IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How many gallons to water?

adwizard

Hi, I just had a 16 foot silver bismark transplanted in my front yard. I was reading an article that basically said if your bismark came in a 25 gallon container, you should use about 25 gallons of water a day to keep it watered and healthy for the first month or so. So what would the gallon size of water be for a 16 foot bismark? Any ideas? It was transplanted in a well drained area and professionally installed.  I've been spraying water gently around the tree and when the water starts to pool on the sand I let it seep through the sand and quit. I don't know if that's enough water or not for a tree that size. Any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate your advice. 

IMG_20221221_132407322_HDR.jpg.2d89b169a90de25cd0725d80a05fc3fd.jpg

IMG_20221221_132451490_HDR.jpg.957fa43030592e8a97ca1c24d1d9705e.jpg

A cheap 35-gallon plastic trash pail. Drill a few 1/4 inch holes near the bottom, then fill with water. Hopefully it takes a couple hours to drain into the soil.

@adwizardyou'd probably get more responses posting in the regular palm forum instead of the "Palms in Pots" forum.  https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/forum/1-discussing-palm-trees-worldwide/

That being said, Bismarcks have a reputation for being difficult to transplant.  The "25 gallons of water for a 25 gallon pot" is silly, it would be appropriate for some species but would drown others.  Bismarcks seem pretty tolerant of lots of water, I have a ~15 footer in the front "tropical bed" that gets completely drenched every single morning.  And a similarly sized one in the backyard is happy in the middle of my agave bed and gets very little water.  So, the short version is, they can handle a lot or a little bit of water and grow well.  I've seen other people recommend putting a soaker hose on them on "trickle" and let it run for several hours, 2-3x per week.  Just make sure that you are watering the existing rootball.  Right now if it came out of a 25 gallon pot it's only got roots in that small area.  It'll take up to 6 months to really grow out into the surrounding soil. 

You can start fertilizing in 1-2 months after planting.  Use a smaller amount than normal for the first dose, and a "normal" amount mid-spring.

Hope you had a knowledgeable and competent nursery plant it and you have a solid replacement guarantee. Bizzies are notoriously root sensitive. I planted 3g pot-grown specimens in our yard and gingerly cut to pieces the pots around each one to avoid disturbing the roots. I wouldn’t have the nerve to try a large trunking specimen

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.