IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Royals after a month of nights in the 40s

Breaktheory

In November this tree was lush with practically no brown - after a month of day temps in the 50-60s and nights in the upper 30s-40s it’s looking severely beaten up - this was planted from a 36” box 8 months ago. Is this to be expected every winter or will it grow more hardy as it establishes?

29853827-2FB1-4042-90B7-9816972B535E.jpeg

Those temperatures shouldn’t be a problem I think when all fronds are new from the area it is now planted in it should be fine!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My experience with them was rough at first I must have killed atleast 10 . I started covering them during the first year of planting during extreme heat and during colder nights . After that I haven’t lost a single one . And I don’t cover them anymore .Crown looks a little skinny on that for the size of the trunk . Keep it protected a little bit . And come spring they usually grow so fast it should grow right out of that . And hopefully it will be established below ground . Like I said that is my experience . 

Edited by JubaeaMan138

12 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

My experience with them was rough at first I must have killed atleast 10 . I started covering them during the first year of planting during extreme heat and during colder nights . After that I haven’t lost a single one . And I don’t cover them anymore .Crown looks a little skinny on that for the size of the trunk . Keep it protected a little bit . And come spring they usually grow so fast it should grow right out of that . And hopefully it will be established below ground . Like I said that is my experience . 

That's good to hear - if you're in Riverside you have similar temps to mine (I'm in Agoura Hills) Here's the tree on Dec 6th, just over a month ago.

69204654026__40981FBC-69A5-4D4C-B01D-C1736C76530C.jpeg

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

Those temperatures shouldn’t be a problem I think when all fronds are new from the area it is now planted in it should be fine!!

I hope so - I will say that it's grown 2 new fronds since planting here and those are still pretty fried

Looks like it has seen some frost on its fronds to me. These are tropical palms that absolutely hate frost on their fronds but as folks from California that are in similar climates as yours have said they can be acclimated to your area. By they way, they hate frost in the central Florida tundra too and can be killed outright by frost at younger ages. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

13 minutes ago, ruskinPalms said:

Looks like it has seen some frost on its fronds to me. These are tropical palms that absolutely hate frost on their fronds but as folks from California that are in similar climates as yours have said they can be acclimated to your area. By they way, they hate frost in the central Florida tundra too and can be killed outright by frost at younger ages. 

It's possible - we also did have some strong winds over the past month that beat them up a bit...strangely though my foxtail and a 15 gallon Royal I have seem unfazed!

1 hour ago, 96720 said:

I have never had any problems with mine in Phoenix hot or cold but I do water them a lot summer and winter!! 

057CBCDD-8511-4AC9-9E55-FDD3F4914FF5.jpeg

Looking good! I was watering them 4 times a week 20-30 gallons each tree during summer and they were thriving - I cut back to once a week for the winter but we've also been getting drenched with rain

3 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I am trying one again, it was cranking until winter hit and has slowed. Last bit of growth was a couple weeks ago…

Did you cover yours to keep the rain out? It’s been nonstop rain for a very long time and now I am wishing that I kept the crown dry. I might do some hydrogen peroxide in 3 days since the rain is going to quit for a while.

Temps are going to be a little cool, highs in the 50s, lows of 30s and 40s

Edited by enigma99

19 minutes ago, Breaktheory said:

It's possible - we also did have some strong winds over the past month that beat them up a bit...strangely though my foxtail and a 15 gallon Royal I have seem unfazed!

Yes. Could just be cold wind burn. Anyway for what it is worth, foxtails handle frost and frozen dew better than royals, but mature royals prevail overall with long term survival in central Florida. Helps that most of the royals planted in central Florida were field grown in homestead to several feet of thick trunk so they may get fried every other year but they still manage to limp along because the growth bud survives the cold. 

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Royals can take a hard freeze every few years but really do need warmth for the most part to truly thrive and look good. Let us not forget that Roystonea is native in Desoto county in Florida which is not a coastal county but it does have a river through it where the royals are native. It does get below freezing every year in Desoto county.

Edited by ruskinPalms
  • Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

They get hardier with time and size.

Here’s one of mine like a week ago.

D0EFDC08-BFB4-4264-A250-6089CF9C1551.thumb.jpeg.49d61ca2a4e9aad7b5baab77dccaf44e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Don’t give up @Breaktheory!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:23 PM, enigma99 said:

I am trying one again, it was cranking until winter hit and has slowed. Last bit of growth was a couple weeks ago…

Did you cover yours to keep the rain out? It’s been nonstop rain for a very long time and now I am wishing that I kept the crown dry. I might do some hydrogen peroxide in 3 days since the rain is going to quit for a while.

Temps are going to be a little cool, highs in the 50s, lows of 30s and 40s

You know I didn’t cover them at all and the rain pounding them certainly didn’t help - looks like it’s going to continue into next week…

Haven’t heard of using hydrogen peroxide  - what will that do for the trees?