IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best fertilizer for yellow fonds

Bill Nanaimo

I have 9 palm trees all are 7-8years old have been in the ground for 2-3 years, 8 of 9 are doing well this winter on Vancouver island but one has yellow fonds, almost all of fonds on it are yellow, hard to get good fertilizer so I’ll have to get it on Amazon any recommendations on what to get ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Nanaimo said:

I have 9 palm trees all are 7-8years old have been in the ground for 2-3 years, 8 of 9 are doing well this winter on Vancouver island but one has yellow fonds, almost all of fonds on it are yellow, hard to get good fertilizer so I’ll have to get it on Amazon any recommendations on what to get ? 

Palmgain if you can get it in Canada.  Palms tend to yellow in our climate over winter, but this will fix them up pretty quick once its warm enough to apply.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you want to treat just the yellowing and it is in fact a Mg or K issue, you want a sul-po-mag fertilizer. The stuff I try to use looks like pink crystals. I've found it before on Scamazon (they're OK, I'm just highly biased). Made by Greenway Biotech if you search. There has GOT to be a better source for this stuff, though. I just wish I knew some of the manufacturers so I could buy direct. I was able to get it cheap in Hawaii, retail. So it's pretty common and cheap if you can decode the product. 

But if ALL the fronds are yellow that's probably a nitrogen issue. When it's cold the plant has a hard time with nutrient uptake. You're on Vancouver so it's pretty cold right now. Wait until it warms up and give it/ them some high nitrogen things, like Ironite or blood meal.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:04 PM, Chester B said:

Palmgain if you can get it in Canada.  Palms tend to yellow in our climate over winter, but this will fix them up pretty quick once its warm enough to apply.

I’ve looked everywhere and can’t get palmgain here in Canada, actually scamazon has it but it’s $132 for a 2lbs bag, might have to go on a weekend getaway to Bellingham or Seattle 

On 1/1/2023 at 1:15 PM, Patrick said:

If you want to treat just the yellowing and it is in fact a Mg or K issue, you want a sul-po-mag fertilizer. The stuff I try to use looks like pink crystals. I've found it before on Scamazon (they're OK, I'm just highly biased). Made by Greenway Biotech if you search. There has GOT to be a better source for this stuff, though. I just wish I knew some of the manufacturers so I could buy direct. I was able to get it cheap in Hawaii, retail. So it's pretty common and cheap if you can decode the product. 

But if ALL the fronds are yellow that's probably a nitrogen issue. When it's cold the plant has a hard time with nutrient uptake. You're on Vancouver so it's pretty cold right now. Wait until it warms up and give it/ them some high nitrogen things, like Ironite or blood meal.

Agree with sulpomag. Put it out in fall when the palm can still take up nutrients. It should not encourage too much new growth but give the existing tissue nutrients. 

Thats how I use it, anyway.

7 hours ago, Bill Nanaimo said:

I’ve looked everywhere and can’t get palmgain here in Canada, actually scamazon has it but it’s $132 for a 2lbs bag, might have to go on a weekend getaway to Bellingham or Seattle 

Do they not have mailbox/shipping place just over the the border in WA where Canadians can have things shipped?  I used to do it in Niagara Falls, USA, cost only a few dollars per item.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Chester B said:

Do they not have mailbox/shipping place just over the the border in WA where Canadians can have things shipped?  I used to do it in Niagara Falls, USA, cost only a few dollars per item.

Chester B a question,  If unable to find or get a Palm fertilizer, is it not possible to purchase separate ingredients to come up with similar composition to make a 4-2-8 with micro nutrients.?  I have done that with other plants with good success being careful to not over fertilize.  

In my experience fertilizing outdoor plants at this time of year is not useful and can be detrimental if plant starts greening up and growing only to suffer setback with another cold spell.  On my Citrus trees fertilizer is added in late winter (late Feb early March for my climate) as applied fertilizer needs watering in with rain and takes several weeks to reach the roots and by late March early April our climate is warming up and things are growing. 

2 hours ago, Banana Belt said:

Chester B a question,  If unable to find or get a Palm fertilizer, is it not possible to purchase separate ingredients to come up with similar composition to make a 4-2-8 with micro nutrients.?  I have done that with other plants with good success being careful to not over fertilize.  

I'm not that advanced but I know a few people on here do this.  Palmgain has quite a few ingredients that are not normally used in general fertilizers, maybe this could be a challenge for someone to recreate the recipe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chester B said:

They are available and work great for those that live on the Mainland. I used one all the time in Thunder Bay when I lived there. However, living on the Island means $180 in ferry tickets along with 4+ hours of travel time just to get to the border. Makes for some real expensive fertilizer. 

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

On 12/31/2022 at 3:38 PM, Bill Nanaimo said:

Pictures would probably go a long way in trying to narrow down the issue(s).

I got some palmgain from Amazon. It wasn’t cheap but I just had to try it because of all the feedback on it on PalmTalk. I’ve used it sparingly and the outcomes are good. A lot of my palms have healthy leaves and good root growth. 

I may look into a mailbox in the US. I need to get some exotic hybrids from Patrick and some palmgain!

Edited by southpacific73

9 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

I got some palmgain from Amazon. It wasn’t cheap but I just had to try it because of all the feedback on it on PalmTalk. I’ve used it sparingly and the outcomes are good. A lot of my palms have healthy leaves and good root growth. 

I may look into a mailbox in the US. I need to get some exotic hybrids from Patrick and some palmgain!

I think Patrick ships to CA, I know he has shipped to Europe.

23 hours ago, ShadyDan said:

They are available and work great for those that live on the Mainland. I used one all the time in Thunder Bay when I lived there. However, living on the Island means $180 in ferry tickets along with 4+ hours of travel time just to get to the border. Makes for some real expensive fertilizer. 

Well I guess if you have another reason to make it over, you could coordinate.  I took the ferry from Tsawwassen to Nanaimo, but I don't remember it being that exorbitant, but it was a number of years ago. 

13 hours ago, RJ said:

I think Patrick ships to CA, I know he has shipped to Europe.

Patrick doesn’t do phytosanitary unfortunately. Did it already!  Customs seized them and shipped them back. Now I’m  out of plants and cash. Stupid CBSA lets drugs in freely but cans my palms!