IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona chinensis issues

JLM

My livistona chinensis is having issues. Not sure what the cause is. I had left them both outside during a light freeze, but they were up against the house and probably didnt event experience such temperatures. This was over a month ago, and i doubt its causing it. The other thing is that they were inside for 5+ days for the Christmas freeze event. 

The issue is that the lower fronds have died, and now the upper fronds are slowly turning brown starting from the end of the fronds and going towards the petiole. I will post pics soon.

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Please do....

• Like 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh damn i done forgot about this. I should probably take some pics tomorrow morning if i remember lol

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

IMG_20230201_075905249_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_075859388_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230201_075915264_HDR.jpg

Edited by JLM
  • Upvote 1

Each time fronds turn brown could be a sign of over or underwater it, fungus , root rot , age , cold temperatures, nutrition deficiency., wrong fertilizing, not too much sun or too much or too little humidity. It's hard to tell from the outside without knowing how you take care of your palm .  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusH said:

Each time fronds turn brown could be a sign of over or underwater it, fungus , root rot , age , cold temperatures, nutrition deficiency., wrong fertilizing, not too much sun or too much or too little humidity. It's hard to tell from the outside without knowing how you take care of your palm .  

I like to add something.  You said they were outside during a light freeze. Your palms are very young growing in a pot. The roots were more exposed to the freeze since the cold air reached every square inch of your pot. Now let me ask you this how low did the temperature drop and did the palm get wet ?

• Like 1

I'd cut off the brown with clean cutters and spray with copper fungicide especially spear area.  Cutting off brown will give fungus less things to attack.  keep soil on dry side till growing well.  This palm is pretty set back

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

6 hours ago, Allen said:

I'd cut off the brown with clean cutters and spray with copper fungicide especially spear area.  Cutting off brown will give fungus less things to attack.  keep soil on dry side till growing well.  This palm is pretty set back

I had thought about just planting it, but i didnt know if that would set it back more. 

11 hours ago, MarcusH said:

I like to add something.  You said they were outside during a light freeze. Your palms are very young growing in a pot. The roots were more exposed to the freeze since the cold air reached every square inch of your pot. Now let me ask you this how low did the temperature drop and did the palm get wet ?

The temperature likely never dipped below 30F, especially since it was on the patio which is typically 2-3F warmer than the yard. The soil may have been wet when this freeze occurred, since we usually get rain associated with a cold front, and then the freeze comes the following night. The palms have been inside and outside, so light is probably why the current green parts are such a pale green. I will say though, i have not noticed any progression of these brown areas within the past week, so hopefully all is well.

Some palms react strongly to a change of location.  It could be it.  After what you said I don't think it was the temperature. 

In Southern California about 20 years ago I put one on my south facing slope and it wasn't any larger than yours. I never had any problem with it in the winter. I am about 18 miles from the coast so it gets cooler here than Ventura but no frost on my property ...yet. I've been here in this house for 25 years and the L. Chinensis is one of the palms that just keeps plugging along. It is very slow growing , the Brahea Edulis passed it up years ago!  Harry