IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Extreme record breaking winter heatwave in Europe

UK_Palms

Arguably the most extreme heat event ever on record is taking place in continental Europe right now. Many countries have smashed their all-time January records. Some by as much as 4-5C / 9F with thousands of individual records being set in towns and cities across Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Poland, Czechia, Latvia, Belarus, Ukraine etc. Central Europe especially has never seen anything like this before in winter. The UK largely misses out on this heat plume however.

Poland's capital, Warsaw, has an average maximum of just 0.5C / 33F in early January. On Sunday the temperature reached +19C / 66F, breaking the previous record by a staggering 5C / 10F.

As it stands there have been 281 separate records in Germany over the past 24 hours.

113 records and still counting in France today with temperatures up to 25C / 77F in the southwest near the Basque region in Bay of Biscay. A well known warm spot.

432149301_download(1)dfdff.thumb.png.5e62d86d216e9bd98897e6db5af40ccf.png

Temperatures into the mid-20's / 75F in northern Spain up at 43N. More records set. That is pretty much their mid-July average high.

Bilbao hottest place in Europe with a max of 25.1C / 77F.

Denmark's highest January temperature on record too.

This has gone under the radar a bit but Liechtenstein has seen its warmest January temperature on record too with 20.6C / 69F.

Austria very warm as well with various records broken.

Kyiv in Ukraine with it's warmest January day on record too, beating the previous record by 2-3C. Record high temperatures at various places in southwest Ukraine and northern Romania.

With temperatures 15-20C above average in parts of Poland, Belarus and Ukraine, that would be the equivalent of London having a 25C / 77F high and an 18-19C / 65F low.

Hottest part of Europe was 25.1C / 77F at Bilbao in northern Spain.

2117185690_download(1)fff.thumb.png.c0ff7a28850f24d4501fc2dc679deb86.png

More records will be broken tonight and tomorrow in eastern Europe especially.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I was really hoping for a cold winter in the northern hemisphere.  Maybe I'll get my wish. 

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

I didn't post the New Years eve records but plenty were broken, including the warmest December day on record in Belgium, coming on the final day of the month! Also the highest NYE temperature on record in Poland too. These are separate to the New Years day records that I posted previously.

Belgium and Luxembourg smashing their December records as well as January records

December record high max AND record high minima both broken on 31st for the Netherlands too. The January record was broken the following day.

Germany alone has likely seen over 1,000 separate records since NYE now with many more today. Nighttime temperatures in particular have been extreme for the time of year.

December record high for Germany as well on NYE, followed by more record breaking temperatures on New Year's day. Quite unbelievable.

The records just keep coming. Almost every station in Ukraine set new all-time record highs for January. Parts of southwest Russia too.

Pretty much every European country has experienced their warmest year on record ever in 2022, especially western and central Europe. It was the warmest year on record in UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg etc. Quite an unprecedented year for us all.

Some GFS operational charts also had 44-45C / 113F temps being modelled in London last July. The ultimate high was 40.2C / 104F in London but that peaked quite early around midday as a colder front started pushing in from the Atlantic. Under optimum solar heating until 3pm that could have easily been higher. The climate in Europe is changing as quickly here as anywhere else. Makes you wonder what 2023 will bring now...?

195249197_London45C.jpg.eedabcd9cecb1c14ec2eca76c68b22b9.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Out of the freezer and straight into the fire! 🔥

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have measured a high of 20°C in my garden and some stations in the area even 21°C. It's not only been the warmest New Year's Eve ever but also the warmest day of December ever recorded. Apparently it's also been on average the sunniest year ever, even sunnier than 2018. Funny thing is last year's New Year has been exceptionally warm as well and just before that happend then, I thought about this exact scenario, because I was wondering if we would also get heat waves in winter. Not mild temperatures but actual warm temperatures. And now it happend. I mean this is very likely not even the pinnacle. I can imagine even warmer temperatures to occur in the future. Considering our latitude it's incredible how warm it got.

• Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

On 1/3/2023 at 4:32 AM, UK_Palms said:

I didn't post the New Years eve records but plenty were broken, including the warmest December day on record in Belgium, coming on the final day of the month! Also the highest NYE temperature on record in Poland too. These are separate to the New Years day records that I posted previously.

Belgium and Luxembourg smashing their December records as well as January records

December record high max AND record high minima both broken on 31st for the Netherlands too. The January record was broken the following day.

Germany alone has likely seen over 1,000 separate records since NYE now with many more today. Nighttime temperatures in particular have been extreme for the time of year.

December record high for Germany as well on NYE, followed by more record breaking temperatures on New Year's day. Quite unbelievable.

The records just keep coming. Almost every station in Ukraine set new all-time record highs for January. Parts of southwest Russia too.

Pretty much every European country has experienced their warmest year on record ever in 2022, especially western and central Europe. It was the warmest year on record in UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg etc. Quite an unprecedented year for us all.

Some GFS operational charts also had 44-45C / 113F temps being modelled in London last July. The ultimate high was 40.2C / 104F in London but that peaked quite early around midday as a colder front started pushing in from the Atlantic. Under optimum solar heating until 3pm that could have easily been higher. The climate in Europe is changing as quickly here as anywhere else. Makes you wonder what 2023 will bring now...?

195249197_London45C.jpg.eedabcd9cecb1c14ec2eca76c68b22b9.jpg

During that heat they predicted temperatures up to 47°C around here! I was actually very worried about not only my plants but also because of people. We hit 40°C several times before but 47°C is almost a 50, scorching 50 degrees! I mean this is an unbelievable heat. And I knew it would be possible with the heat the Pacific North West in North America got in 2021 in a similar climate. Luckily it didn't happen, but they said that we're still expecting and preparing for temperatures up to 50°C in the cities in the near future. This is crazy because 10 years ago 40°C was considered a scorching hot day. Everything above 35°C actually...

• Like 2

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