-9503-027A885C60FC.thumb.jpeg.076824662cde83337a54d717f1527fec.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ah yes. I’m a visitor that stated this as I recall as well. Lookin’ good. I’ve got a small 5G I threw in the ground last spring. Not a ton of movement but no decline either so I’ll take it. Terrible picture in the dark attached. 

That Oliviformis is something to write home about. Perfect height right now for viewing. 

-dale 

image.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

What is the backfill like? Grown up from seed or bought as a juvenile plant? I discovered than I can grow young plants of the kind starting from seed only in a substrate consisting mainly of pine bark. 

@Apostolos05

• Like 2

Mine yellow a bit in our Northern CA winters but otherwise keep pushing on. The one pictured was planted out of a 4” container years ago. 

D70E1ACF-82AF-4279-9F2D-8ED7E99F2514.thumb.jpeg.1b6aa7a25d0d2c516b49d3180a9fa70a.jpeg

• Like 11

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My Licuala ramsayi growing in Loxahatchee Groves.

20230119_155345.jpg

• Like 12

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

12 minutes ago, Caribbean Palms said:

20230119_155345.jpg

Wow! Really nice. Super jealous. 

@DoomsDave @Jim in Los Altos @bubba …..what are y’all seeing as far as sun requirements, water needs etc? Mine is heavily shaded, protected by a pretty big Forsteriana and shed, being irrigated by drip every 3 days or so. As stated above, movement but not accelling. 

I’ve got another one that is still in the pot and I’m trying to figure out a location. I’m thinking this one will go in a location with more light but still protected.

To anybody else who wants to chime in and the aforementioned…..what say you? 

-dale 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billeb said:

@DoomsDave @Jim in Los Altos @bubba …..what are y’all seeing as far as sun requirements, water needs etc? Mine is heavily shaded, protected by a pretty big Forsteriana and shed, being irrigated by drip every 3 days or so. As stated above, movement but not accelling. 

I’ve got another one that is still in the pot and I’m trying to figure out a location. I’m thinking this one will go in a location with more light but still protected.

-dale 

Good question.

Bright light will be better, but not hot sun, on the east side of my house. I've got another one that's the sibling of the one in the picture, that's a lot smaller, and it's in deep shade. 

Both are still growing!

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, Billeb said:

-dale 

Mine are all in partial sunny positions with most of their direct sun coming in the late afternoon year round. They all have some plant canopy well above them. In summer, they are watered almost daily. These things need very moist soil. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

This is one shaded by a group of Green Malayan Coconuts and gets some direct sun for a short time, mid day.....its planted on the edge of a Cypress swamp and the soil is usually moist but I hand water during dry periods.....

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

7 hours ago, bubba said:

01C82CF9-A1D0-448B-BA83-480E80B9DE42.thumb.jpeg.7b784955af99111f06757ca4fb642db7.jpeg

Gorgeous!

Is that a Pinanga javana in the right background?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Mine are all in partial sunny positions with most of their direct sun coming in the late afternoon year round. They all have some plant canopy well above them. In summer, they are watered almost daily. These things need very moist soil. 

35 minutes ago, Caribbean Palms said:

This is one shaded by a group of Green Malayan Coconuts and gets some direct sun for a short time, mid day.....its planted on the edge of a Cypress swamp and the soil is usually moist but I hand water during dry periods.....

Noted, thanks. I think the other one I’m going to give a little more sun and see the differences in growth thru the years. My guess is the one with a little more sun will outgrow the shade laden one.   Thanks 🙏 

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

One of my favorite and best looking palms. 

B4B48A6B-933B-4631-86EA-D61CB52F0647.jpeg

303F0808-84EA-46E8-B23C-2D3CB4FE07F7.jpeg

13F98A95-90DC-41B1-B2B7-BEA8B326828D.jpeg

Matt, pictures definitely don’t do this palm justice. Much more impressive in person. 

-dale. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've got one of them going through the roof downstairs. Since the flood the growth is phenomenal and of course all the rain we've had since. 

IMG_20230120_165318.jpg

IMG_20230120_165227.jpg

IMG_20230120_165407.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 3

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

3 hours ago, KrisKupsch said:

small ones var. tuckeri and big one is typical ramsayi 

B9B5B6C6-E896-416E-8C46-AB0A46783AA8.jpeg

Wow, i did not know that varieties exist...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know where to possibly acquire one of these Ramsayi's? They seem to grow flawlessly by the pics. I can't seem to find one around my area. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

• Upvote 1

Those are my two best exemplars growing from seed thank to Justin Humphry. The left one had been almost a goner in perlite, until substrate changed to almost pure pine bark. It has mow the strongest root system of the two.

