IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea Butyracea just arrived

idontknowhatnametuse

Should I transplant it to a bigger pot or no? The bag is the size of the palm of my hand and it has one root sticking out of the bag.

I don’t like transplanting palms this time of year because they are not actively growing and they can’t grow out of transplant shock I would wait and just plant it out in the spring!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ones that size I have in 6" diameter x 12" tall Steuwe pots.  It's the CP612R, if you can find them they are great pots. 

As far as repotting them now or waiting, I'm not sure.  I've usually avoided buying new plants in January-February.  I have done a couple of Floribunda orders in December, just as it's starting to get cold here in Florida.  They had no problem being stepped up into 1g or 3g pots at the time.  But I was super-careful to not disturb the roots that had grown into the lava rock soil it shipped in.  I'd think that if you can carefully slice off the bag you could step that up into a large 1g or similar pot.  But you'd want to keep the existing soil and roots undisturbed.  As @96720said, they probably don't want transplant shock on top of shipping/transportation shock.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like Your in the high 70s to 80s I’d say you’d be safe I’m not to familiar with your Monterrey climate . But it also wouldn’t hurt to wait until things really start heating up. 

Is it fine like this? My mom and dad don't want me to buy more pots so I used that, I will obviously put it in the ground on spring. Should I prevent it from leaning or no

20230105_131710.thumb.jpg.a04c4b7eb4e8d5e54ad7e8206e31e0e6.jpg

20230105_131703.thumb.jpg.9e549b11f09dd1d6840c6188891f4435.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the lean, all of my Attalea have done that a bit.  I think it's just because the root growth is saxophone-shaped so it pushes off to the side a bit when young.  A tall 2L is totally fine as a pot, as long as you cut holes for drainage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

I wouldn't worry about the lean, all of my Attalea have done that a bit.  I think it's just because the root growth is saxophone-shaped so it pushes off to the side a bit when young.  A tall 2L is totally fine as a pot, as long as you cut holes for drainage.

Yes, it has 6 holes if I remember correctly.