IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm Problems

AZJakeB

Hello Everyone,

I've had this mule in the ground for about 3 years now.  It was doing great but now I'm seeing a frond that came out dead.  Also, a couple adjacent fronds are half dead and half green.  Any ideas?

thumbnail_IMG_2330.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2331.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2332.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2333.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2334.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AZJakeB said:

Hello Everyone,

I've had this mule in the ground for about 3 years now.  It was doing great but now I'm seeing a frond that came out dead.  Also, a couple adjacent fronds are half dead and half green.  Any ideas?

thumbnail_IMG_2330.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2331.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2332.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2333.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2334.jpg

It could be a fungus causing bud rot.  

Do you know if fusarium wilt is in your area?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I HAD a mule this past summer…..RIP

anyways it was doing great, looked fantastic and grew fast and then all of a sudden the fronds one by one started doing what yours is doing. Half brown and half green. I’d cut one off and then within days another frond would start to do it, eventually it took over the whole tree. It’s gone now. Its wilt and unfortunately the damage is done, it will contaminate the soil around it even. 
where is the mule palm from? 

I suspect fusarium wilt. I hope I’m wrong. The symptoms you describe are classic for this disease. Leaves start to die, one half at a time. The palm goes from green to dead in just a few weeks. I lost all my queens, mules and a Washy to this disease in 2015/16. It is often transmitted by contaminated pruning tools. It is always fatal. I stopped planting the Syagrus genus even though a few species of that genus survived unscathed (picrophylla, kellyana, schizophylla). 

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

I also believe it is due to contaminated pruning tools. My grandfather stressed cleaning after each use with rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for the responses.  I sure hope it isn't fusarium.  Typically how long before the whole palm dies?  

I got it from Pacific Palms here in Phoenix.  

1 hour ago, AZJakeB said:

Thanks for the responses.  I sure hope it isn't fusarium.  Typically how long before the whole palm dies?  

From the time I noticed symptoms the palm was dead in about 3 weeks. I also noticed dead fronds were a peculiar grayish-brown color.

Meg

Florida

2 hours ago, AZJakeB said:

How is your mule palm looking now? 

7 hours ago, Jtee said:

How is your mule palm looking now? 

It looks about the same.  This palm is on the north side of my house.  I'm wondering if it's from too much shade.  

2 minutes ago, AZJakeB said:

It looks about the same.  This palm is on the north side of my house.  I'm wondering if it's from too much shade.  

By now you should be noticing other fronds doing the same thing, everytime I cut off a half green/brown frond, another would die off within a couple days. I’m not sure if wilt is a thing in dry areas but I know it’s fairly common in the Deep South. I hope it’s not wilt but it really does look like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone I think it's a goner.  It is slowly declining.  Going to end up losing it when it warms up I think.  

I need to replace it but I'm afraid that whatever I put in will suffer the same fate.  Is there anything I can do or is this spot doomed for 2 years?