IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mini Sabal palmetto?

fr8train

I found this palm at local nursery, and I was wondering what would cause it to trunk at this size? The other palms around it that were this size were not trunking. I took a shot with full size palmetto around it too. I'm also curious what you all think a fair price would be for something like this?

20230117-153744.jpg

20230117-153747.jpg

20230117-154115.jpg

20230117-154119.jpg

20230117-154122.jpg

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

Its probably been underpotted for its entire life and/or underwatered.

• Like 2

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

1 hour ago, JLM said:

Its probably been underpotted for its entire life and/or underwatered.

If you pot it up, or put it in the ground, do you think it will remain stunted like this? 

I kinda like how it looks, it's like a bonsai or something. 

Edited by fr8train

I think once it’s In the ground it will resume like normal, even bonsais if you plant them they usually return back to normal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I think once it’s In the ground it will resume like normal, even bonsais if you plant them they usually return back to normal

Will palms grow a thicker trunk, once they start trunking? Since they're not really like traditional trees? 

I'd buy it and try to keep it like it is, but I think it was over $400, so no go, unfortunately. I'm not 100% sure on the price as the tag was very faded. 

It's stunted and neglected. If you planted it, watered and fertilized it, it will probably grow but I don't see it ever reaching the healthy state of a cared-for palm. If you planted it, then avoided watering and fertilizing it you might be able to preserve its stunted size - to what purpose only you know. Unlike Sabal minor, I know of no trunking Sabals that display genetic dwarfism. I wouldn't pay $200 for it, much less $400. You need to ask for a deep discount to rescue/salvage the pitiful thing.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It's stunted and neglected. If you planted it, watered and fertilized it, it will probably grow but I don't see it ever reaching the healthy state of a cared-for palm. If you planted it, then avoided watering and fertilizing it you might be able to preserve its stunted size - to what purpose only you know. Unlike Sabal minor, I know of no trunking Sabals that display genetic dwarfism. I wouldn't pay $200 for it, much less $400. You need to ask for a deep discount to rescue/salvage the pitiful thing.

I take it you're not a fan of bonsai.

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

Great marketing concept! “It’s not stunted and neglected - it’s bonsai-ed.” And thus worth 2x the price of garden variety Sabal palmettos.

I have nothing against bonsai, esp. those that are creations of skill and talent. But bonsai “by default”? Not so much. I feel sorry for the wretched thing in the photo. If I could get and plant it at a cost that doesn’t bankrupt my 401K I’d give the idea thought. But I don’t care to see another palm lover ripped off. And I reiterate: you can obtain a genetically coded bonsai by finding one of of the Sabal minor dwarfs: Blountstown, Wakulla, Chipola…… They are tiny, i.e., so-called “rock garden” palms but they don’t trunk.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.