IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Going to try in Zone 6B

Dig The Soil

Having lived in the desert southwest for decades, I am now in suburban Cleveland and I am going to try to plant Windmill and Needle palms this spring.  How should I protect them in the winter? I am choosing southern exposures and will need to be diligent and cross my fingers for sure. Thanks. 

• Upvote 2

Definitely add Sabal minor to your list.  The foamboard box method is used in 6 and below on the windmill most often.  You might can do one of my methods on my Youtube (TNTropics) as well.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I'm about 35 miles NE of Indy. 5B - 6A.

I've got a Needle planted. In ground about 1.5 years. Mulched thick with Oak leaves and I cover with garbage can or blankets when getting down to say 12F or below. After the cold event (like we had at Christmas, I uncover but keep the leaves.  So far, so good 

20230116_100621.jpg