IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does Ravenea rivularis really have a heel?

Fusca

I was reading up on Ravenea rivularis in the new-and-improved Palmpedia.net and saw the following.  Everything seems accurate except the last line where it says that it's a tillering palm with a heel.  I've never seen a heel on juvenile palms that are ALWAYS available in big box stores.  The ones I am growing are still not trunking but no sign of a heel.  Is this just a misstatement?  I seriously doubt that it develop one later in life since I've seen heels on Sabal and Dypsis seedlings with no adult leaves.  I've never grown this one from seed so maybe it's only visible as a seedling?  

Culture

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Majesty Palms will grow well outside in Southern California under certain conditions.

First, LOTS of water. And, any conditions that help same. Clay soil is much better than sand, or silt, because clay holds water. R. rivularis like to be waterlogged, since their habitat is along riverbeds.

Make sure to give space to a palm that will produce a trunk a foot and a half (18" or .5 m) across, up to 100 feet (eventually) 33. m tall. A great lawn palm. A great palm in a boggy spot where the land has been raped, and drainage is not so good.

"This is one of the most commonly sold 'house palms' nowadays, and the sad thing is it performs terribly as one. It is a great outdoor plant, though in the continental US it's a bit hard to keep from yellowing at the tips, especially if planted in full sun. It is a relatively fast palm for Southern California, and grows faster the more heat and water it gets. It eventually grows to 50' or more in the US, but in Madagascar, it's home, it can get up to nearly 100'. As the name suggests, it grows along rivers and loves to have its roots constantly moist. The only major dangers to this palm are cold (can't handle temps below the mid 20sF) and snails LOVE it, and will quickly shred the leaves to bits. Watering the crown, particulaly in the cooler months of the year, and especially the cool months to warm month period, is risky (though rain water seems to be OK... tap water is the problem). Rot/bud damage is very common in this species, at it is in many of the non-crownshafted feather-leaf palms, from tap water on the crowns ANY time of the year... but mostly in late winter/spring, as the palm starts to grow again... so if you plant this palm in your lawn, try to avoid having the sprinkler hit the crown. It is nearly impossible to overwater the roots of this plant (unless maybe planted in a very heavy clay soil)... but the crown is very sensitive to being 'overwatered'. I can't tell you how often i see this happen around southern California (and happened to several of my own palms)... live and learn." (Geoff Stein)

Comments and Curiosities

[Collapseread more

This is a dioecious genus.

An aptly named species, since it only grows along riverbanks. It has recently become very popular in cultivation, and when well-watered grows at an impressive speed. The species can be admired from the main road Ihosy-Tulear, in a large stand at Ilkaka village near the Isalo National Park. (J. Dransfield and H. Beentje. 1995)/Palmweb.

Conservation: Vulnerable in habitat. Some 60 trees seen in two populations; they do not grow in any protected area. (J. Dransfield and H. Beentje. 1995)/Palmweb.

Uses: Seeds collected for export. This is one of the most sought after Madagascan palm species in international horticulture. Seed is harvested from the wild for trade.

Conservation: IUCN Red List of Threatened Species - Endangered. Known from four fragmented sites in the southwest of Madagascar with an extent of occurrence of 2,122 km² and an area of occupancy of 144 km². The species may be locally abundant, however, about 900 mature trees are estimated for the whole distribution range. The subpopulation in Isalo is on the margin of the national park and those in Analavelona occur in a taboo area. There is continuing decline in the extent and quality of the habitat and in mature individuals due to the various threats. This is one of the most popular palm species from Madagascar in international horticulture, and although there are strict trade regulations in place, illegal harvest of seed from the wild still occurs. Endemic to the southwest of Madagascar, between Isalo, Sakaraha and Analavelona mountains Population: About 900 mature trees are estimated across all the known sites and the population is declining. Usually found on river-banks in lowland forest, but also grows in shallow and slow moving water. Recorded from 300 up to 1,000 m. (Rakotoarinivo, M. & Dransfield, J. 2012.)

Date Assessed: 2010-12-17. ♦ Estimated area of occupancy (AOO) - km2: 144 ♦ Number of Locations: 4 ♦ Lower elevation limit (metres): 300 ♦ Upper elevation limit (metres): 1000

Conservation Actions: The species is listed on CITES Appendix II. The subpopulation at Isalo is on the margin of the national park and those in Analavelona occur in a taboo area. Monitoring of the harvesting is required and possible additional enforcement of the controls. (Rakotoarinivo, M. & Dransfield, J. 2012.)

One of the most popular potted plants on Earth. Fast from seed to a couple meters tall.

This is a tillering palm, it exhibits saxophone style root growth (it has a heel), keep top third of heel above soil elevation!

Jon Sunder

R rivularis does not have a heel in my experience. I’ve grown them from seed and they never have a heel. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

56 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

R rivularis does not have a heel in my experience. I’ve grown them from seed and they never have a heel. 

That's what I figured - I was just about to plant one and saw no heel.  I never looked for one on the other one I planted.

Jon Sunder

I think all but rivalaris have a heel . I grow r. Dransfeildii and samberinense and glauca and all 3 are heeled palms

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I think all but rivalaris have a heel . I grow r. Dransfeildii and samberinense and glauca and all 3 are heeled palms

Interesting.  I have a small glauca also (from Floribunda) so I will have to check it.

Jon Sunder

Ravenea hildebrandtii doesn’t have a heel either…. At least mine don’t.   

8B1EDD47-74FB-4CB2-912B-E29DCCA6048E.thumb.jpeg.f34e9567ac504139080014d438dd7b55.jpeg

Never saw a rivularis with a heel…

0BEF8486-7AE6-4F85-BF3C-F7EE7A648227.thumb.jpeg.c24ae1c29bb8335c79e0d3212c10d062.jpeg