IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Treating fungus with Lysol

glasalle

I covered my Washingtonia robustas with garbage cans to protect them from a 14F cold snap.  I was out of town and left them in place too long. The leaves and spears have fungal growth on them. The spears looks partially dead, but has about 3 inches of green coming out of trunk. The dead part has fungus on it. I was worried about the fungus descending down the spears, so sprayed them with Lysol. Now I'm wondering if that was advisable. 

I don't think Lysol will help. It may be worth gently tugging on the new spear to see if it pulls out. If it doesn't pull I’d rinse the Lysol off gently with a spray bottle of water and a paper towel. You can then use 3% hydrogen peroxide as a drench down the center of the crown. It will probably foam up pretty good. . Also trim off any dead or dying parts of the spear and fronds and throw them away since the fungus is present there. It seems like most people re-treat every week or so until there is some sign of life. Alternating between hydrogen peroxide and copper fungicide might be more effective. Full disclosure, I have limited experience with this but some success. Hopefully somebody else can chime in with more/better info  

• Like 1

I don't know if this would work on palms, but I am testing cinnamon.  I have apple trees we were constantly spraying.  We had an arborist out to look

at the infected tree and all he recommended was a Very Expensive fungus spray.  I saw/read

that cinnamon is anti fungal.  I bought cinnamon chips at nuts.com.  No one knows about the correct application since they are

too busy selling herbicides.

I just threw a handful on the ground under an infected plum tree and the apple trees.  I bought more to apply again.  Now I am

also applying to my yard grass that has a fungus/yellow spot.   My thinking is, why not try.   

• Upvote 1