IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mature Brahea edulis

Jason S.

I have a neighbor who needs to have 2 mature Brahea edulis removed from his property because they are impacting his sewer line. The house is located in University City, 92122. If anyone knows of someone who has the ability to excavate and relocate them to a good home that will care for them that would be great. I would take them myself, but they are large and will likely require a crane. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 1.31.25 PM.png

I have doubts about this diagnosis.  Has the sewer line been inspected by camera?  What is the piping material? What are the symptoms that have precipitated this diagnosis?

Typically. dicot tree roots can invade a terra cotta sewer line, since this type of pipe used 'bell and spigot' joints sealed with mortar. Eventually the mortar will crack and leak, attracting roots.   This sort of pipe has not been used for residential construction for many decades, (at least in California).  My home was built in 1930 and has cast iron pipe with lead joints under the house footprint and terra cotta from the house edge to the municipal connection at the street edge.

I am a retired B license home improvement contractor, and I have seen many plumbing and electrical contractors falsely recommend expensive repairs.

Even if this sewer line needs to be replaced the new pipe need not be placed exactly where the existing one lays,  and could be routed around the palms.  Adult Brahea palms are not amenable to transplant.

This residence may have problems with the sewer line, but I doubt that the palms are a contributing factor.   :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I have doubts about this diagnosis.  Has the sewer line been inspected by camera?  What is the piping material? What are the symptoms that have precipitated this diagnosis?

Typically. dicot tree roots can invade a terra cotta sewer line, since this type of pipe used 'bell and spigot' joints sealed with mortar. Eventually the mortar will crack and leak, attracting roots.   This sort of pipe has not been used for residential construction for many decades, (at least in California).  My home was built in 1930 and has cast iron pipe with lead joints under the house footprint and terra cotta from the house edge to the municipal connection at the street edge.

I am a retired B license home improvement contractor, and I have seen many plumbing and electrical contractors falsely recommend expensive repairs.

Even if this sewer line needs to be replaced the new pipe need not be placed exactly where the existing one lays,  and could be routed around the palms.  Adult Brahea palms are not amenable to transplant.

This residence may have problems with the sewer line, but I doubt that the palms are a contributing factor.   :)

Thanks. I don't know too much about the situation with the sewer line, but I'll pass along the information.