IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Brahea seedlings or plants for sale.

SilverDragon

Not picky on the species, but it seems all I can find for sale online are seeds

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

Probably because Brahea species are notoriously poor transplanters,especially if bare rooted for shipping.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

22 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Probably because Brahea species are notoriously poor transplanters,especially if bare rooted for shipping.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Hm I hadn't considered that...

• Like 1

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2023 at 10:29 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

So how do you put them in the ground?

Put the seeds directly in the ground?

Thxs

Pat

No. They will transplant from a POT,where roots have minimal disturbance just fine. If BARE ROOTED to save weight and size on shipping,it is almost a guaranteed death sentence for certain species like this or Bismarckia,or Copernicia, for example.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Here's some Bismarckia freshly field dug and shipped to Lowes. You would think the grower would have been more careful.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230226_135215248_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230226_135254401_HDR.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

Here's some Bismarckia freshly field dug and shipped to Lowes. You would think the grower would have been more careful.

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230226_135215248_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230226_135254401_HDR.jpg

Wow, indeed. I bet nobody cares, the grower got his dough and lowes probably paid peanuts for the whole field.

That W. Robusta on the left on the other end looks good. That’s the only palm i m putting in ground this year.

Thxs

Pat

42 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

The Lowes store here in San Francisco often has Wodyetia palms for sale.   :(

Why the sad face?

i assume Wodyetia should not be sold to transplant?

Thxs

Pat

27 minutes ago, Hardypalms said:

Why the sad face?

Thxs

Pat

Foxtails have no chance growing in SF.  Not enough heat.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

@SilverDragon, I'll have some Brahea edulis seedlings for sale around spring & make a post then.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

16 hours ago, Hardypalms said:

Why the sad face?

Thxs

Pat

Wodyetia has zero chance of survival as an outdoor, in-ground plant here in San Francisco.  I consider its presence at a local garden center to be gross incompetence, (or more likely ignorance) by whoever manages the store inventory.

This is a prime example of just how crude are the USDA climate zones, both SF and south Florida are zone 10.

San Francisco, California