IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy cold snap question/survival?

newtopalmsMD

For the past 5 years near Olney MD (7a) I have had a couple of Trachy's in the ground.  The last 3 years I have had no protection other than a foot or so of leaf mulch around the roots. and some copper fungicide once a month.  The trachies have about 3 to 4 feet of trunk and the foliage reaches probably 6 feet.   Up till now things have worked out fine.  However on the 23rd of December the temperature dropped from mid 40s to 8F in a span of about 12 hour accompanied by 30+mph winds.  I did wrap 100 incandescent mini xmas lights around the crown of each of the trees, but did not do anything to protect the fronds.  Today the fronds look pretty shriveled (see pics 30F in the afternoon shade)  Any thoughts about the likelihood of survival?  Am I just going to have wait till spring to see if I get new growth?  Anything I should do now?

Thanks

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5005 (1).jpg

• Like 1

It would be best to wrap the palm with one of my dry/breathable methods for the rest of the winter after applying copper fungicide to whole palm.  On my Youtube is examples.  It will survive if rot doesn't take over the spear area.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I would try to drop hydrogen peroxide were the spears grow. To prevent mold. Do it once a month until new and healthy growth. Especially if temperatures do drop below freezing.

Good luck 

Trachy 's are pretty tough and perhaps it is better to leave it alone. You might kill it if you start to mess with it. Most likely it will grow a new spear in spring. 

Conditions weren't that bad, 8F(-13 C) that's nothing for a Trachy. 

It always surprises me how easily Trachy's are damaged on your side of the pond. Mine took 3F (-16 C) with frost for more than a week and not a frond was damaged. 

Perhaps the Trachy's which they sell are from Florida and ours are mostly from Italy and Spain where conditions during the winter
might be a bit harsher. 

Edited by Marco67
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marco67 said:

Trachy 's are pretty tough and perhaps it is better to leave it alone. You might kill it if you start to mess with it. Most likely it will grow a new spear in spring. 

Conditions weren't that bad, 8F(-13 C) that's nothing for a Trachy. 

It always surprises me how easily Trachy's are damaged on your side of the pond. Mine took 3F (-16 C) with frost for more than a week and not a frond was damaged. 

Perhaps the Trachy's which they sell are from Florida and ours are mostly from Italy and Spain where conditions during the winter
might be a bit harsher. 

If you are 8b equivalent and you are getting 3F for a week?     

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

In each of the last winters we have had a couple of nights in the low single digits ad these trachys were pretty much unscathed and I don't remember the fronds closing up like they have.   The two odd things were the huge drop in tempo in a short time 30ish degrees in half a day and the really high winds.  Was thinking of watering them since the highs will be > 50F for the next 8 day with nighttime lows above 32F.  Also  a good time for hydrogen peroxide for trachys and needles.

mine took 8f one night 7f the next this past weekend and windy,  both my trachys  did that to a lesser extent. once they got back up to the mid 30s the fronds opened back up except for anywhere the folds turned to curls. Have yours shown any improvement since it warmed up?