IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Good reliable online seed source? Live plant source? Best time of year to order?

fr8train

Years ago I remember using RPS for seeds, but I've I read a lot of bad things about them on here, and their shipping to the US 10x what I remember it being. 

North Texas palms was a good seller, but I think they're no longer in business. 

Coldplant - I got very good true princeps seeds years ago. Unfortunely no princeps this year, hopefully next year. 

Since RPS doesn't seem to be reliable for non-European buyers, I was just sort of wondering where people can get rarer seeds? When I took a break from buying palms, since I lived in the north and ran out of room, but there were options. Now I'm somewhere where I can actually grow some palms outside year round, and I have the room to do it, but no great places for seeds. I kinda don't want the standard stuff either. I can buy a large fortunei, there's no need to struggle with growing it from seed. I can't readily buy a vulcano or lisa (though I was able to score some seeds from bigfish on here :greenthumb:). 

I wonder about scams on ebay too, like you order rare seeds, only to get something more common in their place. Then 10 years later you realize they weren't actually vulcano seeds, but standard European fan palm. Stuff like that. 

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

6 hours ago, fr8train said:

Years ago I remember using RPS for seeds, but I've I read a lot of bad things about them on here, and their shipping to the US 10x what I remember it being. 

North Texas palms was a good seller, but I think they're no longer in business. 

Coldplant - I got very good true princeps seeds years ago. Unfortunely no princeps this year, hopefully next year. 

Since RPS doesn't seem to be reliable for non-European buyers, I was just sort of wondering where people can get rarer seeds? When I took a break from buying palms, since I lived in the north and ran out of room, but there were options. Now I'm somewhere where I can actually grow some palms outside year round, and I have the room to do it, but no great places for seeds. I kinda don't want the standard stuff either. I can buy a large fortunei, there's no need to struggle with growing it from seed. I can't readily buy a vulcano or lisa (though I was able to score some seeds from bigfish on here :greenthumb:). 

I wonder about scams on ebay too, like you order rare seeds, only to get something more common in their place. Then 10 years later you realize they weren't actually vulcano seeds, but standard European fan palm. Stuff like that. 

I have had good experiences with seeds and seedlings that I got from Palmtalk members, particularly @NatureGirl, @PalmatierMeg and @Bill Austin.  Keep an eye open in the "For Sale" forum for their ads.  Due to recent hurricane damage there might be fewer ads temporarily.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4

Jon Sunder

I have ordered seeds from Sheffield's Seeds (based out of NY i think?) with good success. They don't strictly specialize in palms, but they do get some species on occasion. I like their website because you can sort by "New" so you know you are getting fresh seeds. Recently, I bought some Jubaea seeds in September that are starting to pop now, not a bad turnaround for Jubaea.

Here's what they have for palms currently:

https://sheffields.com/Palm-Seeds-for-sale

• Like 3

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

6 hours ago, Fusca said:

I have had good experiences with seeds and seedlings that I got from Palmtalk members, particularly @NatureGirl, @PalmatierMeg and @Bill Austin.  Keep an eye open in the "For Sale" forum for their ads.  Due to recent hurricane damage there might be fewer ads temporarily.

Yeah I've gotten some great stuff from people on here. I'm always on for sale forum lurking :greenthumb:

5 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

I have ordered seeds from Sheffield's Seeds (based out of NY i think?) with good success. They don't strictly specialize in palms, but they do get some species on occasion. I like their website because you can sort by "New" so you know you are getting fresh seeds. Recently, I bought some Jubaea seeds in September that are starting to pop now, not a bad turnaround for Jubaea.

Here's what they have for palms currently:

https://sheffields.com/Palm-Seeds-for-sale

Interesting, maybe I'll give them a shot for some Jubaea seeds too. Thanks.

Edited by fr8train
  • Like 1

I've had good luck on eBay and Etsy. I look at the feedback and base my decision off of those. Usually upper 90% and I feel safe. Desertscapes been a good source on those,I got a Bulgaria from him and it's grown well. Victor Silver of the palmgrower.com has some cool stuff (princeps and princeps hybrids!) He's in the UK tho and it takes $ and time for it gets here. I purchased princeps and princeps waggie from him. Many people on here have purchased from him on palmtalk. He seems to be a good guy. @Vic on here

good luck

N8

• Like 3

23 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I've had good luck on eBay and Etsy. I look at the feedback and base my decision off of those. Usually upper 90% and I feel safe. Desertscapes been a good source on those,I got a Bulgaria from him and it's grown well. Victor Silver of the palmgrower.com has some cool stuff (princeps and princeps hybrids!) He's in the UK tho and it takes $ and time for it gets here. I purchased princeps and princeps waggie from him. Many people on here have purchased from him on palmtalk. He seems to be a good guy. @Vic on here

good luck

N8

Oh nice. I see a lot of cool stuff for sale over in Europe, but I didn't know you could get live plants from there over to here. 

I tried www.palmgrower.com but looks like the site is down.

7 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Just seeds from Vic, at least stateside, should have put that in the original post. 

Did you fill out a customs form after you placed your order for the department of agriculture? 

I P.M.d him on here. My purchases were before his website was up.His website is pretty new.  @Vic if you see this chime in! 

Hopefully he'll see this and can help you out :greenthumb:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fr8train said:

Did you fill out a customs form after you placed your order for the department of agriculture? 

Nope, it was the first time I'd purchased seeds from overseas. It took about 2 months or so for them to get here. Victor had put a declaration on the package as to contents. But I didn't contact DOA, not sure if I needed to or not 🤔

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, fr8train said:

Interesting, maybe I'll give them a shot for some Jubaea seeds too

I’ve still got some jubaea seeds left for sale, blue and green form. Fresh seed Collected myself October ‘22. Took them 55 days to sprout. I have 400 germinating currently. With some patience, In a few years I’ll have a good jubaea stock! 

C7024004-C76E-4C21-BFA3-539C58BBD7FB.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I P.M.d him on here. My purchases were before his website was up.His website is pretty new.  @Vic if you see this chime in! 

Hopefully he'll see this and can help you out :greenthumb:

I placed an order yesterday through his website 👌

5 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Nope, it was the first time I'd purchased seeds from overseas. It took about 2 months or so for them to get here. Victor had put a declaration on the package as to contents. But I didn't contact DOA, not sure if I needed to or not 🤔

I see, ok. I've ordered stuff from overseas in the past and 90% of it made it. The form wants my SS#, so I sorta stopped. It's very involved. I also have a suspicion that that would put me in a database as someone who orders this stuff and I'd get flagged down more, but maybe I'm paranoid and over thinking it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I’ve still got some jubaea seeds left for sale, blue and green form. Fresh seed Collected myself October ‘22. Took them 55 days to sprout. I have 400 germinating currently. With some patience, In a few years I’ll have a good jubaea stock! 

C7024004-C76E-4C21-BFA3-539C58BBD7FB.jpeg

I'd be interested in both blue and green form seeds. I wouldn't buy many, 10 or 25 of each form if that's possible. Let me know :greenthumb:

Edited by fr8train

9 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Research - Phytosanitary Certificate for plant and seed import / export.

Yeah I might end up getting it. Vic recommended doing so. 

• Like 1