20230122_160613.thumb.jpg.c4291a66b296d3ff0391ee5bdef31957.jpg20230122_160613.thumb.jpg.c4291a66b296d3ff0391ee5bdef31957.jpg20230122_160656.thumb.jpg.19f26130f0a5252bef188d3c99c1d2d2.jpg20230122_160701.thumb.jpg.467525c03a39308a11cf69f185edbdc8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

@Palmizi got mine from Joe, Discovery Island Palms. He posts on the for sale regularly. 

Thanks Matt, I will check with him

• Upvote 1

These are also great potted palms that can live for years and look perfect in a five gallon container. I did finally plant them out and they are thriving.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This has to be my favorite (larger) licuala. It always holds its leaf no matter how much wind it gets 

E9E202B3-216F-4185-B237-C197FEB03E8B.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

This has to be my favorite (larger) licuala. It always holds its leaf no matter how much wind it gets 

E9E202B3-216F-4185-B237-C197FEB03E8B.jpeg

image.jpg

This information sounds wonderful, but I fear it does not refer to strong gusts like the one below.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

This information sounds wonderful, but I fear it does not refer to strong gusts like the one below.

Scirocco?

Here’s my other one, purchased and planted at the same time as the bigger specimen in the first post, back about ten years ago.

It was planted right next to what was at the time a relatively small Archontophoenix tuckeri. Note the trunk in background. 

It’s about one third the size of the bigger one, showing that placement can make a difference.
E938DA43-E99A-4B5A-8F63-E54D36321837.thumb.jpeg.85e940cd8d3e96f52fa5e7a3d267d94f.jpeg

• Like 2

Hmm.

Thinking about it a bit, my big and small specimens show that while placement matters a lot, the species is still pretty adaptable, even to less than ideal conditions. A nice point to make if one if these ever comes up for auction at a PSSC meeting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomas said:

Vento grecale in Greece? 🤣🤣🤣

Yep, northeastern wind, so called by Genoese sailors in the Aegean Sea.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:01 AM, Phoenikakias said:

We had 60- 80 mph wind about a month ago and this is what it looks like. They had 140 on top of the mountain and had to close the road down but it is not often for us here 

On 1/23/2023 at 8:37 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Yep, northeastern wind, so called by Genoese sailors in the Aegean Sea.

It was the marine repubblic of Venice that placed the imaginary wind rose on the island of Zakynthos, at that time part of the repubblic. And Greece is exactly to the northeast 🙂

On 1/22/2023 at 3:01 PM, Phoenikakias said:

Spectacular setting!

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:39 AM, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

Thinking about it a bit, my big and small specimens show that while placement matters a lot, the species is still pretty adaptable, even to less than ideal conditions. A nice point to make if one if these ever comes up for auction at a PSSC meeting.

I haven't seen these at a PSSC meeting auction for a long time.   I would most happily support the organization by bidding on one after seeing some exemplary specimens in gardens the last few days.  There is a paradigm shift that one must undergo when visiting gardens in Hawaii and seeing how these perform as opposed to where we  (Dave and I) are growing these in Southern California.  I am just happy we can grow them.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Hey, who dat? That is my man Tracy..... we took the photo just for you Dave.

Hilo Jason brought Tracy and his wife Dana over for a tour of my garden on Sunday, we had a great time talking palms and plants. It was a highlight of my week, maybe the month.  

Anyhow, glad to see these Licuala growing so well in SoCal, they are nice palms at any size.

Tim 

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, realarch said:

Hey, who dat? That is my man Tracy..... we took the photo just for you Dave.

Hilo Jason brought Tracy and his wife Dana over for a tour of my garden on Sunday, we had a great time talking palms and plants. It was a highlight of my week, maybe the month.  

Anyhow, glad to see these Licuala growing so well in SoCal, they are nice palms at any size.

Tim 

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2094.jpeg

This was just one spectacularly grown palm species in a garden loaded with beauty at every turn. Tim, we could disagree over who was having more fun, the visitors or the host, but I will settle for a draw.

This week has been like someone who sees in black and white suddenly seeing in color.  Familiar species grown larger and healthier, plus so many genus and new species we can't grow at home.  

Back to the thread,  I need to find one and make a space for Licuala ramsayi in my garden. Thanks for the nudge.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Here’s a better picture of my large one; it’s starting to rival the ones in Hawaii, at least a bit

E9E1F53E-3024-42BC-9EA8-6168495BE82C.thumb.jpeg.ef00e0cf039d3f01f7520019fc5da055.jpeg

87673A09-E152-45D3-91FE-4F9D3F37FCFD.thumb.jpeg.81df74933027e85c47e6e6db4f5f9521.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

It also leers at me while I’m taking a shower 

DC02CB3E-E3CD-43E1-8E04-7F05E4CE17DC.thumb.jpeg.c5ce88ae2ce1383bf443065154555406.jpeg

• Like 2