IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NikoPalms

Hello everyone,

I'm no palm expert but I've never seen a queen/syagrus like this one in the photo...

It has a thick trunk, huge palm fronds and leaflets as wide as 10cm 

Wondering if it's a syagrus variety or just some Santa Catarina Queen. 

Located in Glyfada, south Athens, Greece. Fivis/Aggelou Metaxa st

Photo is from today, Jan 17/2023

20230117_121501.jpg

• Like 7

It's sad that the sight of a healthy Queen palm is rare enough site it can be mistaken for a different palm type.

In my neighborhood Queens are the #1 planting, and it's rare that one looks healthy. Took this photo literally minutes ago driving home from an errand. Sadly Queens in this state are extremely common. Would love to have one like your example in the neighborhood.

IMG_7463.thumb.jpeg.469229d6ef0f1793face3e06f3056876.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

On 1/17/2023 at 4:34 PM, NikoPalms said:

Hello everyone,

I'm no palm expert but I've never seen a queen/syagrus like this one in the photo...

20230117_121501.jpg

That right there is an exceptionally beautiful Queen! Theres hardly a sign of any discoloration, its all green! That in of itself is rare.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 1/18/2023 at 6:34 AM, NikoPalms said:

Hello everyone,

20230117_121501.jpg

They can be a beautiful palm when grown well, that's for sure. 

But then any palm grown badly will look ugly. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

But then any palm grown badly will look ugly. 

Very true, though from my observations some types of neglected palms LOOK worse than others.

My suburban neighborhood has primarily Queens, Kings, Kentia & Mexican Fan palms...

- Neglected Queens LOOK the worst, with a poof of tiny yellow fronds and extreme penciling. The one in the above photo isn't even the worst-looking Queen I've seen 🤣 
- Neglected Kings & Kentias look surprisingly good despite terrible care (and water restrictions). They're undoubtedly unhealthy, but don't show their misery in as dramatic of a way as the Queens do. 🌴
- Mexican Fans don't seem to need any sort of care in my area. I've seen glorious, robust ones pushing through sidewalk cracks, with no water source that I can see.  😈

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

Wow! That’s one of the best looking syagrus romanzoffiana I ever saw… although I am no expert to tell the difference between the regular form and the Santa Catarina form, I would say it is the regular one. That’s just because the nurseries in Greece don’t have such varieties in stock. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the responses! 

Yes it is an exceptionally beautiful example of a queen palm 🌴. They really are beautiful when grown probably and they have a full crown of healthy fronds. 

Hoping to grow my 2 queens just as healthy. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/20/2023 at 7:09 PM, iDesign said:

Very true, though from my observations some types of neglected palms LOOK worse than others.

My suburban neighborhood has primarily Queens, Kings, Kentia & Mexican Fan palms...

- Neglected Queens LOOK the worst, with a poof of tiny yellow fronds and extreme penciling. The one in the above photo isn't even the worst-looking Queen I've seen 🤣 
- Neglected Kings & Kentias look surprisingly good despite terrible care (and water restrictions). They're undoubtedly unhealthy, but don't show their misery in as dramatic of a way as the Queens do. 🌴
- Mexican Fans don't seem to need any sort of care in my area. I've seen glorious, robust ones pushing through sidewalk cracks, with no water source that I can see.  😈

I have come randomly across this thread and according to my experience there has to be a considerable genetic variation in the sp regardless horticultural conditions. Some specimens have indeed quite fat trunks with recurving fronds and chunky leaflets. Others have a very dainty look, yet they still are healthy and well grown. In the last group is also my own specimen included (unfortunately). It has a slender trunk and straight fronds with thin leaflets. But it looks at least healthy without whatever leaf discoloration or yellowing.

20230703_190924.thumb.jpg.327f3103d5379b7b1fdeab8c4535e32d.jpg20230703_190927.thumb.jpg.a1775d119d0076d3cadb6b4c85e266db.jpg20230703_190940.thumb.jpg.76bb215403d502bd1ba3af34ef4e9d57.jpg20230703_191057.thumb.jpg.d654f02b2254974f2f2d1111199980a9.jpg20230703_191138.thumb.jpg.bd107268cc6f353ef8268876de0eb4dc.jpg20230703_191336.thumb.jpg.cb0e16270faa9496ec68b4e13b255640.jpg

20230703_191149.jpg

• Like 1

Here on the tableland of Paraná there are native queens that are like this. 

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!