IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplant shock sabal minor

Weston wally

My sabal minor I got oct 7th, well both leafs pulled out, I have been pouring peroxide down the crown weekly for 3 weeks I’m not sure what to do, should I just give on it, it looks very dead 

F12A4B3C-751D-4927-8EE7-9214D471112F.jpeg

78D63380-6E05-4BF5-9B3D-CC88389D7FBA.jpeg

Looks dead

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I agree. I think the issue was that they shipped it bare root. A minor that big would have lots of roots and are very sensitive. If I bought one that size it needs to be shipped in a pot. That's just my take. Trachycarpus no big deal but sabals unless small cheaper seedlings needs to be potted.

• Like 1

Definitely dead. Did you dig it out of the ground to pot it? Be aware that Sabals with less than 4-6’ clear trunk are nearly impossible to transplant. That’s because all that digging fatally damages the underground growing point. Non-trunking Sabals, i.e., minor have no chance. Try growing from seeds instead or finding a minor already pot grown

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 12:52 AM, Weston wally said:

My sabal minor I got oct 7th, well both leafs pulled out, I have been pouring peroxide down the crown weekly for 3 weeks I’m not sure what to do, should I just give on it, it looks very dead 

F12A4B3C-751D-4927-8EE7-9214D471112F.jpeg

78D63380-6E05-4BF5-9B3D-CC88389D7FBA.jpeg

I can send you some seedlings if you want.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 9:17 AM, SeanK said:

I can send you some seedlings if you want.

I’ll take them if you don’t want them I ended up getting a new one from a better source . I would appreciate it!

Edited by Weston wally

Not exactly the main subject of this thread, but when do you recommend to repot Sabal seedlings from a community pot? Is there a way to prevent too much shock?

Oh and the plant in the pictures looks dead to me as well... 😬

Edited by Hortulanus

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

21 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Not exactly the main subject of this thread, but when do you recommend to repot Sabal seedlings from a community pot? Is there a way to prevent too much shock?

Oh and the plant in the pictures looks dead to me as well... 😬

When they hit their 2nd or 3rd leaf I move them into 1g pots that are 6-8” (15-20 cm) deep or more. But I live in FL. You should probably wait until spring when warming weather jump starts growth.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

When they hit their 2nd or 3rd leaf I move them into 1g pots that are 6-8” (15-20 cm) deep or more. But I live in FL. You should probably wait until spring when warming weather jump starts growth.

Alright thank you. I keep them inside, but they are still slow, I guess because of the lack of light in our Northern latitude. My thought was actually to put them outside as long as it's still cold and to repot them in a more dormant state. I thought that might prevent a shock.

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

2 hours ago, Hortulanus said:

Alright thank you. I keep them inside, but they are still slow, I guess because of the lack of light in our Northern latitude. My thought was actually to put them outside as long as it's still cold and to repot them in a more dormant state. I thought that might prevent a shock.

They are very slow where you live. Sabals want lots of heat and sun and if they don’t get those they creep like snails. If you provided supplemental heat and light they will be much happier.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

53 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

They are very slow where you live. Sabals want lots of heat and sun and if they don’t get those they creep like snails. If you provided supplemental heat and light they will be much happier.

Oh yes I know... 🥲 I have S. uresana planted out and it's one of my slowest palms. I had S. brazoriensis planted out and it was also slow but not as slow as I thought it would be. I'm just starting out with Sabals as a new field of interest with growing S. palmetto 'Lisa' and S. causiarum from seed. I treat them as very long term "in the background" plants anyways. But from what I've read in this forum and others I think the main factors for Sabal growth are high night time temperatures for prolonged phases, lots of water and sun intensity. They seem to grow slower the further they are planted North no matter the climate.

Edited by Hortulanus
  • Like 1

Yes it's me Hortulanus 😂

I had one do this exact same thing then 2-3 months later I had a new adult leaf come out. Don’t give up on it just because it is brown. Spray with copper fungicide alternatively Neem oil and wait. No fertilizer. 

Winter low: 16F (December 2022), Summer/spring high: ~85F (March 2023). Very humid climate.