IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Sp ‘toasted’

Xerarch

Saw this what I presume is a Dypsis or one of the palms formerly known as Dypsis. Unfortunately I was not aware of this palm before the freeze so only found it in its toasted state.  Any idea on ID? It probably saw around 23 degrees during the freeze. 
FAAAFE47-395B-474F-A96B-B498C189E32F.thumb.png.6499bef49591551a7fd5c6960b4170ff.png

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Looks like Pembana. But with Dypsis or Chrysalidocarpus(who’ chose this ridiculous name lol?)they are so many different species perhaps someone else will provide a stronger ID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James B said:

Looks like Pembana. But with Dypsis or Chrysalidocarpus(who’ chose this ridiculous name lol?)they are so many different species perhaps someone else will provide a stronger ID.

Nah, I don’t think Pembana.  Leaflets aren’t wide enough.  

33 minutes ago, idontknowhatnametuse said:

Looks like a normal Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens to me

I think it does look more like a Dyp. Lutescens or hybrid there of.  Doesn’t have the yellow colors I’m used to seeing with lutescens though. Good looking clump whatever it is. 🤙

-dale 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Billeb said:

Nah, I don’t think Pembana.  Leaflets aren’t wide enough.  

I think it does look more like a Dyp. Lutescens or hybrid there of.  Doesn’t have the yellow colors I’m used to seeing with lutescens though. Good looking clump whatever it is. 🤙

-dale 

There is a nice clump of lutescens in another yard in town I know of that is very golden, this one is not, so not sure if it’s something else or maybe just a lot of variability in lutescens. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Lutescens around here looks just like that pretty often.  Some are more gold, some are more green.  Some are under watered and potassium deficient and look more brown.   But the fronds and rings look similar.   Pembana looks “flatter”, with wider leaflets here.  

• Like 3

How much cold can Dyp. Lutescens take?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I'd agree with Lutescens ssp "Toasted."  :D  Mine look pretty similar with anything under 30F, especially with frost.  I also have a 15' tall Pembana ssp "Toasted" that is only a little bit better looking than the Lutescens about 20' away.  I had high hopes for Pembana (now Pembanus?) for my yard, but two years in a row with severe damage means it's probably not going to be a good 9B choice.  I lost half the Pembana trunks last year, and the surviving ones had just barely started putting out new fronds in November.  Lutescens regrows a lot faster and looks better by mid-summer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Merlyn said:

I'd agree with Lutescens ssp "Toasted."  :D  Mine look pretty similar with anything under 30F, especially with frost.  I also have a 15' tall Pembana ssp "Toasted" that is only a little bit better looking than the Lutescens about 20' away.  I had high hopes for Pembana (now Pembanus?) for my yard, but two years in a row with severe damage means it's probably not going to be a good 9B choice.  I lost half the Pembana trunks last year, and the surviving ones had just barely started putting out new fronds in November.  Lutescens regrows a lot faster and looks better by mid-summer.

Crazy how different they are here in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

For me Pembana grows like a rocket whereas Lutescens dies off in winter and grows much slower in summer.

I guess Lutescens likes your humidity whereas Pembana thrives more in dry heat. 

18 hours ago, James B said:

Chrysalidocarpus(who’ chose this ridiculous name lol?)

As I understand it:

Chrysalidocarpus - Palms named for the shape of their fruits, which resemble butterfly pupae when stripped of their epidermis. Chrysalido- from Latin for "gold-colored pupa of a butterfly;" -carpus from Greek for ""fruit." H.Wendl., Bot. Zeitung (Berlin) 36: 117 (1878)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

2 hours ago, James B said:

Crazy how different they are here in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

For me Pembana grows like a rocket whereas Lutescens dies off in winter and grows much slower in summer.

I guess Lutescens likes your humidity whereas Pembana thrives more in dry heat. 

Both grew really well for me, and Pembana was growing very fast...4-6' per year in height.  After the 24-26F and frost my big Pembana cluster caught some bud and/or trunk rot problems, and the trunks that survived very slowly started putting out new fronds.  I think if it hadn't gotten 75% defoliated it would probably still be going strong.  I think I'm just 10-20 miles too far north out of the urban heat island.  Lutescens got torched about the same amount but didn't get infected or lose any trunks.  I don't know if Lutescens is tougher or not, or if it was just random bad luck for the Pembana.  I have a bunch more Pembana seedlings and a couple of 1-2 footers in the ground, so I'm trying more of them!

• Like 2

Ah, I grew up in Kissimmee. We got the same short flash freezes then got back to 80 degrees within a couple days.

Where I am in Cali, we do not really see below 28-29 at the coldest so I’m closer to 10a right on the cusp of 9b.

But unlike Florida we are pretty much locked into cool to cold temps from Nov-Mar baring the occasional short lived heat waves that can give us a quick break from the cool.

Both grow like weeds here and love canopy protection.  For comparison:

Pembana - Common Ground - June 12th, 2022:

20220612_Pembana_CommonGround.jpg.2b086855649a61fc4ae10bb0a2d578d3.jpg

Lutescens - Google Street View of Lake Morton Dr in Lakeland - July 2021:

20220701_Lutescens_LakeMorton.jpg.2ffb4c2bf37967d46276ac3f23660547.jpg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F